Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mar 7-9th, 2008 Az NAMBA Winter Warm-Ups

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    ...I would recommend that the one constant be an ESC with a 45 amp max rating like the stock SV. Already people are wandering away from the idea of a true spec class. And there hasn't even been a race. The whole idea I thought was to have a number of essentially identical boats to run against each other. I must have misunderstood that point.
    Bill-Not sure if you're commenting about my post earlier in this thread, or generally responding to other threads on other boards about racers opinions about using the SV 27 motor and ANY ESC.

If you are responding to my thread, I feel I was clear in stating what would be allowed to run at our race, taking into account how we bill our race. I also threw in a little personal opinion of my own about any possible future spec rule, but I think that was obvious. Motors with similar mass, KV and ESC rating. We want to be inclusive, and we feel this will still keep the competition tight.

With that said, the Az Winter Warmups will run the OPC as follows: Any OPC type hull with outboard drive system. Current NAMBA P battery spec. Aquacraft SV 27 motor and ESC is the preferred power system. Other motors/ESC's of similar KV/mass/rating may be allowed if all entered racers agree to let it run at the drivers meeting.

With that said, If anyone planning on running OPC with a different power system, please let me know so we can discuss it.

Tony-Our intent was to always allow LSO with the SV 27 motor system, I just left it out of the postings by mistake. Remember that scoring of LSO and LSH heats will be determined at the driivers meeting. If racers feel the SV powered boats should be scored differently, then that's what will happen.
    Last edited by D. Newland; 01-07-2008 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post

Tony-Our intent was to always allow LSO with the SV 27 motor system, I just left it out of the postings by mistake. Remember that scoring of LSO and LSH heats will be determined at the driivers meeting. If racers feel the SV powered boats should be scored differently, then that's what will happen.
    Cool. I can just use one Sv setup in both OPC & LSO. I'm also hoping to be able to complete a heat or two this year !!
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

I'll bring my SV27 powered OPC on 2.4 gig . its untested . After reading about Pats experience would you consider a shorter race then a mile ?
    I'm concerned about cell damage . I think all the entries may be new.

Hi Pat
    What props did you run ?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    Ran my WOF with the SV27 power package for the first time today and am somewhat pleased with the results, but it does need some fine tuning...

From my observations running the OB SV27 setup today, I tend to believe that the Aquacraft ESC is underrated at 45 amps, most likely just a nice round number that was picked for warranty purposes.... The tunnel was running at comparable to LSH speeds, but burning nearly double the mah used by the SV27 setup in my DH shovel.

Class list updated. If there are any errors, please PM me.

Dick-With regards to the OPC SV 27 class, I think the racers that are signed up (including you) should discuss how the race should go, what props work, etc, etc. You may want to find out what the Pac Northwest guys are doing and see if it's possible to emulate their OPC program. Just a thought.

This from Jordan on another SV 27 OPC thread about their experience. I think they still run on a 10th mi course.

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL
    are guys running NiMH or LiPo? (please say LiPo!!).

4S1P Lipos! You'll want at least 4350mah... If you can get the 30C 4500s or whatever is up there... that would be best... Also, get GOOD water cooling on the motor (OSE aluminum water jackets work great for $14.95...)...

We started out trying to run 10-laps, which worked fun from a racing standpoint, but took the cells down dangerously low... We cut it back to 8-laps and that worked, but now we run them for 6-laps... which is about ideal for the non-paralleled system...

5 laps on a 8th course is compareable to 6 laps on a 10th to start.
    Any one up for a Le Mans type start like the Champ boats ? we could draw for
    starting positoion for the first heat.

Dick, after reading your previous post, I was going to quote the same post from Darin..... ya beat me to it!

I agree on running less than a mile... on a GR 40/53-3 the WOF used 2500mah in 6 laps on a a course that was less than 1/8th mile, maybe larger than 1/10th. It needs to be trimmed out a bit more and may draw a little less when it's dialed, but I'm guessing its pulling over 60 amps.... the speedo didn't get over 90 deg.. Ordered a spare ESC today just in case. Also ran an M440, which seemed to work ok, but didn't get an accurate capacity drain on that run. Seem to recall reading that some were using up to 45mm props, gonna have to do some trimming on the REK to get that to fit.
    Last edited by PatrickM; 01-08-2008 at 05:27 PM.

I have a question.... What size corse are were going to be running this year @ WWIV?

I also agree.. with all the opc noobs and other possable problems. lets back off and not run these the full mile!

Thanks,
    John Fruge Madera, CA !! bbyracing Call Randy for great service & prices!
    NEU, Castle, RC Lipos, and more!

I think I will sponsor N2 Mono. put me up there Dave

Randy-Thank you!

WW IV SV OPC entries check out the thread for this class in the RC Boat club area
    under WW IV SV OPC Class discussion

Thanks , Dick Roberts

David, please add my name to the OPC/SV 27 tunnel class. Also, a shorter race would suit me & my meager battery budget just fine.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Class list updated. 1/8th course will be used.

Thanks to Joe Solinger for picking up class sponsorship for N-2 Hydro! His hardware is a piece of art and can be found right here on OSE. The longer rudder offered is a terrific upgrade from his previous version. I just put one on my N-2 rigger. Beautiful.

Also, Pat at rclipos.com has been added as a class sponsor!

Goodies also coming from RC-Hydros.com, and other vendors that are already listed as class sponsors!
    Last edited by D. Newland; 01-09-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Entry fee information edited on main page, along with pre-registration information.

Other sponsors-Don Wollard from RumRunner Racing and Doug Robichaud (Drobie). Thanks, guys!

Hotel information edited on main page.

Also, welcome Steve from Flightpower USA. He's sponsoring the SV 27/Blackjack class.

Welcome Darin Jordan/Banzai HydroSports as our SV 27 OPC Tunnel sponsor!

Welcome Flighpower USA for P mono, too. Also, SoCal Fast Electrics picked up Open Mono. Thanks, guys, and congratulations on your club formation!

I'm going to start another thread about SV27. Those that are signed up to run need to hammer out what you want to allow in that class. etc. There's something on the line now, so we want to be as consistent as we can.

We've got a commitment from Lenny Blake for CD again!

David and Pete...

I send my sponsorship committment to Pete yesterday afternoon... Should be there in a day or so....

SV27 OPC class is now covered! Have FUN guys!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks, Darin! Your support is appreciated.

Dave, please add me to P offshore.

Thanks,

Class list updated.

Also thanks to Doug Peterson aka DAIRYMASTERS, LLC for picking up P Sport Sponsorship!

Dave, it looks like if you still can fit us in we now have 3 "T" class CATS we can run.

So-Cal Bill, Randy N, and John Fruge

Fyi

John. We can add it back in for Saturday.

Are you sure Randy and Bill are in? Not doubting you, just want to make sure you're comfortable speaking for them.

I am sure about the 3 cats and the 3 fools that plan to run them...

Also just a note I sent off my pre-register info and check today!

I did call both of them to make sure and were a go for launch.

I can't wait!
    Last edited by jfruge; 01-24-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Default Sign Me Up

Sign me up for:

Friday
    LSO

Saturday
    N2 Mono
    P Offshore
    P Sport
    LSH

Sunday
    N2 Offshore
    P Mono
    N2 Sport

All on Channel 73 or 90.

Thanks,
    David Arndt

Class list updated! Things are lookin' goooood.

Thanks to Rick from VisionHobbies.com and Jim Slaughter from MiniCat Racing for picking up sponsorship of the Open Cat class!

Fred from uniquefe.com picked up N-2 Offshore!
    Last edited by D. Newland; 02-13-2008 at 02:03 PM.

For those shipping equipment, please use my business address as nobody is home at my house during the day.

David Newland-State Farm
    4150 W Peoria Ave Ste 133
    Phoenix, Az 85029.

I will charge a $20 handling fee for each box that is sent to me. not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast