Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BL Pro Boat Mini-Cat (Now the Mini-C)

I have a question for you. The hardware you used is the same I'm ordering for my project and it says to use .094 cable but all I can find is .098. I see you used .098 was there any issues with that?

Be careful with these guys. http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...tems=25&page=2

I ordered a few things from them in the past.
    Got the wrong Feigao motor (20XL) and they said that it would cost me more to get the motor I paid for originally (9L). Took almost three months to get a rudder from them and it was the wrong one. Wouldn't take it back. Wouldn't answer emails. I was told that they were pulled from ebay for awhile because of their bad customer service. Part of the learning curve when getting into this hobby. Bad Vendors. You might have better luck.
    Last edited by domwilson; 01-30-2008 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Koblitz View Post
    I did the same conversion with my mini V but when I twisted the stuffing tube out it cracked the hull a little near the strut. No big deal, I fixed it with a little ca glue and marine epoxy. I used a pulso 40amp esc, a feigao 16s 2500kv motor, detounged x432, and 3s 1650HV 15c battery. The battery is the weak link but the boat flies. It litterally jumps like 2 feet out of the water if you juice the throttle. I'm going to order this http://www.rcworldwide.com/v5/produc...ini-Hydro.html . and this http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...mcr-mhd&cat=69 which is the same set you ordered. Do you think this will be a decent set-up? The hull is only 16" so I figure I'll have a pretty quick little micro Hydro on my hands.
    I noticed on that site I could just get a micro hydro boat for like $231. but that kind of defeats the purpose of finding a hull for the stuff I got. I also would like to build my own boat but I'll have to figure out what it'll cost for hull, hardware, mount, shaft and a pushrod if the mini-v one doesn't work.
    The same thing happened to my Mini-V (not this Mini-Cat) when I did this to her also, she cracked like yours. She also had a serious issue with torque roll. Being a V hull, she had no left / right stability against the torque. This Mini-Cat, on the other hand, does. It's twin hulls will give her much more stability in defense of the torque than a V hull. Also, she's 14.5" long, only 1.5" shorter than that hydro you want to try. That hydro looks sweet, if you can find a US supplier for one.
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 01-30-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Koblitz View Post
    I have a question for you. The hardware you used is the same I'm ordering for my project and it says to use .094 cable but all I can find is .098. I see you used .098 was there any issues with that?
    The .098 had no issues. You will have to shim the strut if you go with a 1/8 stub (prop) shaft. If you stick with the 3mm shaft, your prop choice will be limited.

...Oh, If you only did the flex shaft mod to your V and left the stock steerable outdrive installed, that also adds to your instability with your V. You hear how the steerable outdrives handle like an 18 wheeler? well imagine a twin turbine 18 wheeler.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    ...Oh, If you only did the flex shaft mod to your V and left the stock steerable outdrive installed, that also adds to your instability with your V. You hear how the steerable outdrives handle like an 18 wheeler? well imagine a twin turbine 18 wheeler.
    Do you really think it will kill the handling? Im really eager to do this but dont want to rob a bank to pay for all these parts I need. If I buy all the parts you mentioned on the first page minus the Mini Hydro hardware and I cut the shaft to fit the stock outdrive run it a few times and figure out that handling is crap and decide to shell out the money to get the Mini Hydro outdrive will my cable still fit or will I need a New one?

thanks

The steerable outdrive modded with the .098 flex shaft alone will not "kill" the handling.
    It's that mod, coupled with overpowering the boat with a brushless motor that will do it.
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 01-30-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff180 View Post
    I cut the shaft to fit the stock outdrive run it a few times and figure out that handling is crap and decide to shell out the money to get the Mini Hydro outdrive will my cable still fit or will I need a New one?

thanks
    Sorry... I missed this part.
    The stock HW needs a longer cable than the Mini Hydro HW. So your cable will still fit with maybe a tiny bit of trimming.
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 01-31-2008 at 12:16 AM.

where the vid of this thing running????? the wait is killing me
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

She should be getting wet on Saturday 2/2/08!

A vid of this is like the Loch Ness Monster,,,,there are rumours, but no-one can actually claim to have evidence yet

I'll alert the media.. .. Just kidding. I just wanted to say that. It's all Dudley Moore's fault!

For reference for the youngsters, Dudley Moore was the star of the movie "Arthur".

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    For reference for the youngsters, Dudley Moore was the star of the movie "Arthur".
    yeah that will help them

good thing they have google for the youngsters
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Ya think we'll get a gps reading too?

any early predictions as to how fast it will be???

Quote Originally Posted by jeff180 View Post
    Do you really think it will kill the handling? Im really eager to do this but dont want to rob a bank to pay for all these parts I need. If I buy all the parts you mentioned on the first page minus the Mini Hydro hardware and I cut the shaft to fit the stock outdrive run it a few times and figure out that handling is crap and decide to shell out the money to get the Mini Hydro outdrive will my cable still fit or will I need a New one?

thanks
    The mod won't hurt the handling (if anything it will help) but he's saying with all the power of BL the upgraded hardware will handle much better then the stock stearable outdrive. But if you are going brushless it's a must to at least do the .098 cable drive because the stock streight drive with the plastic u-joints won't hold up and will cause lots of vibration and resistance causing unwanted heat. So just do theflex drive conversion and you can allways switch the hardware out later. Even if your going to do just run the stock motor the flex is a good upgrade. Some run the upgrade and a 3s lipo which gives great speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti27offshore View Post
    any early predictions as to how fast it will be???
    I predict the vid will be 15 seconds

I will predict....31.625 mph against the wind. 34.950 with the wind.
    If ladies in bikini's present 33.5 then into the wall!!

My real guess is 24-28 mph.

I like the bikini / wall scenario

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    My real guess is 24-28 mph.
    I bet 30mph+ and thanks for the help Dale Koblitz and Diegoboy.
    Who else has done anything to there Mini-v/Mini cat? Lets see.

i predict its gonna be on my shelf Sun 2/3/08

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysouth31 View Post
    i predict its gonna be on my shelf Sun 2/3/08
    i can belive i fell for ur icon

idk u may have to fight for it
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

My guess is that it'll try to leap out of the water, but I will not goose the throttle like last time. 32MPH is my estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzy maxx View Post
    i can belive i fell for ur icon

idk u may have to fight for it
    You fell for it! That is too funny!

Hey Diego, it was nice and sunny here. You know how brittle ABS gets in the cold.

Here's what I have as far as a forecast

What? No 70's or 80's? Like I said, Cold. You don't want Dirty to catch a cold running that cat, do ya?

Dirty is gonna put his renegade against the cat. He was supposed to put the arrow wind against it.

today looks good...
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast