Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Now lets upgrade some more stuff on the Spartan

I'm 35. But I feel like I've been here the entirety of our earths exsitance. And I'm still learning
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    I'm 35. But I feel like I've been here the entirety of our earths exsitance. And I'm still learning
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Well I changed out the rudder servo to a hitec 645mg (106-130oz tq) just to test today to make sure im not having issues with the stock traxxas servo(80oz tq). and trimmed the tabs down just a hair. hope it goes well.
    Also Im going to try a onboard camera facing forward since i got it working again. It quit working when it was on my mini revo vxl doing about 60mph and flipped.

Well I changed out the rudder servo to a hitec 645mg (106-130oz tq) just to test today to make sure im not having issues with the stock traxxas servo(80oz tq). and trimmed the tabs down just a hair. hope it goes well.
    Also Im going to try a onboard camera facing forward since i got it working again. It quit working when it was on my mini revo vxl doing about 60mph and flipped.
    Go figure

Kevin

ive got to just quit using that little camera on my rc's. i swear every time i use it just about on whatever vehicle there is an accident. This time the boat did a few flips. Camera stayed on. but it messed up the video so nothing got recorded.
    GPS said 57MPH today. I dont know if i believe it or not. I think it was a fluke. so im not boasting that one till I reproduce it.
    still got the death wobble. but its inconsistent i can make a few passes at wot and it rides right and wont wobble. seems to be when i gradually get up to speed it rides better

my temps were 60/65 on motor and esc. it was about 50 outside today
    Last edited by JPriami; 02-06-2011 at 05:48 PM.

That 57MPH might have been air time

Too bad about loosing the video, would heve been cool to see the wipe out

Kevin

Default 55Mph

Awesome, my first boat happens to be a Spartan. Are you going to push for 60Mph? I’d love to see it, lots of skeptics.

Best~

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
    Awesome, my first boat happens to be a Spartan. Are you going to push for 60Mph? I’d love to see it, lots of skeptics.

Best~
    Skeptics?
    for the RTR but not this baby!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

This may get you 60 if the hull can stand it.................m545, may be the ticket.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=oct-m545
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

I've got a m645 and a coulple other carbon props on the way. Ordered saturday.

An m545 should get you to around 60-61mph & an m645 should see 64-65mph, Should be interesting to see what the limit is on this hull though. Thanks Martin.

Have you scrubed the hull yet, If not its good to know you still have something in hand to possibly use. Thanks Martin.

I went over the ride areas with 1000 grit. That was before I read about other users using a lower grit.

I've got a m645 and a coulple other carbon props on the way. Ordered saturday.
    come on now!

Here is the clip where the GPS said 57mph Sunday. this was its first time in the water that day & on freshly charged packs.

I can only see one pass where maybe it did it.

Ive been thinking a lot about the chine walking issue. I tried to adjust the tabs but all that did is the boat seems to run with more of the hull in the water at high speed and its still chine walking.
    It looks like the boat wants to twist (right side drops down) from the torque from the motor & pushing the prop into the water. I was wondering about weight placement. What if I stagger the batteries so that one of them on the left is up further so that it might be harder for the boat to raise that side. Or maybe I should put the GPS on the left side to add a little extra to make it harder to lift that side.Or should i drop the right trim tab down more to help push that back up? not sure about that solution though.
    Its an odd problem because its inconsistent. I have been able to make some high speed passes without chine it just gets on plane and goes good. Seems that if i ease into wot it does better too. So i feel that something is exciting the chine and once it starts it dosent quit till you drop the rpms down.
    Last edited by JPriami; 02-08-2011 at 01:26 AM.

I place my gps on the left side and I think that helps my SV out

With the Spartan the weight inside the hull is distributed pretty much even i think, This dosnt help with torque roll. I know with the self righting boats theirs a lot more weight on the left side looking from the rear along with the flood chamber as well so theirs quite a lot off biased to the left. This seems to help reducing torque roll with this type of boat. Thanks Martin.

This boat suffers from chine walk, not torque roll. Most all fast monos do since the ride right on the very rear of the hull (ride pad) if set up correctly. Weighting the port side will not change this. Prop walk comes into effect when propping to big for a give hull. Then it will tend to pull the starboard side down toward the water. The teeny prop on the Spartan isn't effecting it's handling.
    The larger props JP is using may be causing prop walk however. Try adjusting just the starboard side tab a little bit negative and run the port side neutral. Or, try a prop with less pitch(lift).

With regards to the stock heat issue i have found that traxxas say there products can do something and they arent fibbing they just dont seem to be able to do it for long, take my rustler vxl for example, it says it can do 70mph with a 3s lipo and the right gearing- yes it can but for real world use around the street the heat it generates is unreal! so for day to day tyre bashing its no good and i would imagine its the same sort of thing with the spartan.

The fine print on my box say 50+MPH in the vehicle it's being hauled in when going to the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespl View Post
    With regards to the stock heat issue i have found that traxxas say there products can do something and they arent fibbing they just dont seem to be able to do it for long, take my rustler vxl for example, it says it can do 70mph with a 3s lipo and the right gearing- yes it can but for real world use around the street the heat it generates is unreal! so for day to day tyre bashing its no good and i would imagine its the same sort of thing with the spartan.
    This boat was said to do 50mph+ out of the box on 6s
    and it can't!

The fine print on my box say 50+MPH in the vehicle it's being hauled in when going to the lake.

Oh right. I thought it could do 50 on 6s but was getting stupidly hot!

Best speed i got on mine stock was 43. I think a little more might be squeezed out of it stock on a good day.
    I hope the snow goes away soon. It's cold and sucks.

Then come on over to Norway. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    This boat suffers from chine walk, not torque roll. ).
    Plastic hull....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    This boat was said to do 50mph+ out of the box on 6s
    and it can't!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Big reason I'm sold on PB and AQ
    they don't hype and lead the new guys on, and they build rock solid stuff!
    oh and better yet PB and AQ actually listens to their customers and helps them out when things go wrong

My Spartan is going right back to traxxas
    they keep deleting comments and threads on their site that talks about issues everyone is having with the spartan

I'm not into bashing products but from what I'm reading most people that have this boat are very underwhelmed by it! When venom kept putting the P1 production back I thought about getting the Titan plus the impression I got with venom
    Is that they weren't that good. I'm glad to say I went with the P1 and love it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast