Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 16.5 " JAE rigger

Default 16.5 " JAE rigger

Took her on the maiden voyage today. I Think I don't have the CG correct. I will try again with the battery moved forward a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPA6JTTcqK8
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice! Looks like it's balanced pretty well. Turns nice!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

What are you running in that little rocket it was hauling! Looks like you had to fish her out there at the end

Feiago 380 7s 2s 2650 x432 detongued and back cut. Yeah I did have to fish it out. I had to fish it out on every run but the one in the video below. Sorry for the camera work. My cameraman is 11. I guess I need to tweak it a little to keep it from getting upset coming out of the corners. I will mess with the CG to see if I can correct it. Any JAE experts, I am open to suggestions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VBqG3N79Tk
    Last edited by Jim Bob; 02-10-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling

I like it!!!!
    You want 60% of the weight on the sponsons and 40% on the ski.
    Can you post some pics?
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

You should send what you did back to the guys that build them so they can cut some for sale,it looks fun

some pics from my phone.

And a few more.

Where'd you get the hardware, is it all custom made?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
    Feiago 380 7s 2s 2650 x432 detongued and back cut. Yeah I did have to fish it out. I had to fish it out on every run but the one in the video below. Sorry for the camera work. My cameraman is 11. I guess I need to tweak it a little to keep it from getting upset coming out of the corners. I will mess with the CG to see if I can correct it. Any JAE experts, I am open to suggestions.
    Looks great! You need to widen the sponson foot print and use a Miss Vegas turn fin. Please call Rod Geragthy,he would like to talk with you. Great job.

Hardware is all custom made.

Send me your phone number......you are very very close....we have been there,done that....I can help you......[your CG isn't causing your problem]

Rod Geraghty

geraghty@nelson-tel.net

1-715-926-6096

Ron if you make this I want to be on the list for one with hardwhare I have 2 of your 12Rs and this one would be just to much fun at least post the plans for this size on you web page for us. But a kit would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Ron if you make this I want to be on the list for one with hardwhare I have 2 of your 12Rs and this one would be just to much fun at least post the plans for this size on you web page for us. But a kit would be nice
    As we speak the JAE team is at work developing smaller FE mini,
    micro and nano size FE hydros......
    It is in the works to release plans and kits for the boats from Zippkits......

Ron The Jae team should look at jim bobs hatch it look much better

I built that hatch to clear the different motors we want to test.....the plans will be released without a hatch......build whatever you want to build......that will be your problem to solve.....

Looks like you made good use out of a bad sponson... LOL

Later,
    Mike Ball

Much better today! After speaking with Rod,THE JAE EXPERT, I widened the sponsons by 2.5" and just for grins moved the battery forward about 1/2". Thanks for your help Rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AD-n2M1hi4

Quote Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
    I built that hatch to clear the different motors we want to test.....the plans will be released without a hatch......build whatever you want to build......that will be your problem to solve.....
    I'm willing to bet that if there is enough interest in these boats, a inexpensive Vac-U-Formed cowl / hatch will be made available.

Doug

PS The latest video is sweet Jim!!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Looks like you made good use out of a bad sponson... LOL

Later,
    Mike Ball

Much better today! After speaking with Rod,THE JAE EXPERT, I widened the sponsons by 2.5" and just for grins moved the battery forward about 1/2". Thanks for your help Rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AD-n2M1hi4
    I just looked at the video.........you are about 98% there.......add another
    1-1/2" to the sponson width .....set the turnfin about 1/4" deeper and add
    5 to 10 degrees more curl.......something I forgot....stiffen the turnfin with a doubler that ends
    halfway inbetween the fin attaching points on the sponson and the water line....the fin cannot flex for consistent performance..
    That should make the boat set-up virtually bulletproof......
    Last edited by geraghty; 02-12-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Ron let us know when Zip kits is going to sell them after seeing the vid got to get one just think 6 of them at one time going like that

Oh man, this thing is cool!
    kinda like a little slot car
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

way cool

that little thing is quick! very neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    that little thing is quick! very neat!
    Just for clarification.....lets give credit where credit is due.....
    Jim Bob initially came up with the 16" JAE all on his own without any input whatsoever from the JAE team......
    It just happened by coincidence that the JAE team and Zippkits were working on some mini JAE FE boats at the same time.....
    After seeing Jim Bobs initial video,I contacted him to offer some set-up advise.
    I saw he was experiencing some handling problems that the JAE team initially faced and subsequently resolved.......
    Jim Bob reduced the JAE plans and built the 16" mini-boat......I knew from experience that a 100% translation of the reduced nitro plans was not the ultimate design for a bullet proof handling FE mini JAE boat.....
    The plans that we are developing now will be specifically designed for FE application....areas like weight distribution,ride surfaces,turnfins and flotation.These areas will be specifically addressed and tested and will be included in the new mini JAE plans.....
    Jim Bob has done a great job.......
    I can just imagine seeing 25 of these boats,going 40+ mph,showing up at a race to run on a course with 150 foot straightaways ......talk about fun.....

Good performance....I see you took the prop off on the video but never saw you kill the power....ouch could be your next words!

Anyone with a price in mind for hull and hardware?
    looks like a very fun way to spend little money!!
    I have several 3s 2200mah packs for my 3D plane that I can use in this little rocket

someone start a new class
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Anyone with a price in mind for hull and hardware?
    looks like a very fun way to spend little money!!
    I have several 3s 2200mah packs for my 3D plane that I can use in this little rocket

someone start a new class

Just like all other JAE designs,the plans for the mini FE boat will be free.....
    The JAE design team is trying to build the prototype.....to include .....wood and building materials for the boat,motor,esc,all running hardware,battery,battery charger and radio together for under $200.00.........
    I have all the gear together for a 40+ mph boat prototype and that $200.00 ceiling looks very doable.....
    We will have to test the boat and make sure everything works out for that $200.00 figure.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast