Thread: ESC Switch

Default ESC Switch

I'm sure you folks know this but why do 200 dollar esc's not come with a simple switch to turn them on or off? My new supervee doesn't have one either but my old Kyosho Twin Storm sport boat did. Is it something to do with set-up? Or the high voltage they run? Just wondering thanks.

The only reason i see is that the power has to run through the switch. you could add one. some do . make sure its heavy duty for voltage and amp

The wire diameter on my Twin Storm switch was as thin as thread! maybe brushless setups are the reason. Either way it just seems wrong to have to power up you boat and then spend time taping the hatch down while it is "on".

I agree. It does feel dangerous at times. build a solid stand and keep your controller on a sturdy flat surface while taping hatch and you'll be fine. What some people do is run extra bec that has a switch but you still need it on while taping hatch and some use a simple kill switch wire that is outside boat that can be removed and installed after taping. check through the forum posts. there is some great safety ideas around

I have always seen them as a pain. I just plug the batteries in and then it's on. With the switch thats just something more that I have to do lol

If your not hitting the juice with a load on the thing, I would think the amount of power it is drawing at "idle" in a FE boat is trivial. Maybe someone knows for sure. Seems like thats something watts would know
    Fast Electric and Fast Ford's / V8 Mustang Enthusiast

I use a switch that powers the receiver on and off from the receiver battery, but remove the middle wire between the receiver and the controller. The controller will not arm (turn on) without power from the receiver wires. That is the on off switch for the controller. Make this switch accessable from the outside of the boat. These wires draw milliamps.

Steven sells a part for turning off the receiver power switch from outside the boat.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hp?prod=dh-203

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3170

If you are not using an external receiver battery you could place a switch in the middle wire between the controller and receiver to switch it on and off from outside the boat. These wires draw milliamps too.

I have seen one boat that was using a deans connector on guides and a rod to connect the main batteries to the controller, that could be closed from outside the boat. This has to be a high current connection. I would not recommend it.

Is this what you were asking?
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 12-14-2007 at 07:35 AM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

Sounds like ReddyWatts has it figured out and after I read that last post about a hundred times I will too LOL. I like how he sets up the switch so you can get to it from the OUTSIDE of the boat. I'm going to get to the bottom of this eventually but I just want to know why the guy who sold me a 200 dollar castle 120 decided that I didn't need a switch on it.

there is no safety issue when there is an arming sequence on the esc. I do not arm the boat until I drop it in the water.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.