Thread: Micro Hydro Floatation

Default Micro Hydro Floatation

I've read a few sad stories about precious boats visiting Davey Jones Locker never to return. So does anyone have any suggestions for floatation in a Micro Hydro. Type of material; how much; where to attach it and with what. Thanks for your help.

pool noodles, cut to shape, stick em with glue or just stuff them under the deck

Second the pool noodle, I got too impatient with my first Minicat rigger used cheap hatch tape, it was just going to be a "test run" I had put no floatation in and down she went. Naturally it was at the furthest point in the lake from me when it happened!

Two lessons learned use good quality hatch tape and flotation.
    Peter
    Last edited by CaptPJB; 02-26-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo

Yep, pool noodles are our recommendation also. Don't stuff it in there so tight that you split the deck seam! Be sure to cut and glue a small sliver under the hatch! People lose the hatches all the time!

Use good hatch tape! We use hockey tape. Seems to stick the best. OSE sells it:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=hatch-tape
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Yep, pool noodles are our recommendation also. Don't stuff it in there so tight that you split the deck seam! Be sure to cut and glue a small sliver under the hatch! People lose the hatches all the time!

Use good hatch tape! We use hockey tape. Seems to stick the best. OSE sells it:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=hatch-tape
    What type of glue is suitable for sticking pool noodles. Thanks.

I've used medium CA, 5 minute epoxy, or silicone rubber. All work fine. Make the foam in the front/sides fit snug and you won't need to glue them!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Thanks Sailr, Would only use glue on the hatch. Martin.

Great information. Never thought about pool noodles, that material is way more stable than styrofoam. Thanks that's way I'll go.

It is important to note if you are stuffing pool noodles into the hull to make sure the cooling lines are not pinched.

Also, in addition to pool noodles, some of us also use pink refrigerator foam. Often you can pick this up for free at local sources. It is super dense, non-porous and doesn't soak up water as pool noodles sometimes can.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    It is important to note if you are stuffing pool noodles into the hull to make sure the cooling lines are not pinched.

Also, in addition to pool noodles, some of us also use pink refrigerator foam. Often you can pick this up for free at local sources. It is super dense, non-porous and doesn't soak up water as pool noodles sometimes can.
    Good info thank you. I always wondered about using a 8lb fishing line (braided) and using epoxy and glue it to the hatch/hull instead so it's permanently attached. It would be lighter if you need to be as light as possible, and or can help with space if the hatch area is small.

what sort of business would have refrigerator foam? I've never heard of it.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

If you get any small air packets they use for shipping material. Not the type you twist to snap.

I used 2 part Urethane Pour Foam for mine really stiffened up the sponsons
    Last edited by JimClark; 02-28-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Thats how you do it. Yes the foam when done right will make that hull truly rigid . That how i did my 16th atlas. Jim I love your small scales they look so good.I used "REGULAR" expanding foam not the triple and i didnt do it all at once i used is sparingly in anticipation of expansion. We use this stuf in trunks when I do a car stereo job to help deaden the trunk. This stuff was strong enough to deform the trunk lid over the internal beams.It will bend steel!

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    what sort of business would have refrigerator foam? I've never heard of it.
    I think they even sell a variation at Home Depot. I believe they use in commercial HVAC, restaurant refrigeration, etc. Danny has scavenged some for us several times in the past. I keep working off of the same pieces I have around. I'll see if I can get you a better definition of the stuff and perhaps some places to find it.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Be careful. Some of that stuff will harden on the outside and then continue to expand on the inside....splitting your hull!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I haven't noticed any expanding of this stuff. It seems to all by hygroscopic.

Hmmm, do you know what it's called? The foam in an aerosol can has caused many lots of grief! How does it work if it doesn't expand?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

It's not spray in. It comes in 2 to 2 1/2" thick sheets we cut to size.

Aha. The discussion was about the expanding stuff so couldn't figure out what you were talking about.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com