Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini air boat

On back order... And it probably costs $40 to ship it here...

Looks interesting. Its what AQ should do instead of all that brushed stuff...

...and you still have to buy an esc for it. There's another $40 or more. I'd steer clear of that thing. JMHO. I bought one of their outboards and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen not to mention they advertised it as a 540 motor (typically 36mm diameter motor) and it in fact had a 380 size, 28mm in it. To top it off, the esc blew in the first one minute of use. I lost my butt selling and shipping it in the swap shop.

Lessons learned.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

I think I would go for it if I was in the market for one.

You gotta be careful what you buy. I only buy whats tried and tested.

Update.

Now that the power system has been sorted out it was onto control.

I noticed some pictures of people using the flex pushrods w/braided line. So I went that route. Works well. My boat is so short that I truly need a smaller cable... But I got it to work!

I ended up ordering the Dubro Micro Ball link (.032") for the top. After assembling it all I noticed the bottom was a little loose. So I got another set. Got it all in tonight and works wonders. Note that you must accurately locate the second set of ball links. I used a scale and my eyes and I must be damned close as it moves with no hang up... My point is if you are building similar its probably best to plan this part before mounting your rudders... Otherwise it makes it much more difficult.

My next step is to but a layer or two of glass over my piano wire hinge pins which are just epoxied onto the wood. One broke loose as i heated it up to much cutting the steel rod w/ dremel tool.

Pictures:

Got the paint done as far as its going to go. So I put it together. Then I got to run it.

6x5e prop. Using some older AM XPS remotes. I didnt have the throttle setting on "hi" cranked all the way up so I was not getting full power until my last video.

More video's to come!

Hi looks good.
    I bought a aquacraft mini alligator tours and converted it to brushless.
    Here it is on 2S lipo.
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

7x4.5e

Same throttle issue...

8x5e

8x5e throttle corrected- full tilt crash! ouch!

Hi years back i used to build airboats lots of guy's recomend tilting the prop on a slight angle...think it was slight like 5 to 7 degrees... try putting a couple thin washers under the bottom motor screws so it tilts the prop up tawards the sky just a hair so the wind gets thrown at a slight angle towards the water behind your boat ..play around will more and less washers to find the sweet spot you may be able to get some faster speeds and better thrust to push the boat farward .... you can even try the smaller prop that did not push it to well.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Hmmm. I was thinking the exact opposite. The boat tried to take flight a few times. Especially when a gust of wind caught the sides went under the boat. When I got on it with the throttle fixed up only a bit of the boat was in the water.

Im quite pleased so far. Just need to get it out and try again.

More videos to come tomorrow, weather permitting.

I think it's just the oposit... search RC airboats on the web and look at the photos of boats sidways you will notice most have the prop angled up a little.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Thats sweet! I think I just found my next build. Good job, looks like fun.

Im going to update my CAD drawing with my lessons learned and build another one.

The motor I used is still available by the e bay link. It took a good month to get it!

There are 2 companies that sell lazer cut airboat kits you put together they are not to expensive why not buy a pre cut kit that was tested and perfected already?
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Oh?

Never knew about them. Got links?

Ive built a small swamp buggy 15 years ago.

Anarchy
    http://www.claserdesigns.com/anarchy.html

and steves aero models
    http://www.claserdesigns.com/anarchy.html

don't know what one is better the anarchy one looks better to me... do a video search i know theres videos of both .
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

The anarchy one looks cool but I dont like the single rudder.

Well Im now an unemployed designer- mechanical engineer. So I like to design things

I think I may just rework my current design with lessons learned and have a few kits burned out. My boat has a bigger motor and larger prop than theirs. So its more performance oriented I hope.

Time will tell.

No runs today- going to Cedar Point instead!

I think your boat is set up way wrong did you see videos of there boats they fly!
    they are much faster than yours and they drive way better.
    search for videos see for yourself...they may show videos on there site also if not you tube them.

Quote Originally Posted by Basstronics View Post
    The anarchy one looks cool but I dont like the single rudder.

Well Im now an unemployed designer- mechanical engineer. So I like to design things

I think I may just rework my current design with lessons learned and have a few kits burned out. My boat has a bigger motor and larger prop than theirs. So its more performance oriented I hope.

Time will tell.

No runs today- going to Cedar Point instead!
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

This build has me ready to start building. Does anyone know what size edf unit I would need for a ul1 motor on 4s using a 25"-28" long wood hull? Where can I buy an edf in the states? Sorry to booger you thread, I can/will start my own.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZ28 View Post
    I think your boat is set up way wrong did you see videos of there boats they fly!
    they are much faster than yours and they drive way better.
    search for videos see for yourself...they may show videos on there site also if not you tube them.
    I have watched the video on the first link you provided. Sorry to disagree with you again, but I dont think their boat is faster.

My boat already wants to take off into the air. So the logic of pointing the prop more into the air seems a bit off to me. I dont want to pull my boat more out of the water into the air- thats the problem. I want to plant it some more in the water. So I fail to see how its so "setup way wrong".

I think my air rudders could be a touch bigger. I think I need to add some radius on the bottom and remove the strake on the bottom. These are those "lessons learned" I mentioned earlier about incorporating into version #2. As you read my last point Im currently unemployed- so I have a bit of time to try new things...

Search youtube they may not be faster but you can tell there set up is working...
    also adjusting the prop a little up or down will tune the way your boat rides.... Most airboats have the nose of the spinner tilted down a few degreese... I said the oposit in my post above I made a mistake BUT some times your boat may run better with a few degrees up on the prop it's all trial and error.

I built way faster airboats than what you have and trust me playing with the prop angle adjusting it a few times you can make your boat run much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Basstronics View Post
    I have watched the video on the first link you provided. Sorry to disagree with you again, but I dont think their boat is faster.

My boat already wants to take off into the air. So the logic of pointing the prop more into the air seems a bit off to me. I dont want to pull my boat more out of the water into the air- thats the problem. I want to plant it some more in the water. So I fail to see how its so "setup way wrong".

I think my air rudders could be a touch bigger. I think I need to add some radius on the bottom and remove the strake on the bottom. These are those "lessons learned" I mentioned earlier about incorporating into version #2. As you read my last point Im currently unemployed- so I have a bit of time to try new things...
    Last edited by SweetZ28; 07-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Oh OK I didnt think that seemed right.

My boat is setup with the hull having a slight angle and my motor mount was built flat, the resultant is a very slight angle upward.

Im going to try and get more video tonight or tomorrow.

21.4mph
    23 something amps

I went back the review the eagle tree data and upon doing so it didnt register any speed. The 21.4 might be from a previous run as I cant get any speed number off the log file I saved.

Odd!
    Last edited by Basstronics; 07-04-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Aboat.jpgHi Basstronics see attached photo notice the prop angle to the vertical bar on the roll cage.... If i can recall from my airboat building days guy's used to run 5 to 7 degrees angled down.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12