Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turnigy vs hyperion

Polyquest has been terminated. That means all existing products are last buy. No more service or warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    He's not "seeing" things................here's the pic of the Hyperion 20c 7.4v with a tamiya/Molex connector.
    I dont see that battery for sale anywhere in that link though...that could be a battery that is intended for use with starter boxes or something...or it could just be a really old pic.
    As far as Blue lipo, Gens ace, Sky lipo, ect...from what I understand they are re-branded china lipos (zippy, ect.). I think they actually get hobby king's "seconds".

I have had mixed experiences with Turnigy and Zippy. Both perform better than the really cheap cells that brands like venom use, and some as good as high priced lipos, but not consistantly. I have spent a fair share of time running road cars in large open lots at 100 mph+. With those cars you can notice pretty sizable differences on the GPS from one battery to another. I have actually had 20C lipos from HK that GPSed 6mph faster than 40C HK lipos (of equal mah and voltage). I have also received 40C lipos with smaller gauge wire than even some of their 15C lipos.
    Their lipos are capable of performing quite well, but its hard to tell which ones will when ordering them.
    I have nothing against the more expensive brands, but $300+ for a 5s is tough to swallow. Especially if you want 4 or 6 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
    I have not used the Turnigy Nano's Although they should be similar to the Hyperions.
    With that said being that the nano have a higher burst rating & so do the hyperions what is your reasoning for putting the turnigy over then in you numbered list?

Seems having the nanos as some added insurance would be a wise choice for only $5 more wouldn't you say? Also wouldn't this keep your pack temps down also?
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    With that said being that the nano have a higher burst rating & so do the hyperions what is your reasoning for putting the turnigy over then in you numbered list?

Seems having the nanos as some added insurance would be a wise choice for only $5 more wouldn't you say? Also wouldn't this keep your pack temps down also?
    I have not used the Nano Tech so I will not speak for them or make any assumptions as I do not have any hard data. As far as for the Hyperion (ex g3 45/90c), with a cost of almost triple of the Turnigy (40-50c) it does not make it worth while performance wise IMO. I do not use a GPS but I do keep track of data logs, including what gets put back into each pack. Most of my (turnigys) will start to fall off in performance at around the 50-60 cycle range. My Hyperions only have 35 cycles and they are still strong but will have to get 150 cycles without performance drop to make the price justifiable. They are not bad batteries though just a little pricey.

With the exception of my rigger I always use 2p which helps out tremendously with voltage sag. I try to stay within the 80% range of discharge. Proper care and usage will make any battery, cheap or expensive much happier.
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

True very true.
    Dont push them past thier capability and you should be ok.
    I think I'll be trying out the gens ace batteries in the next few months as well as a set of the Turnigy have not decided yet nano or not.
    I guess for $5 more mine as well get the nanos if they are in stock is the way I see it. If not go with regular packs specialy since now the stock them in US warehouse which is nice... Appreciate the input.
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

I just bought some 2s 6000mah 25c-50c & 3s 6000mah 25c-50c nano-techs. So far I have only tried the 3s and so far so good. I like them. I ran them 6s in a twin cat without any issues. No I don't have any data to back them up, but I like them and they charge at a higher charge rate. I just need a charger that can charge them at the higher rate lol... so far I mostly run all turnigy packs. I have had 2 failures to date. 1 was a 2s 5000mah 30c zippy that died the other was a 4000mah 40c turnigy that one cell just would not balance. Other than that I am very VERY happy with the price I pay for the packs. It allows me to stay in this hobby. I mostly run by myself and on occasion with some friends so the HK packs work well for me. Between Leopard motors, Seaking esc's and turnigy packs their prices is the reason I can stay enjoying this hobby.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...131_003212.jpg
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

subscribing :)

Default Vendicated!

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    He's not "seeing" things................here's the pic of the Hyperion 20c 7.4v with a tamiya/Molex connector.
    Thanks for the Pic, I knew I saw a hyperion with a tamiya plug. I just couldnt remember where. Wow, wonder how long it takes the plug to melt?

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless1 View Post
    Thanks for the Pic, I knew I saw a hyperion with a tamiya plug. I just couldnt remember where. Wow, wonder how long it takes the plug to melt?
    That is very old. They don't even make 20C packs anymore. Here is a pic of the current 25C 2S 4000 pack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

After reading this it is funny how we complain about cheep china lipos, having at least 20 of them in our toolbox/lipobox... They will fail, puff, go out of the balance, burn, melt etc but yet they are sometimes out of stock at HK!!!!
    Not only that, click arround here on the forums browsing for pictures and videos of our set ups and what you see????? Cheep lipos on at least 95% of pictures and videos posted....
    No point fighting what brand is good what brand is not. We all have a choice and it looks like most of us are going the afordable way anyways...
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    After reading this it is funny how we complain about cheep china lipos, having at least 20 of them in our toolbox/lipobox... They will fail, puff, go out of the balance, burn, melt etc but yet they are sometimes out of stock at HK!!!!
    Not only that, click arround here on the forums browsing for pictures and videos of our set ups and what you see????? Cheep lipos on at least 95% of pictures and videos posted....
    No point fighting what brand is good what brand is not. We all have a choice and it looks like most of us are going the afordable way anyways...
    Well said!
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
    - Mark Twain

think we wil always complain about stuff we spendt our hard earned money on.
    that saied. im pritty shure it would feel all that worse if it was $200 hyperion batteries we was puffing and so on rather then a $50 turnigy.

i think the bottom line is hyperion is the better battery IF you need it to preform 100% every time in a race. if you can live with 80-90% preformance for 1\3 of the price then turnigy is your choise.
    just my €0.2

Good thread!
    Ill say this:
    I am in RC boating a while now and went thru few races, small and large.
    Let me tell you, I was not able to see one person not using China LiPos yet!
    Not only that, when I walk arround to say Hi to all and see boats, China lipos are all over the place!!! Tons of them, everywhere....
    And than there was other brands including hyperion...
    Opps, little off the topic...
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LiPo Power View Post
    Good thread!
    Ill say this:
    I am in RC boating a while now and went thru few races, small and large.
    Let me tell you, I was not able to see one person not using China LiPos yet!
    Not only that, when I walk arround to say Hi to all and see boats, China lipos are all over the place!!! Tons of them, everywhere....
    And than there was other brands including hyperion...
    Opps, little off the topic...
    That's for sure. And Hyperion is just another China lipo.

I am going to test out the turnigy lipo's in a high end boat (maybe) and want to double check my numbers with an experienced brain. Here is the setup...

41" Osprey. 1527 1Y 1250kv. esc (likely hydra 240hv or equiv.). 450/3 blade prop.

I want to ride 8S2P with a total of 12000mah at 35C. Will the turnigy cells hold up to say, 100 cycles in one season? I have to date been only using the turnigy in my trucks and micro boat and I actually was not happy with the run time I end up seeing but for the money I can cut it short a minute. FOr a grand total of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
    I am going to test out the turnigy lipo's in a high end boat (maybe) and want to double check my numbers with an experienced brain. Here is the setup...

41" Osprey. 1527 1Y 1250kv. esc (likely hydra 240hv or equiv.). 450/3 blade prop.

I want to ride 8S2P with a total of 12000mah at 35C. Will the turnigy cells hold up to say, 100 cycles in one season? I have to date been only using the turnigy in my trucks and micro boat and I actually was not happy with the run time I end up seeing but for the money I can cut it short a minute. FOr a grand total of 4.
    where are you finding 6000mah 4s turnigys? I only see up to 5800's... which would make a total of 11600mah in 2p format.... I myself would buy the 4s 5000mah 40c turnigys... same kind of money basically $50 each NEW... I have had great luck with them.... and definately if cared for properly 100 runs is achievable... but they probably wont perfrom as well on the 100th cycle as well as the 20th... :) for me it doesn't matter much as my batts would take 6 years to see 100 cycles and by then there is much newer tech to go wih...

Quote Originally Posted by Boatman View Post

The Turnigies have been tested @88mph in my 45" HPR cat with a pair of Leopard 4092 motor. Nothing but just slightly warm, very comfortable to hold in hand.

I run 5000mAh 6S packs, 2X or 4X in my setup. the oldest one was purchase in summer2009 and now I can hardly find any major degradation in IR or capacity on my 0720i charger.

Quote Originally Posted by JMSCARD View Post
    where are you finding 6000mah 4s turnigys?...
    Great! thanks for the input. I will order them. I am running 8S2P which I planned on going with 4S 3000mah packs for total of 6000mah per side. 12000 total. Sounds like it shoud work fine. I was flightpower for life then, well you know. I then went to hyperion which have been flawless for racing and sport so this is my big leap to the (inexpensive) packs.

Run time is the best. I used to be building soo many boats I would have nothing to run. Not this year!!!

EDIT: HA! My math is off. that would only be a total of 6000mah. sorry you are correct. I will step that number up a bit:)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12