Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spartan ESC

Default Spartan ESC

With all the "cool" features the Spartan ESC has, I'm wondering why people are changing the esc and the motor at the same time? Has anyone pushed the esc harder with an aftermarket motor yet?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I don't really see the Spartan ESC having many features, at least compared to other ESCs. You have three program modes and that's it.
    I would also be interested to see how far they can be pushed, definitely keeping mine to try with different motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    With all the "cool" features the Spartan ESC has, I'm wondering why people are changing the esc and the motor at the same time? Has anyone pushed the esc harder with an aftermarket motor yet?
    Not sure Steven?
    I think the stock esc will take some bigger and better motors with lower KVs just fine
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

2 days ago my esc caught on fire and almost burned my basement up scared the crap out of me only thing i had done was plug in my 3 s packs to it to test it on the bench I did not run it hard at all I pulled the throttle on the transmitter and then released it the motor still was running I squeezed the transmitter neat the throttle position adjustment and it would start and stop then all of a sudden I heard a loud pop and then a huge Grey cloud rose from the boat then a fire shot out of the esc I quickly disconnected the new packs and blew out the fire luckily it did not damage the hull . I removed the speed controller receiver and motor from the boat and packaged it up I sent it all back to Traxxas they had better come up with a good answer and some new parts. when I spoke with traxxas they seemed very short with me and had no answers but told me that they would test everything and replace what was bad I'm still pretty upset about the whole issue being that I still haven't been able to put the boat in the lake since all of the lakes are still frozen around here

Justin
    Last edited by sonic77; 01-31-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: added more details to the fire

Huh. I had an issue with mine that it would keep running after I let the throttle go as well. But not at the same speed it would drop down a little and keep going.
    I reset my transmitter then made sure the mode selection on the esc was set to lipo and sport mode. Its been ok ever since. It's in race mode now since I've had the boat in the water.

I have had the esc jump into LVC mode once when I knew then packs were not discharged. I unplugged everything and plugged it back up then it was ok too. Esc seems a bit hoaky to me.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Sorry to hear about the other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoVW72 View Post
    I don't really see the Spartan ESC having many features, at least compared to other ESCs. You have three program modes and that's it.
    I would also be interested to see how far they can be pushed, definitely keeping mine to try with different motors.
    The main feature I like is having the motor temp sensor wired to the esc. I dont know of other esc's with this feature.

I also like the training mode, it makes handing the control to a ten year old(even while standing next to him) a whole lot more enjoyable.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Sorry to hear about the other problems.

The main feature I like is having the motor temp sensor wired to the esc. I dont know of other esc's with this feature.

I also like the training mode, it makes handing the control to a ten year old(even while standing next to him) a whole lot more enjoyable.
    I will agree that training mode is a nice feature, but the same result could be achieved with throttle end points.

unfortunately the motor temp sensor is wired into the receiver, hence the new receiver part number 2218X.

I will agree that training mode is a nice feature, but the same result could be achieved with throttle end points
    I hope they achieved training mode in another way. Otherwise its going to be the cause of more problems. I cant imagine the heat buildup of a 6500mah pack running for 20 minutes with the fets running at 1/2 throttle.

unfortunately the motor temp sensor is wired into the receiver, hence the new receiver part number 2218X.
    Oh, I didnt know that! That stinks.
    Steven Vaccaro

I was also looking forward to this ESC. Hopefully they will get these bugs worked out.

Training mode works without issue as far as I've heard, not a big fan of the trigger setup settings though, but that's more personal preference.

Traxxas's QC has really fallen by the way side as of recent, with all their speedos, but the support is good.

Maybe we can see if Andy and Darin can look into seeing if Spektrum will make a marine RX with telemetry-mainly the temp sensor since that all the FE boater can use anyway.I know that not everyone uses Spektrum,but many do.I know the MR3000 rocks.By far the best RX Ive ever used.

I may sell mine?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Sell what?

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    Sell what?
    Spartan esc

i dont know if i will sell mine yet. going to see how the boat does. if i still dont like it. im going back to all stock stuff and selling the whole boat. Then Hello Genesis cat
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Spartan esc
    Oh.Thought you meant MR3000.

Quote Originally Posted by JPriami View Post
    i dont know if i will sell mine yet. going to see how the boat does. if i still dont like it. im going back to all stock stuff and selling the whole boat. Then Hello Genesis cat
    the whole boat!

I thought you had a Spartan coming Brushless?

I thought you had a Spartan coming Brushless?
    I do, but for some reason I'm not sure what I'm goin to do with it?
    I have 3 other boats I want to finish first

Swap Shop it or send it back.I say get the SS45 goin.

Swap Shop it or send it back.I say get the SS45 goin.

I may just sell the motor and esc out of the Spartan and use one of my CC1520 motors in it

Maybe we can see if Andy and Darin can look into seeing if Spektrum will make a marine RX with telemetry-mainly the temp sensor since that all the FE boater can use anyway.I know that not everyone uses Spektrum,but many do.I know the MR3000 rocks.By far the best RX Ive ever used.
    That would be AWESOME. A MR3000 or a MR200 with telemetry o man that would be sick. It's a pain in the trying to get a sr3300t to work in a boat. The antenna being so short makes it difficult to get antenna up out of the hull. I had to rework my MG to make my sr3300t work I also waterproofed it. Been going strong though.
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

I say we all join together and form a Class-Action Law Suit against Traxxas for known issues especially faulty Esc's in the Spartan, that catch fire and fry. My best friend is a high profile attorney and would be more than willing to do as we wish. My hand got burnt from the faulty esc which caught fire without any warning.

I'm up for it I don't have my esc traxxas does I received a message that my esc and motor would be replaced and shipped out this week I already ordered a castle motor and I'm looking at new esc s now but one thing is for sure I'm not putting traxxas stuff back in too scared
    Justin
    USAF F-16 Crew Chief E-4
    T-rex 500 class helicopter
    1/4 scale Gee bee R1 racer

Traxxas should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a boat that has such known faulty issues. I get it though, assemble and mass produce a boat as cheaply as possible with maximum profit margin regardless of the repercussions, how pathetic. Between youtube videos posts and after doing a google search you can certainly see the the known problems are wide-spread. Amazing how it said on the box for All Out performance add lipos...NOOOOTTTTT, you cant be serious.
    It should have said on the box for an amazing FireWorks display ad Lipos or better yet just add the standard batteries already included with the boat. Unreal.

well i can say i have pushed it and ever since i bought this boat i have had nothing but problems.
    i would how ever recommend not buying this boat because it is not very wallet friendly.
    here is a picture of my esc due to poor cooling

Quote Originally Posted by scootmagrutes View Post
    Traxxas should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a boat that has such known faulty issues. I get it though, assemble and mass produce a boat as cheaply as possible with maximum profit margin regardless of the repercussions, how pathetic. Between youtube videos posts and after doing a google search you can certainly see the the known problems are wide-spread. Amazing how it said on the box for All Out performance add lipos...NOOOOTTTTT, you cant be serious.
    It should have said on the box for an amazing FireWorks display ad Lipos or better yet just add the standard batteries already included with the boat. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsta67 View Post
    well i can say i have pushed it and ever since i bought this boat i have had nothing but problems.
    i would how ever recommend not buying this boat because it is not very wallet friendly.
    here is a picture of my esc due to poor cooling
    I don't get this?
    I thought traxxas put a temp sensor in the esc to shut it down when it got to hot...

yeah exactly say no more thats how well it works

I think they have well covered them selves for the cost of warranty replacments putting out a very nasty cheap boat but charging big money for it. What else could you call it when i poses a real fire risk that could potentialy cause serious burns. Its not as though lipos arnt allready potentially dangerous enough but add a possible fire ball to the equasion & it could be very serious indeed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast