Thread: do spektrum air receivers work good on water?

Default do spektrum air receivers work good on water?

do spektrum air receivers work good on the water?
    justwondering because i have a surplus of them.
    thanks

No

Douggie

why do they not get the distance they do in the air?
    thanks

they are not designed for water/surface usage.

get the proper radio systems that are designed for surface running. Especially in the case of Spektrum.

a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I understand that they are not designed for water, i guess what i am asking is what is the difference in performance?
    Thanks

It all depends on what you want a radio to do and have built in to it is all.
    more whistles and bells, the more bucks you will spend for the most part.

I've never tried it personally, but I know of people that are using the AR series receivers with their Spektrum surface stuff. I believe the key is just to make sure that your TX and RX are compatible, re: DSM to DSM, or DSM2 to DSM2 (or the new DSMX to DSM2 or DSMX!!)

If you can give me more specifics on the parts combinations you are looking at, I can ask my contacts at Spektrum and get back to you?
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Default DX7 in boat

Quote Originally Posted by the savy fluxer View Post
    thanks
    Hey Savy,
    Are you asking if you can use a air transmiter with a recever in a boat or are you asking if you can bind a air reciver with a pistol radio? I believe you are asking the first so.... the answer is yes!

I have tried my DX7 with the receiver it came with in my HPR115 as I thought I was having radio issues with my surface radios and it worked well. I just had a hard time driving using a stick to steer with. I didn't see any difference in range but my cat is 60+mph so I don't take chances by running far away. If you are comfortable driving sticks than go for it I have lots of extra receivers too and I liked the dual antennae better than the single surface ones. (The marine version of surface was not out yet)

Another benefit is I have large receivers 7channel and they come with the satellite antennae so I can mount it in a different location for better reception. I am building a rescue boat that will use all the channels.

Like any radio gear always range test before you run!
    Regards
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I've never tried it personally, but I know of people that are using the AR series receivers with their Spektrum surface stuff. I believe the key is just to make sure that your TX and RX are compatible, re: DSM to DSM, or DSM2 to DSM2 (or the new DSMX to DSM2 or DSMX!!)

If you can give me more specifics on the parts combinations you are looking at, I can ask my contacts at Spektrum and get back to you?
    Awsome thanks man, i am using a dx6i remote and ar500 receiver

Ya i was wondering about a air rx&tx

You need to consider the legal ramifications - air and surface TX/RX have different frequencies for a reason.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    You need to consider the legal ramifications - air and surface TX/RX have different frequencies for a reason.
    you will have to excuse my ignorence on this topic, but are you saying it would be illegal to use a air transmitter for surface applications?

i thought being 2.4 and bound to your remote the interference issue would be negated...

Will an air RX even bind with a surface TX?

Quote Originally Posted by G1ST View Post
    Will an air RX even bind with a surface TX?
    i am talking about air receiver and air transmitter in a boat

I use a dx7 and a ar6110 in my rescue craft. Absolutely no problems. Never did the rx come back with error codes.
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

The 2.4 systems are not under the same leagal issue. look at the 2.4 gig surface radios and the air radios they do not have stamped on them for surface or air use only! All others 75Hz and 72Hz do.

Thanks for the correction - I thought they were as the are still sold as surface and air separately.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

That was the main reason for my switching to 2.4ghz so I can fly my boats and planes, and drive my cars with the same radio, and do so away from sanctioned fields tracks and ponds without the interferance risk of getting shot down by an unseen person in their garden .
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

put it this way if you were using one of those land /water /air hydro planes then you would be in the s... would that mean you would have to change tx and rx when you take of from water to air. i dont think soo. i have used my dx7 with ar500 in boats and they work just fine. the only issue with this receiver is its not a marine waterproof one but you can buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by the savy fluxer View Post
    thanks
    No they do not,use Futaba Fasst or Marine rx for the Spektrum.

well i have got a mixed bag of comments on this topic, so i think im going to have to try and find out for myself.
    thanks for all your comments everyone. and i will report back if i have any issues

hi there

i have a DX3R for about 2 years now, with 7 AR3100 receivers
    in 7 different FE hull
    absolutly no problem

i just buy a 2nd one for my son

herve

Here is what one of my Spektrum contacts relayed to me:

The DX6i and AR500 can be used in a boat just fine. The AR500 is a full-range rx.

DSMX is an Xtension to DSM2. They can be used interchangeably. Air DSM is different than Surface DSM and Marine.

So basically, I'd say that if it's a DSM2 or DSMX (not likely the later, just yet, but they were just announced!) transmitter, then any DSM2 compatible Rx will work. The Air Rxs will have a better range over water than the DSM2 surface RXs (SR-series... SR3100, etc.) The Air systems have a higher power.

The Marine RXs/TXs use the same protocol as the Air (and different than Surface), so they have the higher power, and better range, when compared to the Surface Rxs as well.. (Over WATER, anyhow).
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

So it sounds like you can bind a AR6110 to a DX3S and use it in a boat.
    Am I right?