Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IMPBA D12 FE Racing in 2011 (MD, DE, DC, VA, NC)

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    ...I'm pretty sure your X-Crabs is considered a rigger. I cant find any technical standards for a rigger other than size in the rule book. But like Chuck said, even if the Crab is not considered a rigger, it would still fall under the hydro class with no minimum size and a max of 27" for N power and 34" for P-power. There is not even a separate "rigger class" for record trials, SAW's and heat racing. It's just "hydro" which could include rigger, cat, tunnel, mono with steps or even a non-legal sport hydro...
    The issue is that the X-Crab is 27.4" and is likely only to run well on 2s1p (N-hydro). Worst case scenario, I'll have to break out the file and start at the sponsons! Who knows, it may be that I'll need to change the sponsons out for a different design. If that's the case, then I'll rebuild to 27" exactly to allow for either N or P in the future.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

I finally renewed my membership this morning!
    ...on to step 3

Step1: Get a competitive boat

Step2: Renew membership

Step3: Log some pond time before the races.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    I finally renewed my membership this morning!
    ...on to step 3

Step1: Get a competitive boat

Step2: Renew membership

Step3: Log some pond time before the races.
    What happened to rinse and repeat?
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

OK, is there any limit to parallel packs for time trials? I have a MaxAmp 2s(3p?) that I was considering running in a rigger for N-Hydro, mainly so I can push the COG forward.

Any rules on switches? I can't find any requirement.

Are we required to display IMPBA member # on models? The reason why I ask this is, I plan to bring several boats out to the races. If for some reason someone has an issue with theirs, then I'd like to offer them the opportunity to run one of mine if the need arises. Depending on what I bring, I may make a model available for an IC guy to try.

Ben there is no requirement to display the number, but from what I understand you can't switch boats during a race.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Hey Ben,

No limit on parallel packs.

Switches are not madatory though a nice safety feature.

We are not required to display any IMPBA #'s on the boats.

For SAW and record ovals, If it isnt in the rule book, it's not required.

What Chuck said about changing boats in heat racing is true. Once you run a boat in a heat you can not run another boat in that same class. Basically it means no backup boats.

Thanks guys. What I was really thinking is, if the IC guys would like to have a hand at FE, I was going to try to make that possible.

Meniscus,
    Matrix update:
    The cable was a .125. I pulled out the damaged aluminum stuffing tube and installed a brass 1/4" tube in it's place. Mow you can run a .150 with a teflon liner.

Wednesday should be good for a meeting to hand her back to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I've got a new .150 flex I cut a little too short with a liner. I have no need for it and it's been sitting in a box for a year. You guys can have it if you want. Total length is 9-7/8".

Thanks Mike. His .125 twisted and tore out the aluminum stuffing tube. needless to say, the prop and shaft are resting quietly now. It can get some good use in Ben's Matrix.

Cool. Happy to keep it in the district!! PM me a address and I'll get it in the mail on Monday. Just want to verify, 3/16" shaft okay???

3/16 is right. I don't know Ben's address... Ben??

Got the parts and don't need the cable. Thanks guys! I've been working on the X-Crab and doing a lot of thinking about what COG will be best. Jury is still out, but we'll have to see how she works. I still need another for my cat, but not going to race that so it can wait.

On the Matrix, some of the issue I believe is the fact that there was a large gap between the end of the tube and the coupler. When combined with an unsupported tube, it was only a matter of time. Just a shame I didn't untape to notice fracture in tube before loosing that prop. I still need to go over there with a magnet, but haven't made it over there.

Default D12 Winter Meeting scheduled

The District 12 winter meeting is scheduled for Saturday March 26th, 11:30 sharp at Anna's Italian Restaurant 7009 Mechanicsville Tpke, Mechanicsville, VA 23111

The 2011 schedule will be announced, proposed rule/class changes will be discussed and voted on by Don and club officers. 2010 District Champion jackets might also be passed out if Don receives them in time.

I'm confidant I'll be able to attend. If anyone has a rules change proposal and cannot attend, forward it to your club officers. If you are not a club member, I'll be happy to present it on your behalf. I don't foresee any changes for any of the current FE classes since things went very well last season. If anyone wants to discuss a rules proposal, please start a new thread. I would like to keep this thread debate free.

FYI- Pond situations for two clubs still have not been resolved but the clubs involved are working hard to get their ponds secured for the season.
    Last edited by Chilli; 03-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.

No luck on the ponds I'm working on. I'll let everyone know as soon as I know more.

Unfortunately, I'll be in Florida with my wife for the week of 19-27 March. Keep me up to date regarding the ponds.

OK, just asking general questions, but as I read the rules, it appears that the Tenshock Eco would be legal as mono, albeit subsurface and small. I used to have a Tenshock Eco and an H&M Eco which is legal for NAMBA under N1 Mono. Any reason why the Tenshock Eco isn't a legal mono for IMPBA?

In P mono, not spec-mono, is there any reason why I couldn't run 3s? Under the most recent rule book, it states a voltage range of 8.4 to 14.8. I'm trying to evaluate options with my No Step 1. While it runs 55mph on 4s with more to go, I think I'd like to save the weight and prop up on 3s.

Ben, I'm not familiar with the Tenshock. If it's 34 inches or less and has a single ride surface with no steps (strakes are okay) then it's a legal mono. 3S and 4S is good for the "P" power class.

Now here is the "keeping it real" disclaimer. If the boat is much less than 29 inches, it may have a hard time in race water during heat racing resulting in allot of DNF's. Six boats running the course make for allot of chop. This will cause frustration for you. Especially if you sink allot of money in the boat to get it ready for heat racing. Also a dead boat is a hazard on the race course and a small one that is hard to see increases the risk. Resulting in a better chance of your boat getting whacked as well as damaging other boats.

If your thinking record ovals than pray for light winds and your good to go. I think the P-mono SAW record is held by a 26 inch Delta Force hull.

I'm so behind the power curve!!! I plan on bringing three new boats to Franklin. None has touched the water yet. The mono is ready. The JAE is still waiting for new Castle Ice controller and the sport hydro is half way done.

I was just curious about the Eco hulls and how the outer sides would be judged, specifically if they would be considered "wings".

I understand the keeping it real concept. My No Step 1 is 24". It can handle the speeds and chop, my only concern is hooking although I've never seen mine do it. I'd never consider SAW with that hull, at least not this year. It would need a lot of fine tuning to get to the 65mph mark. It has very low lift and could possibly do it, but it's not worth wasting anyone's valuable time on the water. Rather, my main goal with running the NS1 is to make certain Chuck and the other local guys have enough FE racers for the P-Mono class.

I will not be going for any SAW this year. I don't have the hulls or anything tuned to the caliber needed.

I am planning to go after records for:

• N-Hydro either 1/4 or 1/3 mile oval with a secret rigger no one knows about.
    • N-Sport Hydro 1/4 or 1/3 mile oval with my amended Viper (should cruise at 58mph on straights).
    • P-Hydro both 1/4 and 1/3 mile oval with my well tested rigger (approx 67-68 on straights).

The real question is if I have time to step up before Franklin. I know there's a lot of good racers out there that are gunning for several of these classes. We'll see what works at the end of the day.

I am tired so this is short eco bottom

I wonder what that motor is....IMG00116-20110307-2334.jpg....probably too small to do anything

we could paint some cool stuff on that ben. I got my IMPBA card and my sons card today!
    Last edited by hazegry; 03-17-2011 at 05:56 PM.

REMINDER<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dit. 12 meeting 26 March at Anna's Restaurant in Mechanicsville.

My twin 45" Insane mono is just about done.

Mike, will work on your props this weekend. also got a few others you can try out as wll

Carl

No rush Carl. Putting a little paint on the JAE this weekend. Just enough to be able to see it. Got my turn fin. All I need is the Controller and I'm ready to hit the water.

Mike;
    props are done.

fired up the twin t600s today for the first time TOGETHER.

all I can say is SSSSSSSHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Carl!!! What a beautiful weekend and I've been stuck inside for days sick with the flu. I feel like crap but that didnt keep me from working on the boats. Don't know if my cough is from the flu or from paint and epoxy fumes. LOL I put a little color on the JAE. The boat looks like a Coast Guard Helicoper. The Insane sport hydro is just about done. Just need to finish up the steering linkage and that's it. I tell you what, I'm sick of building boats and am ready to hit the pond!

How about a Test'n Tune on April 2nd??

we can check with tracy at the meeting next Sat.

hey mike can you look at the hull bottom of the eco I posted above and tell us if its a legal p mono boat

Quote Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
    hey mike can you look at the hull bottom of the eco I posted above and tell us if its a legal p mono boat
    Unfortunately that hull is not a legal mono hull due to the stepped bottom.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

thats what I thought Thanks don its still a fun little boat to take to the lake and a good way to get the young kids hooked.

I'm glad Don chimed in on that one Jason.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast