Thread: 20" NQD Catamaran Brushless Conversion

Default 20" NQD Catamaran Brushless Conversion

Recently upgraded motors to Mystery 3000kv outrunners and 35A Seaking esc's. On 2S lipo is fair. Need to get 3s lipos now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYeeaq_Pm9o

Default 2s vs 3s lipos

Here are a couple of vids doing comparison runs of 2s vs 3s.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8E9e3PqCyI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4RfHubxTSw
    Last edited by damfurst; 01-29-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Nice videos. I bought one myself now. You don't perhaps have a link to where you built it? I just want to see how you cut it open and sealed it again to fit the new motors.

Quote Originally Posted by RCboatfan2010 View Post
    Nice videos. I bought one myself now. You don't perhaps have a link to where you built it? I just want to see how you cut it open and sealed it again to fit the new motors.
    Thanks. Here is the link where I first opened it up http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8661039/tm.htm

Since the last time I posted on that thread I have since put 2 part flotation foam in the front 1/3. Really helped stiffen the boat up. I also used 2 mystery 3000kv brushless outrunners, but had to make new motor mounts and couplers because the torque was breaking the stock ones. Also after cutting the hull open I just used some outside foam tape and used the top hatch that came with it. I used the rear mount and pin and on the front used a tab like on the mini rio. If you want some other pics I can take and post them for you. This boat is pure fun on 3s and will wave jump like mad. Very fun boat for the money.

Thanks for the reply and link. I also want to put in that foam, just scared I will crack the hull when it expands!
    I'm just at a bit of a toss-up to decide which motors to fit. Should I stay twin-drive, or should I make it a single drive with a 2845 motor running 4000kv but on 2s only. Then I will have space on its sides where the original drive-trains used to be for the two batteries. That will make it balance nicely with the weight of the batteries at the sides, and double my runtime as I'll be running only one motor and have two batteries in parallel. This way also means I can fit a proper mount from the start. I can feel the motors are really not tight in standerd form..

That is just too cool! Neat little boat...........great wave jumpin' action, and nice work on the vids!
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by RCboatfan2010 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and link. I also want to put in that foam, just scared I will crack the hull when it expands!
    I'm just at a bit of a toss-up to decide which motors to fit. Should I stay twin-drive, or should I make it a single drive with a 2845 motor running 4000kv but on 2s only. Then I will have space on its sides where the original drive-trains used to be for the two batteries. That will make it balance nicely with the weight of the batteries at the sides, and double my runtime as I'll be running only one motor and have two batteries in parallel. This way also means I can fit a proper mount from the start. I can feel the motors are really not tight in standerd form..
    Thanks Make a Wake.

Rcboatfan I wouldn't worry too much about the 2 part foam as long as you have one side open the foam will expand that direction and not push out on the hull. I also think that running this boat on one motor is very doable. I would certainly be interested in pics of your build and how it would turn out. You definitly want to strengthen the transom on this boat also.

I will surely post pics here. It may just take a while as after I decide which way to go and what to buy, I must then still wait up to 6 or 7 weeks for international delivery.

too bad it wasn't workin when you were out! fun boat - stable too.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Sweet videos.