Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a Canopy...Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Guys... I was just told (by e-mail, about 2-minutes ago), that the MG canopies are in stock NOW!! That came from the ProBoat Product Development manager, so I am assuming he's correct.
    CRAP!! I just got another note, saying that they just checked stock and now there are only two left!

I was told that more are being expedited, but I have no idea what that means in terms of time...

Sorry guys... this side of the house isn't really anything I have much influence on... Just relaying the info.

Not sure how these large hobby companies work, but it seems like a constant battle between the product developers (ProBoat), and the marketing department (Horizon)... Apparently, the purchasing and marketing departments don't always anticipate the damand of some of this stuff. Hopefully they get this one sorted out soon, and learn not to do this on the next one(s)... It's a shame on an otherwise good product...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Plus dont forget, you say youll pay $50. for a cheap a$$ piece of 4 dollar plastic.
    For the sake of accuracy... the MG canopies are only $17.99... WHEN they are in stock...

Having played with epoxy and glass... you are right though... people do NOT understand what it takes to get a quality piece of fiberglass these days.

One day, in the future, there will be piles and piles of totalled, thrashed, falling-apart RTR piles of glass fibers laying around, with fully intact canopies sitting on top of the pile! :D

For the sake of accuracy... the MG canopies are only $17.99... WHEN they are in stock...

Having played with epoxy and glass... you are right though... people do NOT understand what it takes to get a quality piece of fiberglass these days.

One day, in the future, there will be piles and piles of totalled, thrashed, falling-apart RTR piles of glass fibers laying around, with fully intact canopies sitting on top of the pile! :D
    I was refering to this comment

Quote Originally Posted by pyroM!KE View Post
    Yeah...The MC comes with a FG cowl...It is a 20$ more rtr boat,but like I said I would at this point pay 50 bucks for a lid for the MG right now than to wait another month!!...Ohh well..I just ordered a JAE 21fe rigger and the MG may well see the swap shop any way.....
    When something is soo good, why is there always something that always holds things back..
    Crap, If I would have known this I would have ordered a couple lids when I got the boat..Ohh wait a minute..They havent had any in stock for months now...Im not bitching,Im just saying...
    Or am I bitching...Yeah,I am BITCHING!!!

You know... if you guys would learn to keep the boats upright, this wouldn't be an issue!

Hahahahaha....

I know, guys... it's a PITA... Wish there was something more I could do, but all I do is provide design/development/testing support... don't have any pull with purchasing.

You know... if you guys would learn to keep the boats upright, this wouldn't be an issue!

Hahahahaha....

I know, guys... it's a PITA... Wish there was something more I could do, but all I do is provide design/development/testing support... don't have any pull with purchasing.
    Ouch... thats funny though

The two fellows that have made molds, from my understanding know how to make Fiberglass objects properly. The larger issue is the "freakin" color.
    They both spent tons of money trying to make that color and couldn't do it.

These guys (Rich and Scott) understandably, have put their projects on a shelf. I think until the paint is made available, a quality canopy that matches is just a nice thought. I found a color that matches, but it is not the right kind of paint for these boats, it is for the clear car bodies. It does work as a touch up paint for small dings you might incounter.

I got a PM from Scott (tiqeman) inviting those interested in a good hatch to contact him.

This is a copy of that message.
    "Hey guys, Im finally back on track over here and able to focus for a bit on these hatches. If your still interested, please make not in this forum.
    Thank you all for your patience. Scott"
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=23499

So, if you need a hatch give ol' Scott a PM to check it out.

The larger point here is that our friends and Proboat have let their MG customers down on this issue. I have for a year now been asking them for paint, with no sign of interest or ability to get it. They know the canopy is not strong enough, but have shown no interest in offering an up graded hatch the matches our boats.

On both counts, they are loosing revenue generating opportunities, that are very easy to take advantage of. My MG is my favorite FE, and so far I've been lucky, so my canopy is still one piece. I have reinforced it, but who know if it will survive a decent blow over?

As a outside consultant, I would image Darin has expressed his thoughts on this issue to Proboat, yet still no word from the "brain trust" at Horizon. Frankly, this suggests a significant lack of commitment to their customers. Enough already.

Hope Scott can come through on some hatches.

Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Frankly, this suggests a significant lack of commitment to their customers. Enough already.
    REALLY?? Seriously?? Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that you are talking about supplying a controlled, hazardous chemical (even more-so, most likely, since it's directly from China... ) that consumers wouldn't be willing to pay what it costs to deal with for?? Sometimes, things aren't as trivial as people would like to make them out to be.

I'm not sure what all goes on behind the scenes at Horizon, but I have enough experience with dealing with shipping hazardous materials, or purchasing them online, to know that it's not something you could offer for the $4.99 that most would be willing to pay.

Just sayin'...

Ok I feel better now..I just ordered a Lid..I know I prob should have got a FG one but Im kinda broke right now..Lol..Theres only 1 in stock now..

bah, after tax and shipping and everything it comes to over $25, my hatch is still in one piece so I'm just going to put that towards supplies to reinforce my current one, hopefully that should last until we can find some paint for these FG hatches.

The total on mine was 22 shipped..

Ok I feel better now..I just ordered a Lid..I know I prob should have got a FG one but Im kinda broke right now..Lol..Theres only 1 in stock now..
    Just re-inforce it before you run it, otherwise you just wasted $22. The first time mine blew over I shattered the lid. I pieced what I could back together and filled the rest w/ cloth and mat then covered all of the inside. It looked like heck, but it worked and got me back onthe water. When I got my next lid, I ordered 2, and before I did one run, I re-inforced it. I sold that lid to a forum member and re-inforced my second one. Im now running that and have had some violent blow overs and no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Just re-inforce it before you run it, otherwise you just wasted $22. The first time mine blew over I shattered the lid. I pieced what I could back together and filled the rest w/ cloth and mat then covered all of the inside. It looked like heck, but it worked and got me back onthe water. When I got my next lid, I ordered 2, and before I did one run, I re-inforced it. I sold that lid to a forum member and re-inforced my second one. Im now running that and have had some violent blow overs and no problems at all.
    SO what do I need to use..Also what is a good way to help it float..Thats how I lost it..I flipped it and lost it..

SO what do I need to use..Also what is a good way to help it float..Thats how I lost it..I flipped it and lost it..
    Just for future reference, I've spec'd on any new boats we do that they should have a positive latching system, and lose the magnets. The sample I have here for an upcoming offering has a simply rotating latch that will more securely hold the canopy in place... OH, and the canopy has floatation from the factory...

Just for future reference, I've spec'd on any new boats we do that they should have a positive latching system, and lose the magnets. The sample I have here for an upcoming offering has a simply rotating latch that will more securely hold the canopy in place... OH, and the canopy has floatation from the factory...
    Umm the stock canopy?Cuz I watched mine sink..I got to see it for like 1 minute and then it disappeared..
    I agree on the latch..I think Im gonna use some kinda hatch lock screw..I hate messing with the tape..

Im not sure if Darin is refering to a bone stock MG canopy or one he has modified, but I also will stand behind the stockers not floating as I tested mine. HOWEVER, as Darin stated, ALWAYS use some kind of latch or even tape. Just because it has a tuperware lid, DOES NOT mean its going to stay together ina roll or if it subs. Relying only on magnets and or a small piece of tape on the back will always result in a lost hatch... Always.

As for Reinforcing Mike, Small can of polyester resin, (about 10 bucks) , 4oz cloth, $7 or so, 2 disposable brushes or one brush and tissue paper and sandpaper, totaling about $20.00 or so, scuff the inside of the hatch, lay in a layer of 4oz cloth, using the brush and a dabbing motion, wet out the cloth. Once wet out and nicely prepared, lay in the second using your hands (oh, you need latex gloves too) and the brush only adding resin as needed to help wet out. You probably wont have to add any more resin. Once complete, use a dry brush or wadded up tissue paper and plot out the excess resin. See that 20 bucks coulda gone towards an epoxy hatch, your only about $10. off now.... Just pokin your side

Reading Darins again, I think he means hes going to request a floating canopy on the next boat..?

I'm glad I have a spare :)

REALLY?? Seriously?? Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that you are talking about supplying a controlled, hazardous chemical (even more-so, most likely, since it's directly from China... ) that consumers wouldn't be willing to pay what it costs to deal with for?? Sometimes, things aren't as trivial as people would like to make them out to be.

I'm not sure what all goes on behind the scenes at Horizon, but I have enough experience with dealing with shipping hazardous materials, or purchasing them online, to know that it's not something you could offer for the $4.99 that most would be willing to pay.

Just sayin'...
    Darin,
    I am not sure why Proboat or any one else would ship paint from China, when in this case all they'd need to do is get the color formula and get the paint made domestically. It would require someone with the authority make the decision to do it, and have the appropiate employees make it happen.

I am confident that if Rich or Scott had the paint formula, they'd be making matching fiberglass canopies.

Don't get me wrong, I like dealing with Horizon, but there is room for improvement.

Just sayin'

Boomer

Default I need a canopy ..... where ?

HI, just got my MG canopy from Horizon today, Wed. morn, ordered Fri. 4-1-11, they must of had a few in stock.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fox41 View Post
    HI, just got my MG canopy from Horizon today, Wed. morn, ordered Fri. 4-1-11, they must of had a few in stock.
    Steve
    so if i had the lhs order me one a month ago the order should have been filled? Hope this is true.

Default I need a canopy....where

The website Fri. showed they had them in stock, I put a charge on my card, shipped right away, It showed them in stock for a little while then went to out of stock again.
    Steve

The website Fri. showed they had them in stock, I put a charge on my card, shipped right away, It showed them in stock for a little while then went to out of stock again.
    Steve
    I figured this would happen (out of stock very quickly) so I back-ordered one back on 3/16. Haven't heard a thing from Horizon, so I'm a little worried. Guess I'll give them a call.

I wonder why they don't give preference to back orders over non back-orders?

I wonder why they don't give preference to back orders over non back-orders?
    Who knows, it's probably due to some "processes." I did call them, and they said it was sent out yesterday, although I still haven't received any notification or tracking from them.

I ordered mine yesterday at about 11:00am..Still no shipping Info..Though they showed 2 in stock when I ordered mine..

When I received the email from Horizon it showed a UPS tracking number, it actually came USPS. Good luck.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    The two fellows that have made molds, from my understanding know how to make Fiberglass objects properly. The larger issue is the "freakin" color.
    They both spent tons of money trying to make that color and couldn't do it.

These guys (Rich and Scott) understandably, have put their projects on a shelf. I think until the paint is made available, a quality canopy that matches is just a nice thought. I found a color that matches, but it is not the right kind of paint for these boats, it is for the clear car bodies. It does work as a touch up paint for small dings you might incounter.

I got a PM from Scott (tiqeman) inviting those interested in a good hatch to contact him.

This is a copy of that message.
    "Hey guys, Im finally back on track over here and able to focus for a bit on these hatches. If your still interested, please make not in this forum.
    Thank you all for your patience. Scott"
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=23499

So, if you need a hatch give ol' Scott a PM to check it out.

Boomer
    what forum is this, i can't seem to find it again and this link stopped working for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123