Thread: should I or no?

Default should I or no?

I found a newer truck, that i think I wanna get, its an 93 dodge w350 with a Cummins , the engine has Bully dog injectors,fuel pin,14cn turbo with waste gate, water/meth injection,5" stacks,6" lift,35' tires, rebuilt tranny. The guy said he'd consider an even trade for my Chevy, should I or no
    the cummins

my truck

yup i would
    :D I do What I like !! "AINOSHETU"
    Island Boys Fast Electric

I think I'm going to as long as he gives me a definite yes or no. The only thing I don't like is the truck has 180k on it(no big deal) but the motor has like 200 k on it, not too worried about it, he said it still runs like a champ, no leaks or other problems. Even if it needs a rebuild, my uncle has a rebuild kit for a 5.9 Cummins I could probably get from him for $200. It should be a sick truck, twice the power of my current truck and twice the millage. fingers crossed

unless pics are backwards... top pick being your current truck and bottom being new one I would. If the red one is what your getting ummm I would say no way. tires, bodywork, bad bouncy ride. just my opinion. wherent for trucks there wouldnt be tailgates!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mich. Maniac View Post
    unless pics are backwards... top pick being your current truck and bottom being new one I would. If the red one is what your getting ummm I would say no way. tires, bodywork, bad bouncy ride. just my opinion. wherent for trucks there wouldnt be tailgates!!!!
    The gray truck is my current one, and the red one is the Cummins I want.
    The tires are brand new, the body work is no biggie I'm sure Ill end up putting some more dents in it.Absolutely no truck on the road rides as bad as my Chevy, the 93 will be like a Cadillac
    Last edited by '83 chevy; 12-28-2007 at 09:28 PM.

What is your current truck got under the hood?
    If it's gas or the older Chevy diesel...
    I would go for it. The Cummins is a great motor, it should be good for 500K+, so long as the maintenance was, and is, kept up. They are a smaller version of the semi motors. I have seen the older Dodges with 600K+ on them. I drive a 99 Power Stroke my self, but I like the Cummins, I just don't care for any of the newer(98+) Dodges.

Check out a forum for them, try here http://www.cumminsforum.com/. I use there Power Stroke forum.

The upgrades sound good. I like the stacks.:D

But, on the other hand,
    If an offer is too good be true then odds are it is.(83->93 diesel, even trade???) Do your research, check the truck over good, and make sure the title is good before you jump into it.

Just my $0.02. I have had a few diesels, and would never go back to a gas truck.

Good luck. Keep me posted.
    John
    Home of the fastest N2 El Lobo in the world.
    3.931 sec, 57.23 MPH @ Blue Lake, Valdosta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Rc1racing View Post
    What is your current truck got under the hood?
    If it's gas or the older Chevy diesel...
    My truck has a brand new 4 bolt main 350, and the millage is killing me. Gonna call him today, to arrange a time to go see it in person.

Your truck looks to be really clean. the dodge looks kinda dirty. Check the dodge for rust. In my opinion i would wait to find a nicer one since your truck is so nice.

Do it!! the 12 valve cummins is bullet proof and you will get at least 20mpg, check for excessive blow by, I can run the vin for you if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozie870 View Post
    Do it!! the 12 valve cummins is bullet proof and you will get at least 20mpg, check for excessive blow by, I can run the vin for you if you want.
    Oh yeah I forgot that one, Blow by is caused by scarred cylinder walls, which leak compression into the crankcase. This is a big thing on diesels for some reason.
    Check blow by by removing the oil cap, while its running, and check the smoke coming out. A little is ok, but it should be constant and not huffing or pulsing. I never really seen it until I got a 98 F250 diesel(it was my first diesel) that did it. It was a nice truck other wise, you almost wouldn't even notice it, except when it first started it would smoke out the front yard, as it warmed up it would let up but not quite all the way, and idle ruff. It had no power until it warmed up too. The local diesel shop wanted more than I paid for the truck to fix it, so I shipped back to the auction. But I have a car lot, it was just another truck to me. But it was one that I was wanting to keep for myself. It was sitting on a 10" lift with 38.5s. The body was strait and it was a clean truck other wise.

Also check how it starts and idles in cold conditions with the motor cold. USUALLY if something is wrong with them it will show its self in the colder temps. And make sure you drive it while it's cool, some things it will have to be under load to notice. Check for excess smoke out the tail pipe, ruff idle, and lack of power when cold. Now it will have a little less power until it warms up but it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Also check the air filter if it's a KandN, or a high flow aftermarket one, trash it for the stock one. The KandNs don't filter enough for the diesels. Dirt WILL take out the turbo. Then the shrapnel will get sucked in and go though the motor doing more damage. This lesson goes back to the 98 that I had. It had half the fins on the turbo sand blasted away from dirt ingestion. I'm sure this is what caused the blow by to begin with. Make sure you use a good air filter, don't cheap out, or use a high flow filter.
    Last edited by Rc1racing; 12-30-2007 at 08:05 PM.
    Home of the fastest N2 El Lobo in the world.
    3.931 sec, 57.23 MPH @ Blue Lake, Valdosta, GA