Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16.5 " JAE rigger

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Doug,

You may want to try an x632. It seems to do well in many of the micro models we've run. Otherwise a Y535 cut down to 32mm may be the ticket. Otherwise, I have a Propshop 3214 you could try if you feel inclined. I also have a Tenshock 32x36 steel prop that might be fun to try. The profile features back-cut to unload. Just let me know, I don't mind loaning to you for testing.

If you get it hooked up with those sizes, I have a Tenshock CNC aluminum P/N TSJ-K4834, 34mm, total pitch right at 48mm. That should break into the low 60mph range if it will handle it.

On our Renegades, we run a V935/3 cut down to 32mm. However, with that high of RPM, I don't think it is appropriate at all. That thing would be doing upwards of 75+mph if it hooked up with that prop. Who knows how hot it would get!
    Thanks Ben.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    A Turnigy Push 60 amp esc should do the trick. Not cheap but you get a great esc for the money and I doubt you will need to cool it. It is designed for an airplane but, the Plush esc's calibrate fine with pistol grip.

Thats the esc I would run if and when I make one of these. I've got that little inrunner already kicking around.
    I've run the old Seaking 60A without water cooling on many occasions. That one in particular seems to run fairly cool as long as you're full throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    Thanks Ben.
    No problem Doug, just let me know.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

this looks good. i truly believe you guys are wasting your time with that motor. you need to be using the df400 from the renegade rigger and castle mamba 25a esc. here is a video of my "jae micro" and i think it will walk away from the ones i have seen in this forum (got it from rundog who got it from gman on rcu). and this is on a x427
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2REhnHgSUYo
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe the point was for an inexpensive build. If we're talking motor options, my Renegade runs on this: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...22/HK-2208-24/

I've yet to run full throttle because she flies. It's more than plenty on a 3s1p 1300mah 25/40C. Otherwise, Scorpion has a 4400kv version: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...k22/HK-2221-6/ which would be too much power IMHO. However on 2s1p, you could run a V935/3 if you watched the amps. You would certainly need a 60A ESC and a higher C rating battery such as 30C at 2200mah.

I for one am just glad there's regained interest in these small riggers. They are too much fun at no slouch speeds.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

.NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

[QUOTE=Meniscus;292985]I believe the point was for an inexpensive build. QUOTE]
    That is correct. The point of the exercise is to see how cheaply we can get the average Joe in the pond with a decent reliable setup.
    Chuck that boat is screaming but again, Joe will need a bag to put the pieces in after his first run with that setup.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

This is going to be a fun summer...

Thanks for the neat thread guys!!
    Nortavlag Bulc

This just came out from HK, you think they will make bigger ones soon? Water cooled outrunner:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11875
    Nortavlag Bulc

Personally, I think that those wires look awful lightweight. If the max is 30A, then you may fry it. It is a step in the right direction. LittleScreamers was supposed to come out with smaller sizes, but I never saw them.

I have a 3800KV Tenshok motor and the ELE 40A esc would this work in this?? to small, to big, just right???
    Thanks For the Help
    Rick

Just right as long as you don't over prop. X632 right at border line, much more you should be careful. The Tenshock motors, believe it or not, are capable of more watts than you think. You'll cook the ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Just right as long as you don't over prop. X632 right at border line, much more you should be careful. The Tenshock motors, believe it or not, are capable of more watts than you think. You'll cook the ESC.
    The ESC came with the motor from mini cat it said 40A Waterproof-Water cooled 6 - 18 nimh or 2-5 lithium. so this will not work what would I need a 60 amp for a little boat like that? this is the part of FE I have no clue about
    Rick

I just happen to know these motors and would recommend that if you're running 3s, that is fairly high RPM with a 3800kv motor. I was merely trying to provide a top limit for this combination without really being careful. Careful would be not running with hopping in the turns, no half throttle running only full throttle, and watching climbouts.

If you ran a 60A ESC, it would run cooler and less concern for components. With a X632 hooked up, neutral strut, she would be flying at upper 50s. Send me a PM if this doesn't make sense.

I'll shoot in a pennies worth here. I have a 3800kv OR motor in my baby rigger that with those sort of revs is limited to 4x props. 427,430 and a 432 for some real heat and less speed.
    I run a similar can in my baby cat and that loves the 427 as much as a 430 if not more.
    MY take on small hulls is to go for high rpm with a small prop......actually Ben will agree that I do that for some of my bigger hulls too.

I am know to spin 4400 kv motors on 3S

fwiw I would not spin a 632 on anything less than a 36mm dia Inrunner or a well known 28mm dia out-runner.
    I prefer to over power and under prop for a kick off and then dig into to the prop box if I want my hulls to smell bad ( most of them do )

These are my opinions based on water time with my hulls.
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

You're right, I am a fan of more RPM and less prop.

Regarding the x632, I do run on many in-runner motors less than 36mm. In fact, I've run that prop on as small as 20mm x 40mm in the case of some of the Tenshock motors, but I wouldn't recommend that to everyone as the Amps could be too much for most motors of that size. On outrunners, I've run a x632 on as small as 400 size. Sometimes though, these outrunners are not designed for the higher amperage. Easy way to tell is to look at the wires. If they're small, then you can bet they'll give way.

I don't see any issue for example, running x632 on a 28mm long can or even short can for that matter. Essentially, it pulls about the same amps as a detongued Y535 that is commonly used for hydros and riggers of this size. That's not saying though that if your setup is running very wet or the prop is cavitating, then you could have a problem.

Hi Guys I have been looking at this thread and I wanted to make some comments, it seems your looking for a cheap reliable rigger set up and I think I found it. The boat in the video Chuck E Cheese posted above was built by me, Thanks for posting that Chuck, I never did shoot any video of it before I sold it to rumdog. It looks like its still running great. My intention when building that boat was to go real fast for cheap. I got plans for the jap rigger way back when they were first posted and I had to try the flat sided sponsons. They seemed weird to me, how could that work ya know, so I made that lil guy to try some. The results were good as you can see from the video. I had never built a rigger that turned so well or went so fast for so little money. Unless you or rumdog changed anything that boat is powered by a mystery brand 2830-3850kv outrunner motor and a mystery brand 30 amp spd con, Both air cooled. And very fast, Like Chuck said thats a 427 prop on it now, it will go faster with a 430 And I had good luck with a cut down and very thin 432. I did mill some small cooling fins into the motor mount but thats it for cooling. That set up can be had for under 25 shipped, motor and control. I ran 40c 3s 1050 rhino lipos that can be had for 15 bucks each or less on sale. I made very simple hardware from sheet stainless for the rudder and strut. The rudder turned out to be too weak during high speed tumbles across the water. But the motor and controller worked great, air cooled! I even ran the one in my cat on 4s with no problems and they work great with a car radio, no pistix. I wanted to make a build thread so folks could go fast cheap and I posted here or on rrr I cant remember, but no one was into minis at the time I guess, I got almost no replys? Maybe nows the time to try again. I do miss the lil guy. I wanted one with more room in the tub but I have not built it yet. Heres a pic. Please ask questions if you have any and I will help if I can. Mike M

Fwiw my mini is based on this bright coloured rigger !!
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

I now only run mini, micro boats.Re motor, props,cells etc Im running a 15" mono deep v on a 2836 outrunner motor which im now up to 3800kv on 3s 40c-90c lipo. Started at 3000kv & worked up to 3450kv then 3600 & now on 3800kv all on 3s. All runs done on an Octura metal X435 sharpened & balanced prop, Its kinda quick for a mono. Re esc i normally use Etti 45 amp but their quite expensive for what they are but still a very good esc as im sure those that use Etti will confirm. So thought i would try one of the many cheapo esc around as it was only £13 or $20 & cant believe how good this esc is working considering how hard im pushing this esc, Its a 60 amp by the way. Motor also is only £12 or $19, This thing is doing around mid to high 40s in a straight line. So this is the set up i will be trying in the Mini Sprint when i get one & also making another from the JAE plans when they become available. Ive been experimenting with this set up for around 6 months now running every week sometimes going out 3-4 times a week. So i havnt literally just used this set up now & again. Cant wait to try this new boat when its available. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I now only run mini, micro boats.Re motor, props,cells etc Im running a 15" mono deep v on a 2836 outrunner motor which im now up to 3800kv on 3s 40c-90c lipo. Started at 3000kv & worked up to 3450kv then 3600 & now on 3800kv all on 3s. All runs done on an Octura metal X435 sharpened & balanced prop, Its kinda quick for a mono. Re esc i normally use Etti 45 amp but their quite expensive for what they are but still a very good esc as im sure those that use Etti will confirm. So thought i would try one of the many cheapo esc around as it was only £13 or $20 & cant believe how good this esc is working considering how hard im pushing this esc, Its a 60 amp by the way. Motor also is only £12 or $19, This thing is doing around mid to high 40s in a straight line. So this is the set up i will be trying in the Mini Sprint when i get one & also making another from the JAE plans when they become available. Ive been experimenting with this set up for around 6 months now running every week sometimes going out 3-4 times a week. So i havnt literally just used this set up now & again. Cant wait to try this new boat when its available. Thanks.
    What esc is it that your using???
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by monojeff View Post
    What esc is it that your using???
    The esc is listed as an RC Max which i think may also be the same as an SP but not 100% sure on that, Thay also go up to 200amp for around £40 or $60. Good value if someone wants to build a cheap 5-6s boat as long as you are sensible. Only time will tell on this esc but at $20 a go for a 60 amp its less than a 1/3rd of the price i pay for the 45amp ones i normally use. Thanks.

AWSOME JIM
    Just awsome! I want one now.

I bought that rigger from 4x4fabguy. It handled EXCELLENT! Now i miss it!

A new video of my "JAE mini sprint" I put in a new motor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDk8cmcEocs

Looking good, Should be even faster on glass water. Can you give details on motor used, Also what type of bearings / bushings do you use in the strut assembly ie floating brass bush, ball races, lead teflon or another type. Thanks Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

That little mother$%#%^ is RIPPING! Whats in it??!?

Quote Originally Posted by BILL OXIDEAN View Post
    That little mother$%#%^ is RIPPING! Whats in it??!?
    Yeah, Yeah inquiring minds want to know!! I've got a pre-built one coming but don't have a motor yet (but now I know) so PLEASE tell us your set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post

Holly crap!
    looks like perfect water for those nutso speeds
    but please tell us what motor and cell count are you using...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Patiently waiting for the motor/prop/batt combo used....... I have one pre-built and two that I am building...yes I am building a fleet of these for the family to race....

I think this little boat is my ticket for learning riggers. ....Subscribed

40 amp mystery ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9482
    3S 2650 mah battery
    4300 kV in runner motor
    1630 prop de-tongued and back cut
    1/4" x 1/8" stainless steel bearings in the strut
    I do not suggest this motor/ battery combo for everyday driving. It is extreme. If I were building a fleet for my family I would go with a 3800 kv motor. i Hope ive got all your questiions answered.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast