Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery options for Miss Geico

Default Battery options for Miss Geico

Being new to this hobby I need advice on batteries
    Ive have a new Proboat Miss Geico stock of course
    It calls for 2S 5000 c25
    Can you or should you use larger batteries than recommended
    Ive read on here that guys are using 4s-5s on the stock speed control with no problem

Im going to be buying 3 or 4 set of batteries here in the next few day and dont know if i should get all the same 2s 5000 stock ones or mix it up with a few 4s and 5s

Thanks
    Last edited by Boatcrazy; 02-26-2011 at 05:31 PM.

First, where are you getting the 25c max info? It recommends 25c on the battery choices, but I believe that is the minimum recommended specs.

When you run two 2S in series, you get 4S. So I would buy 2S and 3S batteries (40C if you can). This will allow you to run 4S and 5S. Be sure to read up on what to do to run 5S on the stock esc, as some have blown it running 5S (prop size and external battery I think).
    Make sure to tape the canopy down and Have Fun!!!

Get 2S and do not worry about C rating, the higher the better.
    Anything up from 2S will concider moding so like the above post stating, you need to read about it....
    Great boat!!!
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by lectriglide View Post
    First, where are you getting the 25c max info? It recommends 25c on the battery choices, but I believe that is the minimum recommended specs.

When you run two 2S in series, you get 4S. So I would buy 2S and 3S batteries (40C if you can). This will allow you to run 4S and 5S. Be sure to read up on what to do to run 5S on the stock esc, as some have blown it running 5S (prop size and external battery I think).
    Make sure to tape the canopy down and Have Fun!!!
    Ok
    So if i read this right I run 2S x2 i get 4S thats safe to use
    Or I can run one 2s and one 3s i get 5s I need some minor mods as Ive read in the threads here so I dont fry the esc

So if the pro boat said 2s 5000mah battery that mean only using 1?
    Sorry I know this is simple but Im just making sure I looking at this the right way
    Im new LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatcrazy View Post
    So if the pro boat said 2s 5000mah battery that mean only using 1?
    Sorry I know this is simple but Im just making sure I looking at this the right way
    Im new LOL
    If you read carefully, it says there will be one on each side ie 2. Look at the esc wires, do you not see 2 connectors wired in series?

Quote Originally Posted by lectriglide View Post
    If you read carefully, it says there will be one on each side ie 2. Look at the esc wires, do you not see 2 connectors wired in series?

Im new Im just making sure I understand everthing before I spend a bunch of money on batteries

2 X 2S LiPo 5000mAh, whatever C, that is it!!!!
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Thanks Lipo

OK, FE fans. I pick up my new Miss Geico tomorrow and I've been having a hard time finding batteries, sooooo , I found 2 x 2s 4000mah 40c turnigy batteries at a decent price. Will I see any major difference in performance or just run time.
    I appreciate anyone's help.

Run time...
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

3 min?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    3 min?
    All other things being equal, you will probably get about a minute less run time than the 5000 mah.

Thanks, really had no idea. I'd rather give up a little run time instead of performance. I think the plan is to put a Turnigy 180 esc in it and then just play with the batteries and prop until the motor goes up in smoke. I did order a balanced x642, from what I've read so far that seems to be one of the more popular all around props.

Starting with X642 is a good idea.
    If you are not planning on changing the stock motor 120Amp ESC will do the job more than fine... T-180 is one of the most popular ESC's out there for few more dollars for sure but if you staying with 4S there is no reason for it...
    Cheers
    Robert

Thanks, really had no idea. I'd rather give up a little run time instead of performance. I think the plan is to put a Turnigy 180 esc in it and then just play with the batteries and prop until the motor goes up in smoke. I did order a balanced x642, from what I've read so far that seems to be one of the more popular all around props.
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

The reason I was thinking T-180 , at some point I'd like to go to 6s and really try to get her to fly. If I want to do that I do need the T-180 right? or is there a better way to go?

Got it....

The reason I was thinking T-180 , at some point I'd like to go to 6s and really try to get her to fly. If I want to do that I do need the T-180 right? or is there a better way to go?
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Hey LiPo thanks for the help. If I do decide to go the 6s route should I just change all the connectors to 5.5 bullet and 8 wires? I think the stock wires are 14 awg.

5.5 yes, right away! Wires yes when possible...
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Hi Ripper, could you give us an update on what how teh diferent batteries and props worked out for you?

Maiden voyage tomorrow or Sunday no matter what. Gonna try it out stock with a upgrade OSE flex shaft, Octura x642 and 2 Turnigy 2s 5000 mAh 40c. I'm anxious to get her in the water and see what she'll do before I start to improve her. Have to know where to start. So this weekend will be the fact finding mission. I didn't even put the offset rudder on yet. Thought I'd try and see how flat I can get her to run with trim and battery placement. So wish me luck. I'll let you know Monday how it worked out and hopefully a couple of pics.

Met a guy just the other day with a Ms. Geico he had rigged for 5S (3S + 2S). Looked great!

One note to mention on matching up batteries to run in series-- you can combine a 3S with a 2S to make 5S, but be sure the battery C-rating and MAH are *always* the same, and highly suggest keeping the brand the same as well.

Cheers

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by BHChieftain View Post
    Met a guy just the other day with a Ms. Geico he had rigged for 5S (3S + 2S). Looked great!

One note to mention on matching up batteries to run in series-- you can combine a 3S with a 2S to make 5S, but be sure the battery C-rating and MAH are *always* the same, and highly suggest keeping the brand the same as well.

Cheers

Chief
    even doing that i noticed my 2s pack would always come back roughly 10f degrees hotter then the 3s pack. Smoked a 2s pack one day and almost lost the boat, ever since i've been stuck on running 4s and if i was gonna go up id move to 6s.

However plenty are doing the 5s thing with no issues. If i did do 5s it would be 5s2p or just one 5s cell in the middle or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    even doing that i noticed my 2s pack would always come back roughly 10f degrees hotter then the 3s pack. Smoked a 2s pack one day and almost lost the boat, ever since i've been stuck on running 4s and if i was gonna go up id move to 6s.

However plenty are doing the 5s thing with no issues. If i did do 5s it would be 5s2p or just one 5s cell in the middle or something.
    I run 5S2P config myself with 2 sets of 3S+2S (on a toysport triton)

Chief

Well guys the maiden voyage yesterday was a big success. I ran through 2 sets of batteries a 2x2s 4000 40c and 2x2s 5000 40c and all ran great. I put the batteries near COG the rear of the batteries were aout 1/2 inch from the back of the trays. Bounced a little but not enough to worry about. Didn't have a gps but looked like it was running an honest 35mph maybe a little faster with the x642 plenty of power. On my way back to dock on the last run I hit a little pc. of junk, twig or something and knock the brass bushing in the top of the rudder out, so now it is very loose on top. Is that something thats available or do I have to try and make one? Think I'm going to try the offset rudder next week. Overall I'm really happy with the way it ran, handled great too. Anyone who can help with the bushing issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also think I'm going to move the prop up about 1/8 inch. I think the set up can handle a little more height.

did you notice any differeance in run times between the 4000mah and the 5000mah packs??

Not really..............maybe a minute or so but I think the more mAh the better and definitly go for the highest discharge rate you can. I've been running only 40c discharge rate batteries and they scream. I just ordered a couple of 3s so I can try it at 5s. Should run awsome. I'll keep you posted

Ya I have 2x2s 25c 6000mah packs and 2x2s 40c 5000mah packs and havent run them yet. Just wondering what would give the longer run times, Iam kinda new to the FE boats. Thanks.

When i run 5s (2+3s) with 4000mah I get almost at the spot 4 min run time.
    T 180 esc with timing @ 15 . stock motor with 5,5mm bullets and a prather 215.
    Lots of fun, 5s is the safe way to get more fun and speed I think.
    On 6s I feel like I need a bigger place to run :-) and I have not got rid of the wa wa wa with strutt and battery adjusments, so today the offset rudder is on and I will test after work.
    Drammen rock City

Quote Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post
    When i run 5s (2+3s) with 4000mah I get almost at the spot 4 min run time.
    T 180 esc with timing @ 15 . stock motor with 5,5mm bullets and a prather 215.
    Lots of fun, 5s is the safe way to get more fun and speed I think.
    On 6s I feel like I need a bigger place to run :-) and I have not got rid of the wa wa wa with strutt and battery adjusments, so today the offset rudder is on and I will test after work.
    Maxmekker, did you run the 6s yet? If so, how did it go? I'm gonna try 5s this weekend. Looking forward to the extra speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast