Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Traxxas Spartan

Re: $319 rudder... I don't use Chinese products on expensive, big gas boats...... I'd rather make them myself....

Quote Originally Posted by wilsta67 View Post
    the middle of the tray is the best position for batteries.
    done all the mods cooling jacket,bored out water pick up bigger hose, had esc set to race mode.
    sounds like you had it setup right William!
    funny how still today some want to blame the user
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Hum, I just scanned back and didn't see where I said it was the users fault. I was simply asking because nowhere did he ever say in this thread how he was running it. I know I'm guilty of getting a new toy and wanting to run it without reading the manual and only going back to the manual when somethings not right. I work in a customer support organization and have for over 20 years and there's always questions to ask that may help.... So I guess I'll stay out of this one for now. Good luck all.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek75 View Post
    Re: $319 rudder... I don't use Chinese products on expensive, big gas boats...... I'd rather make them myself....
    lol. Show me.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by wilsta67 View Post
    35c 5000mah in this video 42mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLl0hlM4wdU

and put in a set of 45c nano techs for the first time and this happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR6fgmHPSgw

You continued running a piece of equipment that was clearly exhibiting a known and acknowledged defect and this SURPRISES you?!?!?!

Gee, I wonder why the center channel came unsoldered

If that's not user error, I don't know what is

Quote Originally Posted by GeoVW72 View Post
    You continued running a piece of equipment that was clearly exhibiting a known and acknowledged defect and this SURPRISES you?!?!?!

Gee, I wonder why the center channel came unsoldered

If that's not user error, I don't know what is
    Uh I sure hope your not putting blame on a customer who is running this pretty much stock!
    this is not the only known esc to fail to normal use
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Idk, it's pretty plain as day there was a problem with his esc. That is on traxxas no doubt about it. The problem lays in fault of the user for knowing there is a problem being educated about issues and continuing to run the boat with defective equipment till it burnt up. Thus making the problem worse. And to top it off going to tell other owners of the boat what's it's top potential is in speed when the one he owns wasn't even peaking in rpms because of the problems it was having with the esc. I don't mean anyone any disrespct I'm just using plain and simple logic to examine the facts. I still think traxxas should replace his esc. It was defective no doubt. I just don't apprciate fueling the fires of hate with a bit of...
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

my question goes out to traxxas
    Where are you?

Well said Justin... It ran fine after many mods, using only stock parts, but highly modified for plenty of water flow ... Temps never exceeded 100.. I have the same stock setup, ran ok for the kids on lipos... After around 10 runs on lipo, esc malfunction, but no fire... Again, it is a toy, but we'll see how traxxas steps up with their warranty... Drivetrain went back today... If it's repaired for n/c, then that makes good business sense... My intention has been to use all stock parts, to entertain my engineers, but no touching the electronics... I'm not a big fan of Chinese mfg, but that's the world we live in... In a few years, their quality will improve....

to funny!
    some just don't get it.. traxxas is resposible for the esc and motor having issues
    not a user issue, but manufacture issue
    bad esc to start off with means failure no matter if we are using the stock Nimh packs from traxxas or using 6s on stock setup.. a bad esc will melt and let out the magic smoke

using a X447 or bigger prop (not stock prop) on the stock system without any runs first and causing the esc or motor to fail, could be called user error

running stock setup with failing parts, is not user error
    have any idea how many Brushless Revo esc's that failed that were on trucks with stock gearing running 4s and 6s?
    tons!!!
    traxxas had to replace many esc's because of some issue from the manufacture of the esc
    againg not user error, but customers seeing what there new trucks can do

That was my point about Chinese mfg... I have been dealing with it for many,many years... Not once has their first batch of anything been correct... Even after several revisions, the quality improves, but there are still bad products (out of spec) in every batch.... The reseller (traxxas) still has to sample each shipment until they become compliant... Even then, they should take random samples and run a complete test. That is why a warranty is very important on any new product..... That's why you don't see many Chinese parts on commercial aircraft..
    Last edited by Greek75; 02-22-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Revision

Quote Originally Posted by Greek75 View Post
    That was my point about Chinese mfg... I have been dealing with it for many,many years... Not once has their first batch of anything been correct... Even after several revisions, the quality improves, but there are still bad products (out of spec) in every batch.... The reseller (traxxas) still has to sample each shipment until they become compliant... Even then, they should take random samples and run a complete test. That is why a warranty is very important on any new product..... That's why you don't see many Chinese parts on commercial aircraft..
    interesting stuff man
    I did talk with someone at Traxxas last week about the issues and they think it is with the manufacture, as he says they did not have any of these heat issues durring testing ..

Guess its safe to say that the "Spartan" has worn off................................
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

just like the movie 300 and all its parodies lol

Doubtful, we just scared off the first wave of noobs
    there will be more

They have been out for awhile now, hobby shop has them for $300, is it worth it> Or not waste my time?

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    They have been out for awhile now, hobby shop has them for $300, is it worth it> Or not waste my time?
    You said it.........
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

you can buy mine for only $600 lol. just kidding.

You can spend $30-40 more and get a better boat. ProBoat or Aquacraft.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
    Based on all the reported problems I think I would have to say, step back from the Spartan and see if Traxxas steps up with reliable fixes to the problems first.

I called my LHS last week to cancel mine, but they said they had already shipped from the distributor, so I'm going through with the purchase out of respect for the folks who own the hobby shop, they are great people, they treat me really well, and I don't want to sting them.

I have lost confidence in the Spartan, but will be changing out the ESC for certain, and very possibly the motor as well. Hopefully the upgrades will get a couple years of reliable fun out of these boats, and I will chalk the extra cost up to entertainment with the kids.

The Aquacraft SV27 is the only other FE boat I have any experience with, but I can tell you ours have been reliable, and a lot of fun over the past few years.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyhatch11 View Post
    You can spend $30-40 more and get a better boat. ProBoat or Aquacraft.
    I would have defintaly bought another Aquacraft boat, if they offered some thing in the Spartans size range. That's why i bought the Spartan, for it's shear size, you just don't see many RTR or even bare hulls in the FE world that are much bigger than 30 inches. If the Pro-boat Miss Gieco cat had been bigger, like the Genesis, i would have bought one no questions asked! I run on a big lake, the SV27 is a fun little boat but it's very frustrating waiting for calm enough water, any little ripple and it on it's back. I am thinkin' my next build may be a Genesis hull, i have the Spartan for this coming season, maybe build a Genesis hull for next season. I still think i'll be in good shape with the Spartan for what i'm looking for.

You should have snagged up a DF40 copy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11892 sell the motor which comes in the boat (AWESOME MOTOR) just a little to small for this hull and use the cash to grab a leopard 4082. You wouldn't have any trouble selling that leopard. I was able to snag the hull and hardware before they went out of stock. I'm adding the Leopard 4082 1500 to mine on 5s & 6s. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15235
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

I'll just stick with my current setup then, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    You should have snagged up a DF40 copy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11892 sell the motor which comes in the boat (AWESOME MOTOR) just a little to small for this hull and use the cash to grab a leopard 4082. You wouldn't have any trouble selling that leopard. I was able to snag the hull and hardware before they went out of stock. I'm adding the Leopard 4082 1500 to mine on 5s & 6s. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15235
    Thats a nice looking hull, no doubt, but that's more than i paid for the Spartan and you still have to put in at least an ESC and radio (say's not included)!! I like that new DF35 hull, looks like it would handle chop really well, but it came along well after i bought the Spartan. I'm staying positive about buying the Spartan, although i'm itching to build/set-up another boat.

Yeah the only reason why I was looking at the Spartan was because of it's size. Plus being a noob I thought I'd stick with a brand I know and trusted. Good thing I had you guys here to shine some light on all the flaws it's having. I bought a used AquaCraft SuperVee 27. Got it in the mail yesterday. I just did the bath tube float test to make sure everything was sealed and blew some water through the hoses to makes sure they were flowing smoothly. If I'm feeling up to it I may take a trip to the pond. Being sick sucks, especially when you have new goodies to play with.

Only question regarding my SuperVee is the antenna mount. It's coming out of the cowling and the hole is a lot bigger than the antenna tube. Should I leave some slack inside the hull and then silicon the rest of it up? That way I'll be able to pop the top and have enough room to work and swap lipos.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678