Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16.5 " JAE rigger

200 bucks!
    I'm sold...
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Subscribed
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Anyone with a price in mind for hull and hardware?
    looks like a very fun way to spend little money!!
    I have several 3s 2200mah packs for my 3D plane that I can use in this little rocket

someone start a new class
    yeah but Jim Bob runs on 2s! all that much cheaper than a 3s pack !

^^ Turnigy 3s 2200mah packs are like $9 for 20c and $13 for 30c, hardly expensive packs :D

I'm definitely in for a kit/hardware when they're ready!

Me too!

I'll take one too!!! Sign me up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
    Just like all other JAE designs,the plans for the mini FE boat will be free.....
    The JAE design team is trying to build the prototype.....to include .....wood and building materials for the boat,motor,esc,all running hardware,battery,battery charger and radio together for under $200.00.........
    I have all the gear together for a 40+ mph boat prototype and that $200.00 ceiling looks very doable.....
    We will have to test the boat and make sure everything works out for that $200.00 figure.....
    Any rough guess as to when it will be ready for kits to be on sale? I'm itching to have one of these for the coming summer!

Doug Smock ran the prototype last week end and we were very very pleased with the boats handling ......[they are still driving chevy pick-ups on 20" of ice on my pond..haha] I scaled down The prototypes speed performance a bit to facilitate motor,ESC and battery life and lower the cost...the boat ran very well and I was very pleased with the video.
    The ESC however I had picked out left a tiny bit to be desired.....The prototype is going to get run again today with a different ESC and we will know more this afternoon.
    The kit from Zippkits is a bit off in the distance.....just how far off and what Joe Petro is going to include in the kit I don't know.Joe Petro of Zippkits will have to answer that.
    As soon as we are totally happy with the prototype [and that is looking like it could be later today] we will start doing up the drawings for release.That usually takes 2-3 weeks.
    I will also release a bill of materials as to where I bought all the gear for the boat and what the cost was to build.
    At that time the JAE design team will be formally off the merry-go-round.....
    Note:I built the prototype from scratch in just 4 hours.That included cutting out all the parts with a 30 year old Dremel scroll saw,using a $59.00 drill press and a handfull of sanding blocks and Harbor Freight clamps....what I am trying to say is the boat is very simple and would be a good place to start your scratch building career....
    I will take photos and a video of the boat and will release it on Offshore Electrics ,Intl Waters and the Ne-stuff website as soon as we totally like what we see .....

This is the video of the first run.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nrkzxDss8
    Last edited by geraghty; 03-07-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Good to know! Still a good month or two before I'll get any running in up here (Toronto) with the way the weather has been lately.

What motor/esc/battery was used in that video?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11177 $12.04

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8935 $9.99

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12191 $17.81

The ESC just wasn't quite up to the job.....we think there was one bad MosFet causing the problem....there were no heating issues even with no water cooling....I really wanted to not have to water cool if possible....the install and set up would make it much easier for the newbie.....
    We were not getting full power to the motor and we still haven't found a real good prop yet.............
    like I said,we will know more today.....

Very cool! I was hoping it would be an outrunner in that size and 2200mah packs. I've got a couple of the outrunners kicking around, but 3200kv to match my 3s 2200mah packs.

I think this will be a good first build for a younger relative too, seems pretty bulletproof so far.

I love it!
    I have 6 or so 2200mah 3s packs and with the little cost of electronics this is going to kick!!
    I might have to buy one of my friends one of these so I have someone close by to race with
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Nice, if it gets 5.5 minutes at that speed on that setup it will be very competitive in the Mini Hydro class which is spreading over Europe at the moment, and I predict it will be a full worldwide Naviga class in the next couple of years.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Nice, if it gets 5.5 minutes at that speed on that setup it will be very competitive in the Mini Hydro class which is spreading over Europe at the moment, and I predict it will be a full worldwide Naviga class in the next couple of years.

and with the very low cost, this thing could be a real winner!

I was going to the pond in Atl. today but got up to 20 mph winds. I thought I'd wait until late afternoon to see if the winds died down but it didn't happen.
    I talked the Mrs. into going to the local park to see if I could get some more testing done.
    It's hard to believe it runs in this crap!! Can't believe the Mrs. agreed to this little trip either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBL_vMZmVo

I'm going to get back out this week and do some more prop testing. I'm excited about this thing.
    Stay tuned.
    D.

PS Rod may not get this boat back!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

It's really starting to get moving now! Looks like the new ESC is giving the motors full potential now.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    I was going to the pond in Atl. today but got up to 20 mph winds. I thought I'd wait until late afternoon to see if the winds died down but it didn't happen.
    I talked the Mrs. into going to the local park to see if I could get some more testing done.
    It's hard to believe it runs in this crap!! Can't believe the Mrs. agreed to this little trip either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiBL_vMZmVo

I'm going to get back out this week and do some more prop testing. I'm excited about this thing.
    Stay tuned.
    D.

PS Rod may not get this boat back!!
    That's a neat little rigger! Didn't know they made one that small, what's under the hood? (Hatch )

Judging from how rough it was out there and how fast it still was I bet that thing'll rip when you get it on anything close to glass..

Hey this is off topic but ive been looking for you. Is your novak setup a sensored or sensorless design?

Quote Originally Posted by TotalPackage View Post
    Hey this is off topic but ive been looking for you. Is your novak setup a sensored or sensorless design?
    I'll PM ya' I wanna' be polite to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BILL OXIDEAN View Post
    That's a neat little rigger! Didn't know they made one that small, what's under the hood? (Hatch )

Judging from how rough it was out there and how fast it still was I bet that thing'll rip when you get it on anything close to glass..

see post #40

I have listed all the links to what motor and battery we used....the ESC listed
    wasn't filling the bill so we are testing some others....
    The ESC you see in the last video was a 80 amp Castle Baracuda [sp] which is no longer made....there was no water cooling in the prototype and it is running with no heat issues.

Quote Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
    see post #40

I have listed all the links to what motor and battery we used....the ESC listed
    wasn't filling the bill so we are testing some others....
    The ESC you see in the last video was a 80 amp Castle Baracuda [sp] which is no longer made....there was no water cooling in the prototype and it is running with no heat issues.

40 bux for an entire system wow! Unbelievable how much speed you're getting out of it.
    That's some bang for your buck..

Not sure about speed Bill. I plan on putting a GPS (somewhere on it lol) when I land on ''the" set up prop wise.
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Not sure about speed Bill. I plan on putting a GPS (somewhere on it lol) when I land on ''the" set up prop wise.
    Doug
    Little sucker's got potential! Maybe it'll revive a small rigger class like N-1 hydro..

Quote Originally Posted by BILL OXIDEAN View Post
    Little sucker's got potential! Maybe it'll revive a small rigger class like N-1 hydro..
    Yes sir it definately has potential. Talk about fun, imagine 6 or 7 of these little buggers on a small oval course.

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Yes sir it definately has potential. Talk about fun, imagine 6 or 7 of these little buggers on a small oval course.

D.

I'm ALL for it. It'll sound like a flight of killer bees lol!

Doug,

You may want to try an x632. It seems to do well in many of the micro models we've run. Otherwise a Y535 cut down to 32mm may be the ticket. Otherwise, I have a Propshop 3214 you could try if you feel inclined. I also have a Tenshock 32x36 steel prop that might be fun to try. The profile features back-cut to unload. Just let me know, I don't mind loaning to you for testing.

If you get it hooked up with those sizes, I have a Tenshock CNC aluminum P/N TSJ-K4834, 34mm, total pitch right at 48mm. That should break into the low 60mph range if it will handle it.

On our Renegades, we run a V935/3 cut down to 32mm. However, with that high of RPM, I don't think it is appropriate at all. That thing would be doing upwards of 75+mph if it hooked up with that prop. Who knows how hot it would get!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Doug,

You may want to try an x632. It seems to do well in many of the micro models we've run. Otherwise a Y535 cut down to 32mm may be the ticket. Otherwise, I have a Propshop 3214 you could try if you feel inclined. I also have a Tenshock 32x36 steel prop that might be fun to try. The profile features back-cut to unload. Just let me know, I don't mind loaning to you for testing.

If you get it hooked up with those sizes, I have a Tenshock CNC aluminum P/N TSJ-K4834, 34mm, total pitch right at 48mm. That should break into the low 60mph range if it will handle it.

On our Renegades, we run a V935/3 cut down to 32mm. However, with that high of RPM, I don't think it is appropriate at all. That thing would be doing upwards of 75+mph if it hooked up with that prop. Who knows how hot it would get!
    Do you have a link to propshop?

Sure, let me look. I know in the past, it took me a long time to find.

Here you go: http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/index.php?section=home

Let me know if you want a picture of one of these little guys.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

A Turnigy Push 60 amp esc should do the trick. Not cheap but you get a great esc for the money and I doubt you will need to cool it. It is designed for an airplane but, the Plush esc's calibrate fine with pistol grip.

Thats the esc I would run if and when I make one of these. I've got that little inrunner already kicking around.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast