Thread: new stiletto dead in the water

Default new stiletto dead in the water

took my new stiletto out yesterday and gave it the first run ,ran perfect for 5 minutes then dead in the water no power any where ,looks like the esc is not working ,has enyone else had this problem .currently trying to get a hold of proboat to see what i can do .
    super vee 21 brushless
    Rio EP brushless

Cool

What batteries were you using? How much charge did they take after the run? Five minutes can be a lot depending on the cells.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

5 min

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    What batteries were you using? How much charge did they take after the run? Five minutes can be a lot depending on the cells.

DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

i was using reedy 5000 ,7.4 , 30c and they were still 3/4 full after. i called pro boat and or horizon and they are sendind me a new esc .awesome service
    super vee 21 brushless
    Rio EP brushless

That is very good news!
    Problem solved!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslide View Post
    i was using reedy 5000 ,7.4 , 30c and they were still 3/4 full after. i called pro boat and or horizon and they are sendind me a new esc .awesome service
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Cool

If you ran for 5 minutes and only used 1250 mAh then the average amp draw was 15 amps. Couldn't have been going very fast! Glad you are satisfied with ProBoat, their CS is very good.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

not fast at all , combo of the pond being to small and knowing that the boat is fast so i was just feeling it out maybe 1/2 to3/4 on the trigger and yes i would have to say that it was a pleasure to deal with the rep at horizon hobby we ended up talking boats for quite some time after we solved the esc issue.now that the new part is in the mail that will give me time to get my new aquacraft superior in the water as it just arived today and looks like another fast boat .that makes 10 boats in the fleet, should be a good summer.
    super vee 21 brushless
    Rio EP brushless

Quote Originally Posted by dirtslide View Post
    not fast at all , combo of the pond being to small and knowing that the boat is fast so i was just feeling it out maybe 1/2 to3/4 on the trigger and yes i would have to say that it was a pleasure to deal with the rep at horizon hobby we ended up talking boats for quite some time after we solved the esc issue.now that the new part is in the mail that will give me time to get my new aquacraft superior in the water as it just arived today and looks like another fast boat .that makes 10 boats in the fleet, should be a good summer.
    5 minutes at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, that would be a possible reason your esc burned out. Esc's don't like less full throttle to much in FE boating and 5 minutes is a good bit of time. Running wide open as much as possible is a lot better.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    5 minutes at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, that would be a possible reason your esc burned out. Esc's don't like less full throttle to much in FE boating and 5 minutes is a good bit of time. Running wide open as much as possible is a lot better.
    This statement seems odd...Please explain a little more about why an ESC wouldn't be able to run at half throttle or more without burning up...I run R/C Cars and the ESC's dont have that problem at all.....Just wondering what would be different?

Quote Originally Posted by lonneyb View Post
    This statement seems odd...Please explain a little more about why an ESC wouldn't be able to run at half throttle or more without burning up...I run R/C Cars and the ESC's dont have that problem at all.....Just wondering what would be different?
    Cars are completely different, boats draw A LOT more amps then cars due. The esc is like a switch either on or off, when you go half throttle or 3/4 throttle the esc fets start cycling on/off to meet the requested demand that on/off cycling creates a whole lot of excess heat, add that heat to the amp load = you can't use all the same practices from cars/planes/heli's into boating. Different factors. Stick a eagletree to this setup and I think you will be shocked to the amount of amp draw you really have!

* In boating long wide open throttle runs are best, also timing your runs will help. I normally run between 3-4 minutes timed on 4500mah or greater and 30c or greater batts. I try to never hit the lvc...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    Cars are completely different, boats draw A LOT more amps then cars due. The esc is like a switch either on or off, when you go half throttle or 3/4 throttle the esc fets start cycling on/off to meet the requested demand that on/off cycling creates a whole lot of excess heat, add that heat to the amp load = you can't use all the same practices from cars/planes/heli's into boating. Different factors. Stick a eagletree to this setup and I think you will be shocked to the amount of amp draw you really have!

* In boating long wide open throttle runs are best, also timing your runs will help. I normally run between 3-4 minutes timed on 4500mah or greater and 30c or greater batts. I try to never hit the lvc...
    ok cool so i am using a 4s 6000 mAh 50c battery in her maybe 5 min timings?

Quote Originally Posted by lonneyb View Post
    ok cool so i am using a 4s 6000 mAh 50c battery in her maybe 5 min timings?
    I have similar batteries 6000mah 25c-50c batts. I still time under 5 minutes. 5min in FE boating is long time. The batts maybe able to supply the needed amps for that period of time it's just a matter if the system (esc & motor) will handle that amount of time. Best thing I could suggest would be to run for 3 minutes and bring the boat in, check the temps real fast, if all is ok run it for another min or so. I don't risk my setup for a few extra minutes, that's just me.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Thats exactly the specs on mine...Turnigy NANO-TECH 6000mah 25c-50c batts 14.8v 4S

FE meaning FAST ELECTRIC?

and OPC Tunne hull means?

Slow run will NOT create proper cooling circulation.
    When you get your new ESC make sure to hummer it more often or get the water pomp to cool your motor and ESC properly
    DJI Drone Pilot
    Canada

Another thing I did was open up the motor hood quite a bit so I can get my infra thermometer in there.... Good to keep an eye on temps especially if the hull is running wet (where the motor is angled down a bit.)

If you are going to have to run this boat in a tight area that doesn't allow you to really open it up, you may want to consider going down a bit in prop size. Go small, like an X438 or similar, which will slip more and won't have as much thrust. Will let you use more of the throttle, while still keeping speeds reasonable for the pond size. You may have to move the lower unit down some to allow this to work properly.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."