Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: leopard vs tacon motors

Default leopard vs tacon motors

are tacon and leopard motors made by the same people same quality?
    saw them on hobbypartz.com.
    thanks.

you might have to be the test dummy for us !
    I just thought id fork out for the leopard 4074 2200 KV, the specs look the same though for both types

They seem to use the same data sheets with a different logo at the top.....
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

Interesting, I logged on this morning to ask the very same question. Great minds think alike.

I have done several internet and forum searches and the general opinion is that these motors might be manufactured by the same company, just badged differently. There is plenty of discussion whether or not there is any difference in quality relative to price, but I haven't found a definitive answer.

In most of the reviews I've seen, the reviewer seems to draw the conclusion that Tacon motors are pretty decent, for the price point, but none of them have been long term reviews providing the ability to determine how Tacon motors stand the test of time.

So.... Has anyone ever determined for certain if Tacon vs Leopard vs ???? are the exact same motors badged differently? Anyone ever had the opportunity to dissect a couple to compare the internals??

Or... Has anyone had the opportunity to run a Tacon and Leopard side by side long enough to form an comparative opinion on quality and reliability??

Thanks
    Kevin

Here's a vid of a Tacon motor test against a Velineon motor and an EZ run........the Velineon is a larger motor and the Tacon hangs right with it. He posts all the logging data near the end........

NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by the savy fluxer View Post
    are tacon and leopard motors made by the same people same quality?
    saw them on hobbypartz.com.
    thanks.
    Sure look the same from the outside. But its the price difference that has me wondering. Also when I recently ordered a 4074 Leopard I was sent the Tacon in its place. I asked the company why the substitution and they said the motors are identical. And they did offer me a full refund if I didnt like their sub motor.

John
    Change is the one Constant

Quote Originally Posted by m4a1usr View Post
    Sure look the same from the outside. But its the price difference that has me wondering. Also when I recently ordered a 4074 Leopard I was sent the Tacon in its place. I asked the company why the substitution and they said the motors are identical. And they did offer me a full refund if I didnt like their sub motor.

John
    Same thing happened to me they sent a Tacon instead of a Leopard , I returned the Tacon and they are sending a Leopard ( hopefully not received yet!)

A buddy of mine just bought a Tacon 3674 1700kv motor for $54 shipped. It looked good but without opening it who knows. For the price though it seems like a good deal. I'm going to order that same 1700kv motor here shortly to run in my MG. We'll see how it hols up.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Here's a vid of a Tacon motor test against a Velineon motor and an EZ run........the Velineon is a larger motor and the Tacon hangs right with it. He posts all the logging data near the end........

That motor in the video is their 2 pole motor for cars. The Tacon's you see "On Sale" are 2 pole motors like the one in the video.

If it doesn't say 4 pole in description it is a 2 pole motor.

The ones you see $46 for a 2860 or $54 for a 3674 may just be introduction prices.

I have a leopard 2845 and it looks identical to my pair of Tacon 2860 motors. The feel is the same, 4 poles and the specs are the same.

Looks like Tacon is Similar to Fine Design or Top Power in that they maybe had their own winds made up with their own label because of their success with their 2 pole motors???

Who knows???

When it thaws out here, then I'll know.
    Nortavlag Bulc

this is the motor i mean i belive it is a 4 pole is it the same as the leopard 4074 2000 kv?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m801-4074-2000kv.html
    Last edited by the savy fluxer; 02-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.

How do you tell if it is a 4 pole when it says nothing about it in the product description.I think it is because of the high watt rating and I can back trace the Leopard to the mfg website.The Tacons are untraceable so far.I would like the 2860-2730kv but I can't even find it in the US.Only China and AU.

If they are labeled the same that is a 4 pole motor, LBP are the leopard 4 poles and that one is a LBP motor, exact same specs between the two. Might have to buy one to take it apart for a comparison.
    My biggest problem is everytime I have some spare boat money the 40mm water jackets are out of stock here then I find something else neat to buy! I'm glad business is doing well but I want one! Grin. From a North American retailer!
    If my boats upside down then who owns the one I thought I was driving the last two laps?

I have the water jackets for my size.I am just wary because the price difference is so big.I am running the Fieago 380 8XL twins and pushing the envelope with these 2 pole 2900kv motors on 3s.They are fast and I have not had a problem but my data logger shows high amp spikes when I first punch it.I was looking to lower the KV to 2730 or 2550 and have 4 pole motors to lower the amp draw.My ESCs are 120amp and I run a stand alone BEC for the electrics so I think I am ok there.What do you think about switching to those.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post

Interesting that he says this Tacon motor has more usable power vs Castle
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

The motor in the vid is the earlier 2 pole 3650 (as someone mentioned) that they sold before they ever had the Leopard look alikes. I think the people that ordered a Leopard and received a Tacon probably ordered it when they first started selling the (leopard looking) Tacon line. For a while they actually had Leopards listed at 2 (very) different prices, and they later changed the picture for the cheaper version to the orange Tacon. If you ordered one before they got the ad right, I would say that's why you received a Tacon instead of a Leopard.

They could be the same exact motor, but they also could be the same design with cheaper parts. Some people claimed the Leopards used lower grade parts compared to castles...maybe the tacon is another step down version of the same motor

i was one of those that ordered leapards... and recieved tacons.... and so far its been bushing my geico in the 60's conistently at low temps and no issues so far!

Quote Originally Posted by LaMoparPower View Post
    i was one of those that ordered leapards... and recieved tacons.... and so far its been bushing my geico in the 60's conistently at low temps and no issues so far!
    Love to see a picture of your setup!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I ordered a set of Tacons with the discount code HPZ10.I had to try them at this price.The tech said they are 4 pole and the specs are the same as Leopard but the shipping manifest shows them shipping from another warehouse.We will see how they perform compared to the Fieago 2 pole motors I am replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMoparPower View Post
    As brushless said, pictures of that would be appreciated. What kv motor on how many cells?

did anyone mention about the Toppower motor?seem similar to leopard and Tacon
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

thats what im talking about topower???

a cheap knock off or a better deal?

I might gonna bought them for my twin drive setup
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

I've noticed the only real difference is quality control.

My Leopards are all nicely machined. The top power is not as perfect, as if they were seconds but, not in a way that would hamper performance, just asthetics and the alignment of holes for front plate. The top power had imperfections as if they slightly missed the mark on drilling holes.
    Nortavlag Bulc

thanks for your help ray, they all come from the same place more or less but everbody said the same about the reasonablly priced cc motors until they proved themselves now leopard is the new affordable powerhouse, evolution??

there so good we are talking about copies of copies of clones that now have clones??

I have a Castle 1717, beautiful motor. Might buy one more. They make great motors.
    Nortavlag Bulc

but nobody wanted to when they were a affordable alternative now they are a second standard right?

i own 3 1515s and the best i had before that wa a aq motor and a pb motor ohh was i lost?

2 best motors ive owned is a aveox 4 pole 70mm and a cc1515 power= more tham you need and quality , if i have to tell you get back to me in a year(4 motors later) nuff said

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast