Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPBA’s new P-limited “spec” class rule proposal.

What controllers were proposed?

REMEMBER Folks;

These PROPOSED RULES are for NATIONAL RACES <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As far as the district races are concerned, keep going with what has been set up in your
    particular districts.

What if your district is just as strict?

When will the...
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Come up with a proposal Danny, lobby to the voting D12 club officers whose contacts are in the D-12 web site and bring it up at the winter meeting.

I'm going to be honest though, Dick and James from ODMBA were the ones who wanted the spec controllers in he first place so I don't think it's going to fly. But you never know unless you try.

If it works in D12 it must work everywhere.

How'd it do at the IMPBA FE Nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    If it works in D12 it must work everywhere.

How'd it do at the IMPBA FE Nationals?
    Is there something different outside of the South East and Mid Atlantic that would prevent these rules from being successfull elsewhere? Asian Carp perhaps?

I don't know. I'm not sure when the last IMPBA FE Nats was. I think it may have been three years ago in Canada when 20C lipos were the hot ticket.

So... if you guys get your proposal to restrict controllers... how are you going to handle changing supplier specifications? How will you balance the fact that the PB ESCs have adjustable timing, and the AQ ESCs do not (currently anyhow)? Can additional caps be added?? Etc.?? Has this thing been thought out to that level???

Just curious....
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Is there something different outside of the South East and Mid Atlantic that would prevent these rules from being successfull elsewhere? .
    Well, you're proposing a national set of rules. Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out what's working in the "nation" and not just in D12? The proposal Newland drafted for NAMBA was based on testing from coast to coast.

I was at the IMPBA FE nats in London. Had to run a 700 motor in LSH. Snore. The spec setups were out then we just hhhhhad to do it by the book. The FE chair ran nitro at that race.

The fact that there hasn't been an IMPBA nats in 3+ years is part of my point. I suppose if this new set is only FOR NATIONAL RACES!!!!! as was emphatically pointed out.........and there aren't any NATIONAL RACES........then they're basically irrelavent.

I am SUCH a weany. haha

I am SUCH a weany. haha
    Apparently... Winter "silly season" is just setting in... a little late, but you knew it would get here!

No time to worry to much about it here... just let me know what the rules are where to show up to race... I can race my spec stuff either way, and, in fact, choose to run the stock ESCs when I can... it's water proof, and seems to work fine in most cases. Great for 1/10th Scale as well... (where the boats tend to not be dry...)
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Darin is right about winter. Too much time on the computer. Not enough time on the pond.

Terry, I figured thats where you were going with the IMPBA FE Nationals Statement. Which goes back to the last sentence in my previous post about leadership. The IMPBA President is on this board and so it the IMPBA Gas director. The FE Director? I bet over half IMPBA membership on this board have no idea who the IMPBA FE director is. A whole different can of worms!! I believe elections will be in the fall.

I was at the IMPBA FE nats in London. Had to run a 700 motor in LSH. Snore.

That must have been a coulpe of years ago.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    What controllers were proposed?

Apparently its a secret.........

I guess the new rule is: show up at the NATIONAL race with your boat and whoever guessed the right ESCs WINS!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    So... if you guys get your proposal to restrict controllers... how are you going to handle changing supplier specifications? How will you balance the fact that the PB ESCs have adjustable timing, and the AQ ESCs do not (currently anyhow)? Can additional caps be added?? Etc.?? Has this thing been thought out to that level???

Just curious....
    If racer A opts to run a UL-1 esc without timing adjustments, and racer B opts to run a cheaper turnigy 120A that can adj timing (and chooses to do so) it's not "unfair" if racer A looses consistantly because racer A can still opt to sell his UL-1 ESC, buy a T-120, adv the timing too, and make a profit because the T-120's are cheaper.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hey, you might even get a few people talking in the pits about their setup. You'd loose some of that if everyone's setup is the exact same.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    You'd loose some of that if everyone's setup is the exact same.
    I doubt that. There really is no way to shut some of us up. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    I'm going to be honest though, Dick and James from ODMBA were the ones who wanted the spec controllers in he first place so I don't think it's going to fly.
    So what Dick and James want in D12 is what should become national policy for all IMPBA FE racers

How long have Dick and James been racing FE?

Why impose any new rules on this small FE class? There are barely enough of us to hold national events. If a local club wants to spec ESCs fine. If a club wants to host a national FE race event and spec the ESCs fine... although their attendance might suffer for that decision. Why do we need to legislate this now on a national basis?

Lets give it some time. THERE IS NO HURRY. It will only cause hard feelings and exclude many of us that have worked very hard to grow this class.

I wonder what the attendance will look like at the next IMPBA Nats if a majority of us can't run the event without buying new ESCs for each boat.

We in the IMPBA FE community also have much more to lose with a rule proposal such as this. WHAT IF this rule gets viewed by some of the old guard nitro/gas guys (the current majority in IMPBA) as an attempt to take over their predominantly nitro events, and they decide to kill it for fear of it pushing out some of the nitro classes. That does not help FE.

I have to deal with this right now in my own district. Our race schedule is booked with nitro/gas classes. Anytime you talk about a FE class they want you to pound sand because it might push out one of their classes.

I'm in good shape Terry, I stand on my own merit.
    BTW We have been paying attention.

Guys relax. D4 is going to step up to the plate and get this done. If they don't we'll send ours in because we said we would.
    As for me PERSONALLY I'll run whatever rules we have in place for if, and when there is another IMPBA FE Nats. There has been some talk about it the last couple of years.
    At a District level we are going to continue to do what we're doing. It works, there are no precieved advantages, no problems, no failures, and we're having a blast enjoying the growth.

Run what ya brung fellas,
    See ya at the pond!!!
    Doug

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...b49c910bd17f54
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 02-22-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Really don't know LOL
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I don't want to see any new rule proposals presented for P-limited in IMPBA in the near future. It is too soon and there is currently nothing broke now that requires fixing. We can hold race events with out national rules in place. Why don't we take a wait and see approach before jumping in head first?

Sean, The Dick and James reference to Danny has only to do with D12 and Dannys wish to change the rule. Dick is Danny's club president and a voting member. Dick and James ran FE's before there was even a class in the district. Last winter I proposed that FE classes be included at the annual winter meeting. My rules proposal were posted here and on IW. I had no objections from anyone here. No other FE racers showed up at the meeting. Dick and James took the time to show up at the meeting and voiced their concerns. They also show up at all the district races and I wanted Dicks support so it was a no brainer.

Sorry your having problems in your district.

Arrow

I doubt that. There really is no way to shut some of us up. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning.
    Very funny!

-------------------

I normally stay quiet on all of this courtesy of my voiced opinions in the past with best intentions of all which has created issues. Since then, I've tried not to cause additional drama.

That being said, I think this is silly. IMHO, limit the batteries and nothing else. It's worked in Europe for years.

If the ultimate goal is to have fun, then have fun. If the goal locally is to attract more members, then this should be looked at closely. When you ask the question, does this make it more inhibiting for a new person to participate, then you have to weigh what is more important: more participation or more cost.

At risk of upsetting many folks, I'll say that this should be comradely and about enjoying the hobby together. If someone cannot afford to participate, then those that made that decision will have to look them in the eye and tell them as such. In the meantime, I personally value my time with friends who enjoy this hobby together. If that isn't the case, then why be motivated to participate.

Respectfully of all those that have many more years of experience, sweat, and tears, I think everyone has the same goal when it comes to an organized group: to enjoy each other company, learn from one another, and continue the advancement and strength of the hobby.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

I'm pretty much thinking like Darin on this...even if we are eventually allowed to use any controller, i'm still going to use my UL-1 ESC's...worked good last year....not a big deal to me! I have alot of racing and learning to do before I am one to start bickering about ESC changes to be made.

I just want it to get warmer outside!!

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Boy oh Boy, this is getting silly an ESC will not win you a race...driving skills will...yes there should be rules for motors, but prop slight modifications will make more of a difference.

Edit as of 6.00 pm

I left batteries out as that is a real problem IMO

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 02-22-2011 at 06:01 PM.

"Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

I think the nitro guys want the FE guys to have just as many DNF's as they have.

IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    I think the nitro guys want the FE guys to have just as many DNF's as they have.

Maybe but we still won't catch them on DNS.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post

That wouldnt happen if half our boats were launched upside down.

I used to think that more batteries was helping me but I've found that weight is a bigger issue on my spec stuff. Not sure that's true for everyone though. As a result I've gone lighter with less mah on board. Except offshore. 8 boat heats make that like ocean racing. I don't need the fuel but the balast is sweet. I run 3300's in my rigger. Mostly because that's all that fits. It's tiny.

Well, Ive asked several times as to which controllers are proposed...and from the lack of replies, its fairly apparent that no-one knows so therfore any can be used.....

I'll ask one more time.....

WHICH CONTROLLERS ARE BEING PROPOSED

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast