Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPBA’s new P-limited “spec” class rule proposal.

So, not to interrupt, but since everyone's reading this including local folks, someone shoot me a PM and let me know when the work weekend is for Old Dominion.

Thanks!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post

Please people, read all the posts if you're going to comment.
    I apologize for the misinterpretation Mike. I have a better understanding of your post now that you have clarified.

Chilli,

I was not calling you out. I was talking about the other posts where people were really laying into Dick and James. I just wanted people to know that there was even more input than just Dick and James!

I am not sure why NAMBA is being brought up. Last I checked NAMBA and IMPBA are two different organizations. If they were to be the same, would we call it IMNAPBA? haha

And once again, I will say, I don't know why 120a controllers need to be the rule. Why cannot all 60a controllers be the rule???? Someone supporting the 120a controller answer me that? There always seems to be a side step. Tell me why a 60a controller rule for 60a motors is not good enough?

If you keep doing this sooner or later the class will fail....
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Well, maybe I will just stay home and run at the local pond by myself. The more I think about it, I had more fun doing that without all the headache of argument and disagreement. Probably a lot cheaper too. I might just go back to building boats only for myself as well....
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    Well, maybe I will just stay home and run at the local pond by myself. The more I think about it, I had more fun doing that without all the headache of argument and disagreement. Probably a lot cheaper too. I might just go back to building boats only for myself as well....
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Naw, Im done. I'm going back in the hole I came out of. People would rather race with no rules, so screw it....

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You guys sure are touchy. Makes me want to join a club!

Well, in the spirit of discussions and considering that we are entertaining all ideas. I'll provide the reference to UK's ELECTRA: http://www.electrafying.com/ click on "Race Classes" on the left menu. (Electra is the longest established fast electric model boat club in the UK. Affiliated to the Model Power Boat Association (MPBA) which is affiliated to Naviga. Members race at local, national, international and world level.)

They limit classes by the weight of the lipo. I'm not implying that anyone should adapt this approach, but it is worth reviewing what works for other entities throughout the world. I often converse with many folks involved with Electra. If you would like more information or to discuss their experiences, then let me know. I will provide an introduction and get out of the way for one on one discussions of the good, the bad, and the ugly as well as lessons learned in the past.

In the meantime, rather than constructive criticism that often gets misinterpreted. Let's continue to have an open discussion to bring to light issues and ultimate goals for this class. If I might suggest, perhaps a different class should be considered or adapted which would allow for all parties to participate at a higher level. After all, we're all here to have fun.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

cybercyxt
    I am not sure why NAMBA is being brought up. Last I checked NAMBA and IMPBA are two different organizations.
    Mike
    I bring NAMBA up for three reasons.

1. We have been running spec classes in NAMBA for many years. In the last couple years we established a rules committee that invoved members from every geographical area in the US and Canada for the purpose of hamering out the P-Limited rules that will be coming out shortly for the vote. There is no esc restriction in this proposal. A very large group of racers from across the country agreed to this. There is precidence here that IMPBA should consider if they are willing to consider all the facts and implications.

2. There are many of us that run with clubs that are both NAMBA and IMPBA. MY home club is NAMBA. Then we have just recently teamed up with a local nitro club that is IMPBA. Sean and I have grown the P-Limited classes in the nitro club from 4 of us electric members to what we think will be an additional 6 members from the nitro group this year. We don't run mixed classes. This makes no since to us and we just know it won't fly anyway. We are getting the nitro converts because of the speeds we are showing with the P-Limited set ups. Our P-Limited set ups are way faster than their counter part boats so we know a mixed class will never work.

3. Many of us travel the country to race. Doesn't matter if it is IMPBA or NAMBA. Been to Ontario Canada, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Arizona, Colorado and even Germany. Looking to continue to travel to places I have not been to, to race. Without some uniformity in rules some of our traveling plans will be restricted to what fits our set ups. Not a big deal of course as we have a lot of venues we can go to.

So far the discussion has at least been civil. No reason for anyone to get heated.

Doug
    Last edited by DPeterson; 02-23-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Well, in the spirit of discussions and considering that we are entertaining all ideas. I'll provide the reference to UK's ELECTRA: http://www.electrafying.com/ click on "Race Classes" on the left menu. (Electra is the longest established fast electric model boat club in the UK. Affiliated to the Model Power Boat Association (MPBA) which is affiliated to Naviga. Members race at local, national, international and world level.)

They limit classes by the weight of the lipo. I'm not implying that anyone should adapt this approach, but it is worth reviewing what works for other entities throughout the world. I often converse with many folks involved with Electra. If you would like more information or to discuss their experiences, then let me know. I will provide an introduction and get out of the way for one on one discussions of the good, the bad, and the ugly as well as lessons learned in the past.

In the meantime, rather than constructive criticism that often gets misinterpreted. Let's continue to have an open discussion to bring to light issues and ultimate goals for this class. If I might suggest, perhaps a different class should be considered or adapted which would allow for all parties to participate at a higher level. After all, we're all here to have fun.
    Battery technology continues to change and thus weight changes...using battery weight as a spec doesn't make sense...JMHO.
    Support US hobby suppliers

That's cool Doug P. No worries. I am gonna go back to where I started. The local college pond. That way I don't need to worry about whats going on. I have said my peace, I thought it was fair, but people on this site (not you), don't want ANY rules. They want it as open ended as possible. I know, because I had to deal with this in D12 last year. They felt restrictions limited the FE success against the nitro guys (we had to mix classes due to lack of FE guys showing up (go figure), and nothing was further from the truth. Half of the people fighting up here don't even race. They keyboard, and that's the sad part about all of it. The people that raced our district liked, and understood the rules, and had fun. But you always get a group that has not raced, yet feel they know more than anyone else. I got into RC for fun, not to argue over such petty stuff. 60amp controllers in a Tunnel are all you need. And just so you do know Doug, I don't think we are talking about anything other than tunnels. Monos can use other controllers as there is a need in that class. That may be where some of this is getting misconstrued in this thread????

Amen Mike...

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Douggie, I respect you, but in this case you are really out in left field. If you don't think that the ESC can be a significant advantage, you really need to study ESCs a little harder.

NOT arguing for anything, one way or the other (I'll "run what I brung"), but just sayin...
    I am always out on left field Darin and yes I understand timing controls on an ESC, but frankly I think this issue is a tempest in a teapot.

Douggie

Guys it is simple. GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND write a proposal. I don't mean 4 or 5 proposals. Email it to your district director and the FE director. There is a forum on the IMPBA web site (IMPBA.NET). Work out the details of the proposal under the FE forum.
    Remember this is an IMPBA member’s forum. Sean being you started the post I think you should lead the way. The proposal requires 5 signatures Please have the people working on it sign it.

This crap needs to stop all it is going to do is drive people away from our hobby.

Kevin Sheren
    IMPBA President

New to FE

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    That's cool Doug P. No worries. I am gonna go back to where I started. The local college pond. That way I don't need to worry about whats going on. I have said my peace, I thought it was fair, but people on this site (not you), don't want ANY rules. They want it as open ended as possible. I know, because I had to deal with this in D12 last year. They felt restrictions limited the FE success against the nitro guys (we had to mix classes due to lack of FE guys showing up (go figure), and nothing was further from the truth. Half of the people fighting up here don't even race. They keyboard, and that's the sad part about all of it. The people that raced our district liked, and understood the rules, and had fun. But you always get a group that has not raced, yet feel they know more than anyone else. I got into RC for fun, not to argue over such petty stuff. 60amp controllers in a Tunnel are all you need. And just so you do know Doug, I don't think we are talking about anything other than tunnels. Monos can use other controllers as there is a need in that class. That may be where some of this is getting misconstrued in this thread????
    As far as I can tell, I'm the only person that has not raced and haven't claimed to either. I thought this was an open discussion. It matters not that I was unable to race last season for reasons that don't concern anyone but myself.

For our local area, the apparent issue for FE is lack of participation and new members. For this reason alone, I decided to chime in, based on my diligent efforts to get more folks locally to become involved with the hobby. At the same time, there are several FE boaters that cannot find their place at local IMPBA races. These are the same folks that have run IC in the past with Old Dominion (making every race for years) and have no interest running in novice/beginner classes. Admittedly, this is an expensive hobby, but there's no reason to make it unnecessarily cost prohibitive when there are other options or exclude any ideas for growth in the future.

Valid points and valuable input regarding amps for various types of boats.

I will bear the criticism for the group to put these statements to rest without escalation. Please consider that there are more folks that read in the wings than post. In the interest of open discussions, let's keep generalizations and criticism out of the mix. Meanwhile, it seems best I go silent again rather than continue to stir up emotions. We're all in FE for fun, simple as that.

I will say though that your efforts in FE specifically for D12 are greatly appreciated by all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheren View Post
    Guys it is simple. GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND write a proposal. I don't mean 4 or 5 proposals. Email it to your district director and the FE director. There is a forum on the IMPBA web site (IMPBA.NET). Work out the details of the proposal under the FE forum.
    Remember this is an IMPBA member’s forum. Sean being you started the post I think you should lead the way. The proposal requires 5 signatures Please have the people working on it sign it.

This crap needs to stop all it is going to do is drive people away from our hobby.

Kevin Sheren
    IMPBA President

New to FE
    Thanks Kevin. http://impba.net/

Mike, Chilli, Chuck, Dick, Danny, Kent. Hang tough guys, what you are experiencing is just a bump in the road. Keep doing what you are doing and you'll enjoy the gwowth, both new, and IC crossovers that we have seen here including the guys from D3.
    Have a great day EVERYONE and I hope to see you at the pond!!
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 02-23-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Right on Kevin. Git er done. Nice to see you chiming in by the way.

No rules? I missed that one. I thought the only point of contention was the esc.

I'm with you Doug. I want to be able to travel to a race with boats that fit both organizations. London in the fall is on my list of to do's. That race is only an hour from me. Last time I went I had to re-think the wheel on some of my boats. That's the primary reason I mentioned NAMBA. Plus, there's plenty of reference material to draw from.

Spec could be the largest attended FE classes for both orgs. That's more likely if the rules are similar.

I have opted out of P-limited hydro, but I will race my P-limited tunnel. Maybe half way through this season I may throw a P-limited hydro in the water. Only because there is no P-hydro class yet.

Meniscus;

As far as I know, (according to Don), the OD club still does NOT have permission to run there as yet.

Might have changed by know, ya never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheren View Post

Kevin Sheren
    IMPBA President

New to FE
    I hear you loud and clear Kevin.

Just because I haven’t submitted any rule proposals doesn’t mean that I haven’t been busy busting my butt to grow model boating in my own district, especially where FE is concerned.

I believe that you told me on the phone back in December that discussing things like this in an Internet forum, even if it’s on IMPBA’s forum, can lead to communications being misconstrued through the keyboard. I think that we should take a step back, and have a conference call to discuss how this might take place first. We can use my conf bridge. Then work towards moving the discussion there.

Sweet, what's the conf number and passcode?

Oh wait... am I invited? lol

Quote Originally Posted by carlcisneros View Post
    Meniscus;

As far as I know, (according to Don), the OD club still does NOT have permission to run there as yet.

Might have changed by know, ya never know.
    Understood, thanks. I'll look into the other ponds and see what the landowners say. The good thing is, IC noise is not an issue.

How does the pre race and post race inspection work. Is each and every boat inspected after the race? I bet it would be very easy to cheat. Such as disguising a 5s pack to look like a 4s pack.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I have never lost a motor but have smoked a few ESC's. IMO the ESC is the fuse - not the motor. I think it boils down to the nitro folks wanting to keep the advantage in mixed races.
    Not even remotely close to being accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I think the nitro guys want the FE guys to have just as many DNF's as they have.
    Enough already! You keep acting like that and see how long we have a place to play with our FE stuff. This us vs. them crap serves no purpose and offers no solutions, it just creates an un-needed divide that WE DON'T NEED! We are the the smallest faction of the r/c world and ALL need to work together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    Novice allows you to "run what you got" and find out you have a lot yet to learn.
    A most brilliant and sometimes painfully honest statement that brings a breath of fresh air in the midst of all this bunk.

And BTW- the funniest part of all of this is ... now everyone pay attention .... our D12 2010 B/P-spec hydro class (nitro and FE combined) was won by a by the rules P-spec boat. Yup it ain't working.......

Toy boats gang, let's put fun first.

Cabin fever - creating unrest in a boating community near you.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post

HAHA Don I promise to go back into the shop tonight and work on a boat.

I have to agree with Don on this one. I've never run into an us vs. them attitude. I won A-mod tunnel at the GP Classic last weekend with my spec boat. No bad feelings at all. In fact, the nitro guys seemed to be pretty impressed with the performance and reliability.

That being said, I'm still not a fan of running mixed classes unless there just aren't enough boats to run them separately. It's really hard to beat a well setup FE boat for reliability and finishing heats. That's not meant as a slam at the nitro guys, it's just a very different technology.

Just my .02
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    How does the pre race and post race inspection work. Is each and every boat inspected after the race? I bet it would be very easy to cheat. Such as disguising a 5s pack to look like a 4s pack.
    Keith get yourself out to the pond and we'll show you!
    We've never had a protest.There was a motor in question at one of our races but the mention of a KV meter seemed to have solved that.

Sean IMO The IMPBA fourm is a great place to have a discussion. Anyone interested that is a IMPBA member can take part, and the RULES are clear. ZERO tolerance for BS. I know we can all agree on that.
    D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    I have to agree with Don on this one. I've never run into an us vs. them attitude. I won A-mod tunnel at the GP Classic last weekend with my spec boat. No bad feelings at all. In fact, the nitro guys seemed to be pretty impressed with the performance and reliability.

That being said, I'm still not a fan of running mixed classes unless there just aren't enough boats to run them separately. It's really hard to beat a well setup FE boat for reliability and finishing heats. That's not meant as a slam at the nitro guys, it's just a very different technology.

Just my .02
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by don ferrette View Post
    Not even remotely close to being accurate.
    Enough already! You keep acting like that and see how long we have a place to play with our FE stuff. This us vs. them crap serves no purpose and offers no solutions, it just creates an un-needed divide that WE DON'T NEED! We are the the smallest faction of the r/c world and ALL need to work together.
    A most brilliant and sometimes painfully honest statement that brings a breath of fresh air in the midst of all this bunk.

And BTW- the funniest part of all of this is ... now everyone pay attention .... our D12 2010 B/P-spec hydro class (nitro and FE combined) was won by a by the rules P-spec boat. Yup it ain't working.......

Toy boats gang, let's put fun first.

You chose to eliminate the sarcasm emoticons I had added to my statements. I had a great time racing this year and was the only member of ODMBA that ran only electric boats. If you would have been at the ODMBA banquet you would have seen the smile I had when I excepted these awards. You can read this any way you want but respect is earned not demanded.

P.S. I provide FE modified props to folks all over the world and I am happy to do this in my spare time to promote a hobby that I like to be involved in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast