Thread: mean machine finally getting finished

Default mean machine finally getting finished

heres my mean machine that i got as a flood hull, bought a speedmaster strut, watercooled motor mount and a UL1, but after some looking ive decided to use one of my turnigy 600 outrunners. its a 1400kv motor. any advice on prop sizes to start with will be greatly appreciated. also, since i have through hull water pickups, what is a good rudder without pickup.

heres a few shots so far.

thinking swordfish 120 or turnigy 125a esc. and 6s

Good choice. I run my mean machine with the T600 1400kv motor on 5-6s (also tested the Scorpion 4025 1470kv and performance is same).

I use the 445 on 6s and the 646/3 on 5s all with the turnigy 180. I have tested many props but these worked best for me. Max amps were 140A on 6s with the 445.

(I do not recommend these 120A escs on 6s)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

do you run a thrust bearing on that outrunner? i think im going to use the suppo 200a esc and a receiver pack i have for my rc car and run it on 5 or 6s depending on how the water is. im trying to find a good rudder with no water pickup since i have two, dual through hull pick ups.

and what is the equivalent of the 445 in a carbon prop? since i do not know how to sharpen or balance a prop and would like to get one cheap for tuning and checking the setup?

This is the Graupner 445 with 3/16 dog drive, if you are referring to the Octura X445 however you should realise that although both are 45mm diameter with 1.4 pitch ratio the blade shapes are very different and a stock B/S/P Octura of the same size will pull more amps than the Graupner so don't push things to the limit with a Graupner prop then replace it with the same size Octura.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

ok, thanks for the info native! much appreciated. I ordered the graupner just to get going. im hoping that with the 200amp esc ill have some room to play with. but i will def keep an eye on things. on average whats a good running temp for the 1400kv outrunner on 6s?

mine is about 155F max., no thrust bearing. In general I've heard that outrunners can sustain high temps, like 180F but no experience on this

yea idk i want to push it to that temp, esp seeing as its a fairly cheap motor. but its good info to have. i ordered a thrust bearing for mine seeing as the only thing that seems to hold teh shaft in place is the little clip on the front of the motor.

Motor mount modified to fit the larger screws of the 600 outrunner, and installed the pickups for cooling. Removed the autobailers, idk if this was wise or not. My package from OSE should be here in the next two days or so. Love ordering from here, things always arrive quickly.

Next question, should I run two 3s packs or is there room to run two 6s packs or 4 3s packs? To double the aH?

removed hardware to plug up holes in teh transom. got my suppo 200a esc in, going to figure out where to mount it. Where is a good CG poing on these?

DISAR, what kind of speeds do you see with that outrunner?

on 6s with a 445, 48 mph on sea water (always some chop). can try for more but handling on the chop is my issue.

You can place the esc forward of the motor, why so many water inlets?

I don't have the boat with me right now but I think I have the cg as in the photo moving slightly forward or aft depending on water conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DISAR; 01-21-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Well the reason for the four inlets was I was going to run it in an inrunner with a jacket. So I wanted one for the motor, one for the mount, one for the esc, and then one for something else. Overkill....possibly. Now I was thinking of using two for mount and two for esc, one from each side so if one sponson came out of the water, I would still have flow. Or I can pull one side out if it's not going to work. Was just me thinking of over doing it I guess

You can "Y" 2 of them into the motor mount and "Y" the other 2 into the esc.

Yea that was the plan now. One from each side of the boat. Sure it might be overkill but....oh well. They were cheap and if I upgrade to a twin in this or some other setup they are already there

looking at batteries tonight and i guess i need something bigger than a 5000mah 20c?? i have these in 2s and was hoping to be able to get a pair of 3s same mah and c rating to run 5s, but i guess i need to get these instead so i dont over draw the batteries.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=15020

30c packs should provide more than enough amps for the outrunner. I don't like the 8ga wire that comes on the 40c packs. It's super stiff and harder to solder.

so the 20c would be out of the question though? like i said only reason id like to stick with that is my 2s are 20-30c and if i could get the same in 3s then i can run it on 5s and even run my sv27 on 5s.

also what size are the bullets on the t600? i tried to look it up and can not find that info anywhere.
    Last edited by ls1fst98; 01-22-2011 at 08:39 PM.

They may work ok. !00amps is what they will produce. The outrunner will probably pull right around 100 amps. A higher c-rating would be better. But 20c packs aew cheap and if you have another hull to use them in I would give it a try. If your batteries come in hot, then you know they arent producing enough amps.

my camera is having issues, so far heres all the pics i can get of it loaded to my computer. it is pretty much done except for a final sanding ont he transom where i patched some old holes. just need to figure out a good way to seal up the stock hatch until i can make one and go make a test run.