Thread: Adding Adding Water Cooling to an Aircraft ESC

Default Adding Adding Water Cooling to an Aircraft ESC

Here's a simple way to add water cooling to an existing aircraft ESC.

I have a $50 Hextronic Pro 120A ESC, rated for 120Amps. To convert it for a marine use, I first removed the label and heat shrink material on the back and front plates and then bolted on the Aquacraft Cooling Jackets that are made for the SV27. I used 3mm x 1inch long HEX screws to sandwich the ESC. To use it with a pistol grip radio, I'll be using an inline Pistix adapter.

Parts Used:
    Hextronic Pro 120A ESC
    (4) 3mmx1inch long hex screws
    Aquacraft Cooling Jackets = $14.49 @OSE
    Rc Hydros Pistix Adapter = $13.50 @OSE

By the way, does anyone know where you can find a very small computer fan (1.5" to 2" diameter) to place over a OEMRC 100A ESC?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Creative idea:).Question...Is the heatsink in direct contact with the fets? I seen shrink wrap still on the esc?

you should look for 'cpu fans'.

Ebay have tons of them...also that other site that starts with a T...have esc fans 5 volts
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Might find something here.

Radio Shack

Last edited by ReddyWatts; 12-22-2007 at 07:22 PM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

I only cut out the heat shrink material on the back/front plates where it is in direct contact with the jacket, and left the other areas intact for now. I guess I could peel of the rest of it, but wanted to protect the exposed electrolytic capacitors and soldered connections.

I am trying to find a fan in the 1.5 to 2 inch range. Thanks guys for the lead on the fans too.

The 120 hex is of a layered design. With this kind of cooling you are only cooling 1 layer of fets. There are 3 more layered inside. To fix that I used alumtubeing along the other cooling plated within. I stuffed the tubing down the side along the plates under the heat shrink. I also use die electric grease to insure contact with the plates. Then heat shrinked whole unit. These are not water proof and should be water proofed priot to adding cooling. My 2 cent Dave

Ok I was just going to advise you that if you didnt remove the shrink it would be more of an insulator and trap heat. Like I stated before it's a gread idea for a quick method of cooling. FYI the botton board on that esc does not generate much heat. It's the middle boards that do..If I may..When you get the fans remove everything, remove the center plates. Then shrink wrap the fan to the end of the esc pulling the air through it. You may want to try and cut some copper plate and solder tubing to it for the middle set of fets, easy stuff:).

Ya what he said

Newegg fans

More selections
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

Keep in mind most if not all cpu fans are 3 wires...I bought a fan from radio shack i believe it's 30mmx30mm 12volt dc for 12.99
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Do a search in RC on ebay for 3racing. They have the fans you are looking for.

You're right SJFE, it's only a quick fix and to really address the multiple layers of FETs on these larger ESCs, Dave's solution is better than mine for the longterm... See why I am a dentist and not an engineer. :)
    I think air-cooling with fans offers a simple solution as well. Thanks ReddyWattts, RCprince, and SJFE for the leads on fans. I'll be sure to check these sites out. I wonder what the third lead is on the fans? Is it a switch I wonder?

3-wire fan motor pin out.

Third wire is a fan speed tach output.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

Thanx for that link Reddy...there's a store near me that sells use fans for like 5 bucks but they are three wires, now I can use them...cool