Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPBA D12 FE Racing in 2011 (MD, DE, DC, VA, NC)

Default IMPBA D12 FE Racing in 2011 (MD, DE, DC, VA, NC)

I've actually got a little free time and just wanted to open a new thread for D12 FE racing for 2011. To say we broke the ice in 2010 would be an understatement. Thanks to all of you for making it happen! It looks like just about all of us have projects on the bench for next year, so I imagine things are only going to get bigger and better next year.

Here is where we're at for 2011 in a nutshell:
    We just finished up a trial year with combined nitro/electric classes for P-spec Hydro, P-spec outboard tunnel and P-mono. Things couldn't have gone any better! I expect the classes to be voted permanent at the district 12 meeting over the winter. Voting is done by district club officers. Now, what's in store for the 2011? I have to give Don a call but I think the trend is going to continue to try and bolster nitro classes that have been having light turn outs. I think Don wants to combine the bigger nitro hydro classes into a Open Nitro/FE hydro class. I think he also wants a combined Nitro/FE 1/8th scale class (with the parity rule). Personally I would also like to see Open Nitro Mono become Open Nitro/FE mono. So I'm pretty sure that's what we're looking at for next year. These possible new additions will have to be proposed and approved at the winter meeting before it's a done deal. Also remember FE's can run in Open Cat and Open offshore. But you better have a boat that's capable of running with big gas boats.

Now, some of you may be thinking down the road and wondering what's it going to take for us to get a class of our own? Don often gets asked to add classes for the district race series. His response is always the same. "Show me the money". Whether gas, nitro or FE. That means get a group of guys to build the boats for the class that you want to run and bring them to the races. And not just one or two district races. You have to have enough participation at almost all the district races. That's the only way we're going to get our own FE classes in the future. We had a great turn out at Chesapeake, but we had just one FE in Greensboro, two in Queenstown, one in Centreville and one in Hagerstown. So at this point ,we are not in a position to ask for anything. But as FE's get more exposure and their numbers grow, so will be our ability to get our own separate FE classes.

I hope you all have a great, safe Holiday season. I can't wait till spring!!!

Distric 12 FE rules can be found here:

http://www.impba.net/index.php?optio...catid=17&id=65

Here are the availible FE classes for D12 in 2011

Novice - no riggers (combined nitro/gas/FE class, non championship points class)
    B / P-Spec Outboard Tunnel - (combined nitro/FE class)
    B / P-Spec Hydro - (combined nitro/FE class)
    B / P- Mono - (combined nitro/FE class)
    Open Tunnel - 6S maximum (combined nitro/gas/FE class)
    Open Offshore - (combined nitro/gas/FE class)
    Open FE Hydro - 8S maximum (none championship points class)
    Open FE Mono - 8S maximum (none championship points class)
    Last edited by Chilli; 05-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks for the link Mike
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cool

See ya at the pond fellas!!!
    I hope to bring some more of the D13 gang this time.

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Looking forward to having fun with my tunnel the motor showed up today

Then can I have my OS leg back now?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for refreshing the thread Danny. Looking foward to running with all of you this year. Running boats is great but sharing it with others afflicted with this model boating disease we all have is what makes race weekends special. There are a ton of great people in this district. There are also a couple of okay guys outside the district.

I talked to Dick a few days ago. Chesapeake pond still has not been secured for this season. He is waiting for a meeting with the mayor. He also told me he wants to propose replacing D-Outboard Tunnel with a Open Tunnel Class. So that makes another potential class for us to run. It should be an interesting winter meeting. I'm sure Don will let us know when the meeting gets scheduled. Usually late February.

We are all IMPBA D12 members now. So if any of you have any changes or suggestions for the district, write up a proposal and submit it to Don or your club officers. If it's something very important to you, you can lobby all the club officers in the district since they are ones who vote at the winter meeting. Thats what I did with the FE proposal last year. Contact emails are on the D12 web site in the clubs section.

www.impba12.com/index.htm

Now lets all get to work on our boats!!!!

the one you keep forgetting to take with you that I even put in a ziplock bag so you could just grab and go sure lol. I gave my 2nd tunnel to a guy in the area I am hoping we can get him involved somehow this year as well.

Hi guys. We have a few clubs that haven't secured their ponds for the year yet. This is holding up our winter meeting and the release of the 2011 distric race schedule. The latest word is the winter meeting should be in March.

A few dates that I saw posted on the IMPBA site:

The weekend of April 9th there will be a SAWS event in Elizabeth City, NC

The weekend of April 16th there will be a 1/4 and 1/3 mile Oval Record Trials event in Franklin, VA

I'm sure Don will get more details to us as we get closer to the dates.

I do plan on attending the oval record trials event. Hope to see some of you out there. All boats must fit a IMPBA National Class. There are alot of soft records in the books for FE's in 1/3 mile record trials and many vacancies for 1/4 mile trials. Let's bump 'em up and fill in the blanks! If you have any question pertaining to what is legal, Doug Smock will have the answers for you since he is the IMPBA records director.

Let me know if any of you are planning on joining in.

Last edited by Chilli; 02-22-2011 at 11:28 PM.

When are practices held in Franklin?
    Did we really miss an event this last weekend in Chesapeake? It's on the calendar, but didn't hear anyone speak of it.

As for the Mayor, all you have to do is organize a fund-raiser and do a little marketing to general public. The last thing any public official wants is to turn down an organization hosting a fund raiser or prevent that from happening. Marketing would be as easy as calling a couple radio stations and choosing a beneficiary for funds raised. You could even do a general fund raiser for firefighters or something similar. Just a thought. Who knows, that tactic could increase interest in the hobby locally, especially if we compile the good guides already written to get into the hobby. At the same time, it will continue to support the LHS.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Another question, for record time trials, is this conducted with one boat in the water at a time or is it under race conditions with multiple boaters?

Also, how much to replace a buoy?
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Hey Ben, I also saw the Chesapeake event on the calandar but I'm not aware of anything going on that weekend. As for the Chesapeake pond, It's a ODMBA matter and all I know for sure about the situation is ODMBA is doing every thing they can to continue racing at that site. They have run events there for many years and it would be a shame to loose it.

I don't know too much about the Franklin site and I havent attended a record trials event yet. My guess is there will not be practice time at that site other than the three days the event is scheduled for. Hopefully one of the guys that have attended a trials event will give us the low down on how they are run.

looking forward to this summer I should have my dues and boat ready for april

If they only run one boat at a time for time trials, does that mean I could try my hand at N-hydro or P-hydro Oval 1/4 or 1/3 mile?

Ben they do run only one boat at a time and you can run as many classes as you wish. I'm trying to talk Danny into running a N Cat. Technically N Tunnel. Put the heat on him!!! I'm going to do P-Mono, P-Hydro and my son is going to run P-Sport Hydro.

If anyone has not taken a peak, the IMPBA record book can be found here. FE records are the last three pages.

http://www.impba.net/index.php?optio...d=63&Itemid=69

Doug does a great job of keeping it up to date!

OK. My H&M M1-supercat S will ne a 2S boat. (N-tunnel)
    I need a motor & ESC now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    If they only run one boat at a time for time trials, does that mean I could try my hand at N-hydro or P-hydro Oval 1/4 or 1/3 mile?
    Ben, of course you are welcome to come out and give it a go and I'll be willing to help if I can (I will be runing for numerous oval records). The only thing to keep in mind is that if the weather is less than desirable (usually winds) and we are waiting for good "record water" if/when that does happen the water is yielded to those running very close or at record speeds. In other words if you aren't "right there" as far as speeds go we give the run time to those who are. This has been a long standing "unwritten rule" at all our record events both oval and SAW. Look forward to seeing you guys there if you can make it, record trials are always an eye opening experience.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Sounds good. For the most part, I don't mind windy conditions, especially for the riggers in oval trim. I have a cat I could run, but I don't think I'll put the effort into it since it will likely be too slow.

Danny, you can borrow my ESC at the pond and I'm sure that Lehner would run just fine for that setup, as long as she's a little loose. I'll also have those lipos available.

Considering we're allowed to run any classes, I believe I'd be in for N-hydro, P-hydro in both 1/4 and 1/3 mile oval.

Anything in particular I should know about the water? Is it the same buoyancy as the Indian River location? Or have you guys been dumping water softener again? How much to replace a buoy again?

I'm sure you guys already have rescue boats figured out, but I do have a 16' canoe, 3 kayaks, and a trolling motor if we get in a bind.

Here's a clarity question for those that understand the IMPBA rules. I was thinking that my Viper could run as N-hydro and I don't see any issues with that. What I was wondering is, will it meet spec for N Sport Hydro? My specific concern is the wing in the front under the following rule:

"Picklefork hulls shall not have open areas ahead of the forward riding surfaces totaling more than 25% of the total hull length. No other hull vent(s) are allowed."

What is a hull vent?

From H&M Website:

Any help is greatly appreciated. Please note that my Viper features BUD decals, does not have a rear wing, and does indeed meet the spirit of sport hydro.

Vents would be openings in the deck area like the Bud T-4, Circus tri-wing, T-Plus, etc.
    Futaba Team Driver

Thanks for the clarity!

Question 1:

OK, still not sure if the Viper is legal for N Sport Hydro. Total length from bow to transom is approx 24.25". When I measure the open area, excluding wing in the front, meaning from the first open area from the transom to the bow, it measures approx. 8". This translates to about 33% of the hull length. So, is that how I measure it, or is it to be measured from the wing forward to comply with the following rule?

"Picklefork hulls shall not have open areas ahead of the forward riding surfaces totaling more than 25% of the total hull length. No other hull vent(s) are allowed."

I know this is complicated and if I was trying to adapt some hull that wouldn't meet the scale spirit of this class, then I'd understand. However, this model is scale in appearance minus necessary running hardware.

Question 2:

If I read the rules right, it does not matter what length a rigger is for any standard class, as long as it under 60". Is that correct? Also, are winged riggers still considered riggers such as my X-Crab?

Question 3:

How long does it take for an account to be approved for online login to IMPBA?

I really appreciate the help guys!

Ben I am not sure about the first question but as for the second one I ran my H&M XS2 at the end of last season when I didn't have the UL-1 any more and no one said I couldn't. I think maybe because the riggers and hydros were combined into a common 20 class.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Ben, I'm trying to find out who the IMPBA Hydro Technical Chairman is so we can get you in contact with him or her and get your hydro questions answered.

I'm pretty sure your X-Crabs is considered a rigger. I cant find any technical standards for a rigger other than size in the rule book. But like Chuck said, even if the Crab is not considered a rigger, it would still fall under the hydro class with no minimum size and a max of 27" for N power and 34" for P-power. There is not even a separate "rigger class" for record trials, SAW's and heat racing. It's just "hydro" which could include rigger, cat, tunnel, mono with steps or even a non-legal sport hydro.

I renewed my membership online in the fall and got my card in about three weeks. The IMPBA Secretary John Equi handles membership. If you havent recieved your card by the end of the month, drop a email to John at secretary@impba and I understand he'll give you your IMPBA number over the phone. The few times I contacted him he was very quick to respond.

BTW- Welcome aboard!!!!
    Last edited by Chilli; 03-02-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Ben, Our IMPBA President Keven Sheren was nice enough to call me this evening to let me know your sport hydro is legal. He also informed me that he is the one who handles the membership and he tries to process them on a weekly basis. So it shouldnt be too long before you receive your card.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautiboyz View Post
    Ben, Our IMPBA President Keven Sheren was nice enough to call me this evening to let me know your sport hydro is legal. He also informed me that he is the one who handles the membership and he tries to process them on a weekly basis. So it shouldnt be too long before you receive your card.
    Mike I was WRONG!!! The pickle fork is greater than the 25%.

Sorry for the inconvience.

Kevin Sheren

Got your phone message Kevin. Considering how many hats your wearing in the IMPBA, it's all good. Thanks for your quick response.

Sorry Ben

I got excited...and then not So I guess that I have to figure out how to fill the gap So much for scale Bud, even if it is well short of the length limit. Rules are rules. Thanks for the clarity guys.

At very least, I'm setup for N hydro and P hydro time trials at competitive speeds. Then I can run P spec hydro for races. It's just a shame I can't run P sport hydro. Perhaps the answer is to modify the Viper to remove the gap behind the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    I got excited...and then not So I guess that I have to figure out how to fill the gap So much for scale Bud, even if it is well short of the length limit. Rules are rules. Thanks for the clarity guys.

At very least, I'm setup for N hydro and P hydro time trials at competitive speeds. Then I can run P spec hydro for races. It's just a shame I can't run P sport hydro. Perhaps the answer is to modify the Viper to remove the gap behind the wing.
    Ben, all you need to do is add a pair of 2" extensions to the deck leading edges (where it says Bud) to get to your 6" total picklefork depth. I would make them the same shape and blend to the existing deck lines. Fortunately you are working with a simple solid color that with a liitle airbrush work your mod won't be noticable. I wanted to post something last night but I'm on call this week and didn't get the chance until this morning. Better to find out now than being at an event and finding out you're not legal.
    Futaba Team Driver

Very true. I try to do my homework. There's no point in wasting anyone's time or to find out after the fact. Most likely, I will not be ready with the Viper for the April time trials.

I have been tuning this model for quite some time and any changes will need to enhance running characteristics vice being a hindrance. That being said, if I do decide to make it legal, I will likely add a little downforce/ground effect to keep her planted over 60mph in oval trim. To start, I'm probably going to add a few mock pieces and see what it does to the handling, but this will take time especially since I do not have a strong background in aerodynamics as I don't do planes. I guess it will be trial and error. I just hope its more trial than error.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast