Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: leopard vs tacon motors

Correct me if Im wrong here, but the magnents are in the rotor?

I was going to have them checked right thru the can on the motor. But maybe I should take each rotor in.

My only fear is the gauss will be so high the meters I know of wont be able to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Basstronics View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong here, but the magnents are in the rotor?

I was going to have them checked right thru the can on the motor. But maybe I should take each rotor in.

My only fear is the gauss will be so high the meters I know of wont be able to read.
    Yes. The rotors have the 4 magnets laid around the rotor shaft in between the aluminum end plates and seated with adheisive. Then are carbon fiber wrapped and set/sealed with epoxy to keep them in place. Then they get balanced.

The iron of motor is exterior of the rotor, where the copper wire runs thru. I would recommend if you want to get a good reading your going to have to remove the rotors to see an accurate measurements.

The field extending from these magnets doesn't reach far with any strength, because the smaller a magnet of a given intrinsic strength is, the smaller will be the volume of space it can fill with a magnetic field of a given strength. Magnetic field strength drops off as the inverse cube of the distance from the magnet, too; get twice as far away and the field strength drops by a factor of about eight. So 2 of these guys barely notice each other over a distance of more than an inch or so. Yet put them too close to each other and look out! Thats why the air gap on these guys is so close. But since I have no experience with measuring magnetic influence, maybe someone will chime in and it will be fine leaving them assembled.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by Basstronics View Post
    Ok I just got my two Tacon Leopard clones...

I might be crazy but it does feel as if the magnets are not as strong and the Leopard. I am going to have the magnets gauss'ed to confirm or deny that theory. I hope to get that information by the weekend.

Whoever said the bearings are probably different deserves a prize.

The Leopard motor I have utilizes an NSK bearing, which is a good brand (for those that dont know). Leopard Bearing reads "Indonesia NSK 625Z"- which is NSK part number 625 ZZ (Z being shielded). Using a light weight oil the bearing is rated at a maximum of 43K RPM.
    my 4082 Toppower motor's bearing also have the same as leopard
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123