Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need boat !

Exclamation Need boat !

Hello from Canada. I am new to RC boats but not new to the RC lifestyle. I own numerious RC planes and RC land vehicles. I am in the market for a Mini or Micro electric boat. Ive always liked speed, performance and handling and signed up to this site to hopefully educate myself on whats good and whats crap. I do realize the importance of a recovery boat but was hopeing to avoid that by getting a boat that was self righting. I think i have narrowed it down to a few boats that intrest me from a couple different places and would really appreicate any advice or other recomendations. The first 2 are from MiniCatRacingUSA.com hera are some links http://www.minicatracingusa.com/eco.html the mini eco looked pretty sweet and the StarShip Outrigger http://www.minicatracingusa.com/srigger.html that thing seemed to handle real well. When i looked on MiniCatRacing it said i could save 10% if i was a member of this forum. So thats a bonus. Then i stumbled across AsTecModels and seen the Eco 6 http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=848 They also have a Eco 8 http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1116 What is the difference between the Eco 6 and the Eco 8 ? Whats the better boat the MiniCat racing or the ones from AzTec ? Sorry for the long winded post just itching to rip the water up and wanna get one on order.

Can't see any difference between the Eco 06 and 08 except one was posted more recently.

Difference between Minicat Mini ECO is

1. It is a smaller boat
    2. It is $100 less
    3. It requires a much cheaper battery
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by EhDolph View Post
    Hello from Canada. I am new to RC boats but not new to the RC lifestyle. I own numerious RC planes and RC land vehicles. I am in the market for a Mini or Micro electric boat. Ive always liked speed, performance and handling and signed up to this site to hopefully educate myself on whats good and whats crap. I do realize the importance of a recovery boat but was hopeing to avoid that by getting a boat that was self righting. I think i have narrowed it down to a few boats that intrest me from a couple different places and would really appreicate any advice or other recomendations. The first 2 are from MiniCatRacingUSA.com hera are some links http://www.minicatracingusa.com/eco.html the mini eco looked pretty sweet and the StarShip Outrigger http://www.minicatracingusa.com/srigger.html that thing seemed to handle real well. When i looked on MiniCatRacing it said i could save 10% if i was a member of this forum. So thats a bonus. Then i stumbled across AsTecModels and seen the Eco 6 http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=848 They also have a Eco 8 http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1116 What is the difference between the Eco 6 and the Eco 8 ? Whats the better boat the MiniCat racing or the ones from AzTec ? Sorry for the long winded post just itching to rip the water up and wanna get one on order.
    Welcome to OSE!

I'll start with that I love the Starship. You can't go wrong with it and it will be faster than the ECO but is not self righting. Sounds like you want an ECO or a mono that has a flood chamber so it will self right but don't let that sway you away from the Starship as it's a blast. Here are some other Mini's if you have not seen already: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=21403 but don't hold your breath.

I don't have any MHZ boats and we are in discussion if Steve will bring these on OSE as they look nice too. I can only speak for the Minicat at this point that they are nice and you will be happy with them. I'm sure others will chime in soon on that they have and like. As far as the Minicats, they are easy to setup and inexpensive and 3s-4s is all you would ever need for hold your breath speed depending on what motor you want to run, and they are easy to maintain and cheap as are the batteries for these. You are on the right track to start out with Mini's. I stared with a SV but went to Mini's, started backwards, but it happens.

You should also consider that Jim at Minicat will spend all the time you that you need to help you get the most out of the boat regardless what you get, so support is excellent. We have spoken for hours on end about everything as he is a great guy by my experience. You can't go wrong! Also if you have an issue, he will address it immediately no hassel as also with Steve here on OSE.

You may want to get a recovery boat eventually as once the speed bug gets you you will need it sooner or later! I can't rely on the fishing rod and line as too difficult especially if the boat gets a little too far out.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 01-31-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    I love the Starship. You can't go wrong with it and it will be faster than the ECO but is not self righting. Sounds like you want an ECO or a mono that has a flood chamber so it will self right. Here are some other Mini's if you have not seen already: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=21403.

I don't have any MHZ boats and we are in discussion if OSE will bring these on OSE as they look nice too. BBY has Mini's also and there is a thread on those too. I can only speak for the Minicat at this point that they are nice and you will be happy with them. I'm sure others will chime in soon on that they have and like. As far as the Minicats, they are easy to setup and inexpensive and 3s-4s is all you would ever need for speed depending on what motor you want to run. Batteries are very inexpensive also.

You should also consider that Jim at Minicat will spend all the time you that you need to help you get the most out of the boat regardless what you get, so support is excellent. We have spoken for hours on end about everything as he is a great guy by my experience. You can't go wrong! Also if you have an issue, he will address it immediately.

You may want to get a recovery boat eventually as once the speed bug gets you you will need it sooner or later! I can't rely on the fishing rod and line as too difficult especially if the boat gets a little too far out.
    Thanks for all the info. I imagine the boat bug will hit me like the rc planes and cars did. The ones ive been leaning towards are the Starship and the Mini Eco. Just trying to figure out what all i will need to order ie lube ,spare parts upgrades extra props and prop sizes. What ever one I get i would like to hop it up a bit. Im sure glad i found this site.

Thanks for all the info. I imagine the boat bug will hit me like the rc planes and cars did. The ones ive been leaning towards are the Starship and the Mini Eco. Just trying to figure out what all i will need to order ie lube ,spare parts upgrades extra props and prop sizes. What ever one I get i would like to hop it up a bit. Im sure glad i found this site.
    I love cars and planes too and went to boats. You won't regret getting the Starship I PROMISE YOU. Jim will help you as we can on what you need depending on what you want to do and how fast you want to go, but the Starship is pretty fast as is. I'm sure you have seen the video. I use oil instead of grease so that I don't have to remove the drive line, but do oil it after 2 runs, take a few minutes and is easier. A metal prop is ideal also, but tricky to balance but I'm particular and like things to be perfect. Start with extra plastic props.

But on which to get, maybe if you can get both and use the ECO as the recovery boat when you run the Starship that way you have the best of both worlds, a fast boat and a recovery boat! I have yet to have flipped the Starship by the way but you never know what lurks in the water!

Salir runs minicat racing. Get w/ him and he can answer any and all of your questions. Hes fantastic to deal w/ and a very helpful person. He'll set you up w/ what you need. Ive seen many of his Mini cat product run as hes the President of the club Im in. All his boats are pretyt impressive for the micro scene.

Hope you didnt mind me saying that Jim, but I dont mind pluggin you when I can.

-Scott

Have a Mini Rio that is a month old... Will sell for $85.00..

E-mail me... rtmickelson@yahoo.com

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    I love cars and planes too and went to boats. You won't regret getting the Starship I PROMISE YOU. Jim will help you as we can on what you need depending on what you want to do and how fast you want to go, but the Starship is pretty fast as is. I'm sure you have seen the video. I use oil instead of grease so that I don't have to remove the drive line, but do oil it after 2 runs, take a few minutes and is easier. A metal prop is ideal also, but tricky to balance but I'm particular and like things to be perfect. Start with extra plastic props.

But on which to get, maybe if you can get both and use the ECO as the recovery boat when you run the Starship that way you have the best of both worlds, a fast boat and a recovery boat! I have yet to have flipped the Starship by the way but you never know what lurks in the water!
    I would love to be able to get both boats but the "WARDEN" wouldnt be to happy about that. If she seen 2 new boats in the RC room she would probably trip out haha.. Rite now i can only get away with one new boat I hope to have my boating needs satisfied soon and figure out what all i need to order.

I would love to be able to get both boats but the "WARDEN" wouldnt be to happy about that. If she seen 2 new boats in the RC room she would probably trip out haha.. Rite now i can only get away with one new boat I hope to have my boating needs satisfied soon and figure out what all i need to order.
    They are small enough to hide one under the bed or one in the closet! One of the great advantages of being small! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Is that even possible?

If you get the Starship EhDolph you will be satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlertodd View Post
    Have a Mini Rio that is a month old... Will sell for $85.00..

E-mail me... rtmickelson@yahoo.com

Ryan
    You may want to post this in the swap shop?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I got these LIPOS for one of my street cars. Can these be used on the StarShip and the MiniEco
    Last edited by EhDolph; 01-31-2011 at 05:13 PM.

NO. it's too big!
    Oh wait, it's the picture that's too big

Please size it down.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    NO. it's too big!
    Oh wait, it's the picture that's too big

Please size it down.
    Yes i will just gotta figure out how >Sorry about that

I got your back!!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I got your back!!
    Thanks I tryed to delete the pic but it said it wouldnt delete for up to an hour .Probably be a dead link soon

I saved your image to my PC, resized it, then uploaded it to my site. Now your post is pointing to my copied/resized image.
    Sorry for the interruption.

7.4V is not enough. You can use 'em but you'll be disappointed in the speed. You will have to program the ESC for 2S. What you need is 3S 2200 packs. We have them for sale but they are not on the website. Call us when you're ready. They are the Hyperion packs. Only the best!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Ah, much better. Size isn't everything!

I saved your image to my PC, resized it, then uploaded it to my site. Now your post is pointing to my copied/resized image.
    Sorry for the interruption.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=20661

This little baby can come RTR, It is a great starter boat!!! And has a few extras!!

That's a really Good price for that Micro Hydro but you will want a retrieve boat. Not self righting.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

The most reliable boats from the point of view on self righting so you can run them on a bit of chop is Minicats Velocity mono, Youll be surprised on how this boat is not just a calm water boat & it will do around 37mph stock on 3s. Also as been mentioned Minicats Mini Eco made by Tenshock its a very good little boat also self righting & a lot of fun, Their isnt a boat around that will turn as fast & sharpe as the Mini Eco. Theirs videos of both these boats on Minicat racing site. Thanks Martin.

The ECO doesn't self right right out of the box. it takes some adjustment and sometimes modification of the openings in the hull and added weight on the left side to get it to sink faster thus self righting quicker.

The mono self rights without any mods. Just a happy coincidence of the design of the boat.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    That's a really Good price for that Micro Hydro but you will want a retrieve boat. Not self righting.
    Correct the micro hydro is not self righting but it is hard as heck to flip!! I still have not flipped and would be surprised if you did flip one.

So Ive come to the conclusion that its probably in my best intrest to get some kind of boat that i can use as a recovery boat for the future. I dont want to have to go swimming if not needed.

Get an Aquacraft tugboat for a retriever. NICE boat!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXMPJ8**&P=ML
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Who's hijacked sailr's OSE account???!!!?! A TUGBOAT?!?!?!?

minicatracing are also great at shipping to Canada - they'll help you avoid the standard pitfalls of getting stuff up here from the USA.

I've got one of their mono's and hydro's, and now I have a cat in the mail. Great products and great value.

Haaar! That AQ tug makes an excellent retrieve boat. It's really nicely made. '

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm a modeler first and business man last! I take a lot of pride in helping out my fellow modelers. My little business only pays for my hobby. I don't make a living at it! Good thing I'm retired! ;-)
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Between the Velocity Mono and the Mini Eco what one is faster? I noticed the Mini Eco has a 40amp ESC and the Veloicity has a 30 amp. Also steel prop compared to carbon filled. Its a toss up for me on what boat i should get .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast