Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now lets upgrade some more stuff on the Spartan

Default Now lets upgrade some more stuff on the Spartan

Well I did a kick ass job with the new dual pickup rudder and cooling system upgrades. So let do a little more!

New Turnigy 180 marine ESC, Leopard 4082 1500Kv & Cooling jacket.

Fits in there all nice and snug dont you think?

After doing the new rudder and setup I was able to keep the stock traxxas 36mm 1600Kv motor and ESC cool. Well under 90*F. So I felt I should have no problems keeping the new motor and ESC cool as well.

Cant wait to test. Too bad the weather is taking a dump for the next few days.
    Last edited by JPriami; 03-29-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Now we'll all see the first 50mph Spartan for sure!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Nice.Looks great.I run the same combo on 6s in my 33"mono.I was seeing low 50's.Good luck Justin.Hope your water isnt solid in TN.If it isnt,Im coming down so I can run my boats.

It will be interesting to see how the hull rides giving the side to side roll we have seen on this hull with the extra speed & torque that you should get with this set up esspecially if you put bigger props on. Lets hope the weather improves soon. Thanks Martin.

I'm thinkin' x447
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the hull rides giving the side to side roll we have seen on this hull with the extra speed & torque that you should get with this set up esspecially if you put bigger props on. Lets hope the weather improves soon. Thanks Martin.
    Yeah I'm worried about that myself. In my other runs I had that problem at higher speeds sometimes. But I noticed battery placement helped. Also it didn't do it all the time. Seemed a little induced after hitting wakes. Still sucks tho. I'm going to try strut angles, props, trim tabs and battery placement. If I can't get it dialed in for good handling over 50. I think I'll just put the stock stuff back in it and sell it. Then use the stuff I bought towards another cat. Those genisis cats might be fun

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Nice.Looks great.I run the same combo on 6s in my 33"mono.I was seeing low 50's.Good luck Justin.Hope your water isnt solid in TN.If it isnt,Im coming down so I can run my boats.
    Come on down Larry your welcome too. You can crash on the couch in the basement. Down there where I tinker on stuff. Bring a mini revo if you have one. I have a ramp down there too lol.

I've got some really nice lakes for running here. About 20 or so miles away.

I think the hull could benefit with either wider trim tabs are an extra set to get them closer to the strut because when the boat is at high speed up on the v theres no tab in the water. The tabs on the boat also look a bit on the short side as well. Thanks Martin.

So i hit 50.3 yesterday testing it. but I had to use an m445. i didnt have much luck with the prather 220. but my gps was acting up so I dont think the speed readings i got from the 220 were accurate.

The boat was still wanting to chine on WOT passes. I guess I will try adjusting the strut a little and maybe give the tabs a few turns down.

I wanted to ask do you guys think the stock traxxas servo of 80oz is enough for the rudder? I was wondering if the rudder could wiggle and cause the boat to act like its chine walking at wot.
    Last edited by JPriami; 03-29-2011 at 06:58 PM.

If you look at most deep v boats around they use much wider tabs that go much closer down to the strut, When thats up on the v theirs no tab in the water. Thats also not a very powerful servo for a boat that size doing 50+ mph. Are the temps much lower now than with original motor & esc

Great, so the m445 worked out! The prather is just too much prop.

Today's new speed. 55.4mph
    Last edited by JPriami; 03-29-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Do NOT put tabs closer to the keel. It will create even more lift in the transom in the straits and induce more chine walk.

The reason i said tabs further down towards the keel is i have a 15" mono deep v that runs 45mph & was getting chine walk to the point it would put the boat in. To the point i was practicaly destroying the boat each time it went in hiting the bottom of the lake. The boat did not have tabs at all, So i added a set down towards the strut & it has stabalised the boats chine walk but still has its speed. If the waters a bit rippley it will still go in now & again but not to often but on flatish water its stable where as before it would go in even on flat water where the chine walking completally upset the trim of how the hull ran. But this is on a 15" hull though. Thanks Martin.

Here is the video

There was only about one good pass. I think that's where it hit the best speed.
    Last edited by JPriami; 02-05-2011 at 09:17 PM.

You do some fine work! Lookin good amigo!
    Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    Here is the video

There was only about one good pass. I think that's where it hit the best speed.
    Keep it going man!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Now you can call traxxas or post on their forum that "i finally hit 50 with your boat................................after major cooling changes and 200 bucks worth of upgrades"..............

Hell man I think I should sell it back to them and say ok here is the v2 boat you need to make!

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    Hell man I think I should sell it back to them and say ok here is the v2 boat you need to make!
    Yea............tell 'em this v2 will actually hit the 50 they claimed for the v1 turd.

In my opinion, they really screwed the whole deal up....................months of hype, an original name that they stole...................months of peeling off all the titan stickers..................then an underpowered ABS boat that underperforms!!! Way to go Traxxas

Someone at Traxxas is gonna lose their job over this one........................

No,they will just promote them.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Yea............tell 'em this v2 will actually hit the 50 they claimed for the v1 turd.

In my opinion, they really screwed the whole deal up....................months of hype, an original name that they stole...................months of peeling off all the titan stickers..................then an underpowered ABS boat that underperforms!!! Way to go Traxxas

Someone at Traxxas is gonna lose their job over this one........................

100%
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

and just think of all the young guys who buy this because of the 50mph+ posted on all these boxes..

Young guys??

Some of us old guys bought in too

Speaking of the boxes...................i went into my crappy local LHS...................i wont mention their name but the intitials are Hobbytown USA, and saw one Spartan sitting on the shelf. Asked the guy about it, he could care less if i had dropped dead, and I said "can i see the boat out of the box?" Well it was in a plastic wrap..............He said no, we cant open it. I said "What?.every other boat in the store is opened except this one." I have opened many boat boxes there, how do you know what you're getting otherwise............... I said "ok, then i'll just pay you for it, open it here, then return it right now", he told me it had to be in the original unopened packaging..................and I told him, "and thats the way its gonna stay as long as no-one is allowed to see and feel it"...............Traxxas wants it that way i bet.

BTW, these guys at Hobbytown USA could easily get a job in a morgue................i have given them too many chances to be kind and helpful..........they are complete idiots.

Thats just down right rude on their part. I've never had problems opening a box to check it out before you buy. But it wasn't at hobbytown. I did sorta know a cool peep that worked at one. Lost touch with him tho.

What were your temps with the 4082..........stupid low i bet...............70*'s?

I forgot to check it today. Had my girl and 18mo old son with me that's why I rushed back to the car. Plus it was cold like 33 and windy. I checked it Friday after I ran and hit LVC. The motor an esc were like 50/55.

Looks like you got a solid setup there!! Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by dag-nabit View Post
    Young guys??

Some of us old guys bought in too
    Sucker!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast