Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to paint a boat

Ok I have a question that just may be stupid. I'm done will all the painting. Now it's to the sanding the final coat before applying the clear. My stupid question is do you really need to sand it down to a perfect smooth finish or can it be slightly rough?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAccord View Post
    Ok I have a question that just may be stupid. I'm done will all the painting. Now it's to the sanding the final coat before applying the clear. My stupid question is do you really need to sand it down to a perfect smooth finish or can it be slightly rough?
    not a stupid question bro...
    the better the prep work is the better your final results will be
    bad prep will usually show through the final paint job
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    not a stupid question bro...
    the better the prep work is the better your final results will be
    bad prep will usually show through the final paint job
    Thank you. I just was hoping for less work and a slight ruffness would hide behind the clear, guess not. Darn.

Thank you.

Thank you. I just was hoping for less work and a slight ruffness would hide behind the clear, guess not. Darn.

Thank you.
    you can sand the color if you want, i usually opt for just burying 3 coats of clear a day for maybe 9 coats then sand clear smooth and buff. you'll end up taking like 4 or 5 coats of clear off when you sand. spray cans are very thinned. and if metallics are being used sanding the color coats will look like rubbish when you clear

I do sand my clear coats with 1000*
    I lay two coats and dry for a day, then sand it good and follow with two more coats, and it comes out smooth
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Wow thanks guys. I'm using Krylon white color and Krylon flat clear. Clear is not on yet as I'm still getting the hull perfect by sanding. The hatch is done but the hull just has a lot of nooks and crannies. I'm not in a hurry just want it to come out nice. I appreciate the advice.

I use 1500, wet, on the clear coats and then shoot again. If not happy, I sand again and then use rubbing compound and polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I do sand my clear coats with 1000*
    I lay two coats and dry for a day, then sand it good and follow with two more coats, and it comes out smooth
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    I use 1500, wet, on the clear coats and then shoot again. If not happy, I sand again and then use rubbing compound and polish.

Wonderful! I'm getting nervous about doing the clear. I may have to make a paint booth to get it to come out nice. Thanks for the input.

Wonderful! I'm getting nervous about doing the clear. I may have to make a paint booth to get it to come out nice. Thanks for the input.
    Yeah, dust can jack up the paint

i have a white base coat sprayed right now but i need to do a little bit of sanding and fill a couple little holes i couldn't see until i sprayed some white on there. How long are you guys waiting after a coat to do some sanding with the 400? 90% happy just have a couple spots to clean up but, sanding paint and having it get all gummy on ya is a turd.

I use wet sanding paper and wait about an hour or two

Hi guys,
    Can one use enamel paint and enamel clear on a fiberglass boat? I happen to have it already....

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    What kind of rubbing compound?

I have some Mequires cleaner polish, can that be used? I had clear coated my PTSS in too humid weather and the coating went all cloudy white, crap.

I wet sanded lightly with wet 800 then more with wet 1500. I tried a little test spot with said above wax and, by hand it buffed up o.k.

What is proper method to buff up a wet sanded clear coat? can it be done by hand effectively??

Just trying to fix a near botched paint job.

Lastly, the small spot I test buffed, if I wet sand it again can I clear over it o.k. with no ill effects from the wax??

Thanks Sailr
    Nortavlag Bulc

What brand of enamel paint? Typically enamels are not very tough paints that I know of...

Quote Originally Posted by buck_jackson75 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Can one use enamel paint and enamel clear on a fiberglass boat? I happen to have it already....
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, it's much easier to just sand and recoat, then to sand and buff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
    I mostly use denatured alcohol. I know some people like to use rubbing alcohol but that stuff contains water and other additives.
    The reason I use alky is because I was painting an ABS boat hull. Acetone and plastic do not get along with each other very well.
    Wonderful. So I pick up some of this. My goal was to fix the area where paint wouldnt stick. Did some wet sanding. Dried the area. Went to use this and presto. Lifted all the lacquer paint I had down...

Terrific!

Now I gotta fully repaint a sponson...
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

yeah, stay away from anything but water and soap once youve already got paint on there. alcohol is a good cleaner beofre you put paint on, but not good when you have paint on already.

Painting is not my strong suit.

I sanded it down and used some degreaser-dewaxer stuff I had from painting a fender on a beater car. I had JUST enough paint to get the small sponson done.

Hopefully it turns out.
    42" Osprey, 32" Pursuit, 26" Bling Rocket (rescue), Blizzard Rigger, JAE 21FE rigger, Hobby King rigger (RIP)

OK I put on two of the small cans of Testors "wet look clear"

I then wet sanded it with 1000 grit. I decided to hit the sponsons and front with rubbing compound to see how good I did or didnt do. I can see easily where I didnt sand things smooth.

So Im going to have to sand more. However Im scared of breaking through the clear. So as long as I clean it with dawn dishsoap and hot water, dry it fully- I can re-clear it? Or am I screwed at this point? I got $30 into paint already...

You should be fine to reclear. Rattle cans are mostly solvents and contain little solids, so you may need from 15 to 20 coats to get a desired 2mm of film build

Dang, Im going to try getting away with less. With two more cans I should get 10-11 coats on it, maybe 12 in total. Its looking good but I can see every defect I didnt get in the epoxy stage. Next time I know better.

Well it also depends on how you apply it. Try putting it on wet... You may be able to fill some of the orange peel

Say what? I understand what orange peel is and I think its always going to happen with spray cans. The little bit of light sanding I did took out 95% of it it.

The last time I painted I did 3 coats with 20 minutes between. Paint says it can be recoated after 20 minutes.

Just follow the introductions on the can, and don't do more than 3 coats per day. I imagine your finish may look a bit like the texture on a basketball.... That's what orange peel means. Prolly not as rough as basketball but you get the idea

Yup. Lots of little spots. Where I sanded smooth is real nice. Then i hit it with 3M rubbing compound.

What is the best way to remove paint from a fiberglass hull without disturbing the gelcoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorcize View Post
    What is the best way to remove paint from a fiberglass hull without disturbing the gelcoat?
    Depends what the paint is and what your definition of "disturbing"is

Enamel paint and I would not want to sand through the gelcoat

Try some thinner. Gel coat is pretty tough

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast