Thread: Brushless ESC for micro hydro

Default Brushless ESC for micro hydro

Hi all im about to start construction on a Forrester Hydromite the hull is 16.25'' in length and 8 1/4'' beam. For motors i will be using a Align 430bl 3550 KV outrunner and a IMEX 4290 KV innrunner powered by 2s or 3s lipos . Im looking for a micro water cooled brushless esc for this motor battery combo. What are my options?Regards Andris Golts.

Welcome to the forums Andris! I had a Mini Cat Hydro and was going to use an Etti 45 watercooled unit (I sold them to fund other builds)....This would be a great ESC for you to use....

--->http://southriverrcboats.com/shop/ar...id%3DET-E45%26

-Kent
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

I am by no means an expert, but I know the Hydromite is a small boat. I got two of them I stopped working on awhile back...

Not sure on your motors, but here is a rather small and cheap ESC:
    http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7377

I have a "small bolt" micro hydro similar in size and I will be using the ETTI 45 amp model. A bit more expensive but I hear they are pretty good.

Yep...that one is definately a bit smaller....would work also.....
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

Keep an eye out on your setup... 2s is perfect, 3s is spinning 47,000+ rpms... a tad high

Hi i run 15" micro hulls myself, I have a mono that runs around 45-46mph when water permits. Use to use inrunner + 30amp esc till i upgraded every thing, Now use Etti outrunner 3600kv + Turnigy Typhoon 3450kv both on 3s 45c-90c lipo. ESC is Etti navy 45 amp water cooled (nice esc). These little helicopter motors produce amazing power & torque + their very cheap & only weigh around 70 grams compared with a water cooled inrunner motor that weighs around 115grams. My outrunners are running close to 40,000 rpm unloaded but i can still run x435 octura berylium props. Your Align outrunner motor should be ok in a hydro hull with the right esc but the inrunner will be way to much on 3s & is a 2s motor. The outrunner motor on 3s it will be way faster than the inrunner on 2s. As with anything at these revs you are pushing the limits which i accept. Im also going to be building a micro hydro soon useing my set up hoping to get to 50mph. Martin.

We have some of the authentic Hobbywing 35A esc's in stock we can sell for $35 shipped. It's the same as the turnigy one from Hobbyking.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Thanks to all for the great information. Regards Andris Golts.

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    We have some of the authentic Hobbywing 35A esc's in stock we can sell for $35 shipped. It's the same as the turnigy one from Hobbyking.
    Those are an awesome ESC. Have had one for over a year now and not one issue as yet. Very easy to program and they barely get warm.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 01-23-2011 at 06:58 PM.