Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Traxxas Spartan

Just try blowing through the lines. It should be easy to find where there may be blockage. Check the pickup in the rudder.
    How is he sure there was no flow?

I think 2 separate water lines & pick ups are much better, You seem to get less restriction when blowing through the lines than when you have 1 line going to the esc & then through the motor + you get cold water direct to the motor rather than warm/ hot water from going to the esc before getting to the motor. Also if you should get a blockage with only 1 line cooling esc & motor you can damage both the esc & motor rather than just one of them unless your really unlucky get both lines blocked at the same time. I know this from personal experience with 1 line cooling both getting blocked & frying both the esc & motor. Martin.

Fact is, if your motor is running very hot, then something is wrong
    most of us have single cooling setups.. running to the esc then to the motor
    so if the motor is damn hot, then either the prop is not the right size, the boat is running way to wet, blockage in the cooling line, or the motor is not the right size for the hull
    heck some dont even cool their motors because they have the right motor for the job
    Last edited by Brushless55; 01-10-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

It had nothing to do with running wrong props/setup as the boat run perfectly well with acceptable temps for a long time. Simple fact was it got a blockage whilst running which i didnt know off & continued with flat out runs & cooked the esc & motor which was a 3000kv motor. I also wash & blow lines through after each time out but still got a blockage. Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Fact is, if your motor is running very hot, then something is wrong
    most of us have single cooling setups.. running to the esc then to the motor
    so if the motor is damn hot, then either the prop is not the right size, the boat is running way to wet, blockage in the cooling line, or the motor is not the right size for the hull

heck some dont even cool their motors because they have the right motor for the job

Water cooling, at best, provides a "safety zone" , particularly for sport-oriented runtimes. It shouldn't be viewed as a way to save/justify an over-the-limit setup.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    [/U]

Water cooling, at best, provides a "safety zone" , particularly for sport-oriented runtimes. It shouldn't be viewed as a way to save/justify an over-the-limit setup .
    good way to put it
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    It had nothing to do with running wrong props/setup as the boat run perfectly well with acceptable temps for a long time. Simple fact was it got a blockage whilst running which i didnt know off & continued with flat out runs & cooked the esc & motor which was a 3000kv motor. I also wash & blow lines through after each time out but still got a blockage. Martin.
    We still talking about the Spartan here?

So you would be happy to run your Spartan as a sport runner with no water cooling, I know i wouldnt. Martin.

I wouldn't do it on any boat...cooler is better.

Any way what should i consider buying purly for sport/pleasure as most of us probably run & maximum enjoyment between the Spartan, UL1 or the Miss Geico & why. Thanks Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    We still talking about the Spartan here?
    Sorry, No it wasnt a Spartan. I was just giving the benifit of what happened to me with a blocked water line as i assumed some one had had a blocked line on a Spartan because they had asked under the Spartan thread. Thanks Martin.

Hmmm...apples, oranges and bannanas......UL-1, great boat for calm conditions and only turning right, seems the early production bugs have been fixed,,,,, Miss Geico seems to be a good all around boat from the many threads on here with a proven power train.......The Spartan is new and unproven yet,,,but seems incouraging.

So you would be happy to run your Spartan as a sport runner with no water cooling, I know i wouldnt. Martin.
    uhhhh, not one person said to do so

uhhhh, not one person said to do so
    Just reference to water cooling being a safety zone, I dont think you can generalise that accross the board as some will use set ups fairly conservative & other idiots like myself & im sure there are lots of us that like to push a bit to much. Lets face it we all get the bug to go faster & faster when we know we should draw the line & be satisfied with what we have. But we never learn. I wonder whos going to be the first to blow some thing in the Spartan not being happy at 50mph & looking for more. Thanks Martin.

Just reference to water cooling being a safety zone, I dont think you can generalise that accross the board as some will use set ups fairly conservative & other idiots like myself & im sure there are lots of us that like to push a bit to much. Lets face it we all get the bug to go faster & faster when we know we should draw the line & be satisfied with what we have. But we never learn. I wonder whos going to be the first to blow some thing in the Spartan not being happy at 50mph & looking for more. Thanks Martin.
    actually you can have very fast setups without motor cooling with the proper motor to do the job

When I put a CC1520 in mine I wont have the room I don't think to run a cooler, so I will see how hot that motor gets

Yeah, those Castle motors are monsters. The 1717 that I have on an outboard was initially air cooled and it never got hot even pulling spikes over 180A.

actually you can have very fast setups without motor cooling with the proper motor to do the job

When I put a CC1520 in mine I wont have the room I don't think to run a cooler, so I will see how hot that motor gets
    You are probably right that some motors run very cool & you might get away with no cooling ok, But a lot of motors especialy some of slightly cheaper ones run very hot indeed. Not sure if this is down to their design, build quality or inferior materials or all 3. I watched a guy on sunday run his brand new first time on the water DF 25" knock off boat with a fsd 380 motor had the motor seize solid on its 3rd short run. Total run time around 3 minuites in total for all 3 runs, Motor was extremally hot with water cooling working ok & on fairly small prop doing around 35mph. Im tempted by the spartan but an concerned about some of the side to side roll ive seen but that may just be incorrect set up & trim. It will be interesting to see how the hull runs going well past 50mph so i think ill wait & get more feed back as its very early days but first impressions seem very good & their close to delivering on their 50mph out the box which we probably all had some douts to whether it could delivered but looks like it will. So fair dues to Traxxas. Thanks Martin.

Water cooling a RTR boat should only need the single pickup. Most boats really only need one. I ran a single rudder pickup in a HOT setup twin cat. Worked just fine. You can simply just add a T or Y connector to split the incoming water.

Anyone have any vid of a well set up Spartan making some decent passes??? The few i've seen are either straight at you or figure 8's or the batts we're "too far forward" etc......................real vid, not promo................?
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

it wastnt a water cooling problem as he had lots of water coming through but a motor problem, Not sure if it was seized bearings or a failure inside the motor but their was a metalic bang & the boat stopped instantly. Thanks Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Anyone have any vid of a well set up Spartan making some decent passes??? The few i've seen are either straight at you or figure 8's or the batts we're "too far forward" etc......................real vid, not promo................?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Yeah, those Castle motors are monsters. The 1717 that I have on an outboard was initially air cooled and it never got hot even pulling spikes over 180A.
    pulling 180amps and not getting hot, is impresive!

Quote Originally Posted by tim v View Post
    any of you guys have a water issue ? no water coming through my buddy for cooling , he is going to put bigger hose on it...
    I'm still referring to this..

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Water cooling a RTR boat should only need the single pickup. Most boats really only need one. I ran a single rudder pickup in a HOT setup twin cat. Worked just fine. You can simply just add a T or Y connector to split the incoming water.
    I agree 100% that 1 pick up is enough for most boat especialy rtr boats for cooling, The point i was making about having 2 is if you do get a blockage in one & dont notice it youv halfed the odds on potentialy damaging both the esc & motor as one will still have water going to it, Just a bit of extra insurance on expensive parts & no down sides really on 2 pick ups. Thanks Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tim v View Post
    any of you guys have a water issue ? no water coming through my buddy for cooling , he is going to put bigger hose on it...
    take a look at the rudder
    make sure the opening is good
    I use a point file on my SV rudders to open up the inlet, and I get possibly 50% more volume going through the system

My SV motors with big props like a CF48, never get above 125*
    Last edited by Brushless55; 01-10-2011 at 06:16 PM.

I also open up the hole with a round needle file & also make sure the groove goes right to the leading edge of the blade for increaced flow, Some rudders the groove stops short of the leading edge. Thanks Martin.

Here you go, it's not the best quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOshzDb6s58

Thanks for the vid
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

looks good!

One of the better video's so far, looks like it handles really nice on 4s and is pretty quick. Was that still about 33 mph like the data showed?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast