Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spartan finally

On another hand... I'm going to be extremely impressed if this thing comes out screaming at 50 mph 6s and it is all it's hyped up to be.. That will be one interesting boat, then we'll get to see what proboat and aquacraft do

Quote Originally Posted by jac4412 View Post
    On another hand... I'm going to be extremely impressed if this thing comes out screaming at 50 mph 6s and it is all it's hyped up to be.. That will be one interesting boat, then we'll get to see what proboat and aquacraft do

I bet this sucker will do 50mph
    and I agree, I'm kinda wondering what's up Proboat and Aquacrafts sleeves
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    someone claims 20min runs on 6s?
    oh and this was run on 4000mah packs they say
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

TH PUSHED BACK their Spartan to Mid Jan.

Default Santa didn't bring mine.

I have had one on order from Horizon Hobbies for months now, and was advised that they were shipped a very small partial shipment, so mine was not shipped, and they are not clear at all on the when their backorders can be filled.

At this point, I think I may cancel my order until some of the guys that Santa has clearly showed favoritism to, have had a chance to put some time on theirs.

ABS as a hull material is an interesting to topic. It has some good characteristics and is friendly to the molding process. Repairing it is not as user friendly as Fiberglass, but it can be glued with ABS "solvent cement" or glue if you prefer. ABS has been a main stay in the plumbing industry as well as being used in countless automotive applications. It is less crack prone than PVC and is less expensive than laying up an fiberglass hull.

I have a couple of RC Sailboats made out of ABS that have performed quite well. Having said that, the manufacturer of the hulls made them thinner than they should have, and I have had to reinforce areas of the boat with fiberglass matting and resin, where stresses occur to prevent them from cracking. If they had used more material that would not have been necessary.

A friend of mine, just called me to let me know he got his. He has been able to put a few runs on the standard batteries, but didn't have the right lipos to try. His remarks were positive on the boats handling at the speeds the stock batteries produced. He is a builder and is trying to get his head around all the molded in racks and modular power tray features the boat comes with.

I am going to see his boat next week to check out the hulls thickness, and overall quality. Traxxas has a very good reputation, so I at hopeful the boat will hold up to the stresses that a 50 mph RC boat will endure.

I am a bit concerned as I watch the promotional videos of these boats at high speeds, they appeaing a bit unstable pitching and rolling from side to side. I will be interested to see videos of actual owner's boats running lipo equipped boats to see how they handle.

I am wondering if the trim tabs they are using are not large enough to stabilize the hull at the higher speeds?? Or if the boat is too light for that much speed??
    Time will tell. I sure like how the boat looks! At this point, I think I want to be a follower, rather than a pioneer.

as I said, time will tell.

Happy New Year

Boomer

Deep V's do Chine walk at high speeds...thats what they do....right up to the top of the line Delta Forces.

Default Wondering if some of that chine walk can be reduced?

Doby
    Thanks for the "heads up". My question still is valid, in that if you look at the size of the tabs used on this boat (and other rc V bottom hulls) in contrast to those used on the full size race boats, they are not in proportion to the hull size.

As an example a well known builder of very fast RC boat is Enforcer, uses trim tabs that are more in proportion to their boats size. The boats of theirs I have seen run are pretty darn stable. I know you are correct about some deep Vs chine walking at high speeds. I am wondering if at that point they are (1) running on, or at the "bleeding edge" of their capability (2) not step up as well as they could be (3) too light.

I know more about full sized high performance boats than I do about the FEs or nitro rc boats. All of my FEs are Cats, and are very stable. I ordered the Spartan for a couple of reasons, one is it's obvious good looks, it's inovative set up and the warranty. When ever I get one, I am going to work on reducing the pitch and roll issue. There are a number of methods to try, should be fun to find out.

Boomer

I have attached photos of a few different trim tabs and one of the real thing a K-plane from Mercury Marine HP. Notice the 1st picture of the AeroMarine tabs look very much like the real thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boomer; 12-30-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

would running 6s2p help?

Just picked up my spartan. Currently charging batteries for a run on stock equipment in the morning. Keep you guys and gals posted!

I went to our local hobby shop to pick up some deans connectors and there she was sitting in the box on the counter. The owner said the guy that pre ordered it changed his mind so this ones for sale. I was trying to get him to open it up so I could take a look but he said he can't cause he wouldn't be able to sell it at full price. He's got it at $379 which is a good deal in my eyes.

Hopefully someone buys it and runs at the pond we go to.
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

im curious as well as to how they will run.ive seen one short vid a customer posted on the traxxas website and it didnt show much.

i just received an email from TH and they shipped my Spartan order. i placed my order last October.

Boomer, you might get your boat anytime soon.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tower Hobbies news. I don't know if that will relate to Horizon Hobbies. It would appear that Traxxas is spreading these boats out, getting a few to each dealer. It maybe they are still behind and not able to fill their orders or backorders very quickly.

Horizon got some but not enough to cover their orders. Not matter, I am still in limbo on my decision to get one now or not as I mentioned in my previous post.

Thank you for your message
    Boomer

Default Wow

Ran the Spartan this morning with stock batteries. It went between 20-25 mph. UNIMPRESSED! Went to hobby shop and picked up new batteries 2 11.1 4000MAH lipos. VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!! I think the boat went between 50-55mph!

Were those Mph readings from a GPS or eyeballs?

Quote Originally Posted by TazMotorsports View Post
    Ran the Spartan this morning with stock batteries. It went between 20-25 mph. UNIMPRESSED! Went to hobby shop and picked up new batteries 2 11.1 4000MAH lipos. VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!!! I think the boat went between 50-55mph!
    just a guess or gps?
    eyeballs can be off 10mph or so

just a guess or gps?
    eyeballs can be off 10mph or so
    Probably. I assume you would need more than 6S1P 4000mah venoms (just guessing) to get that kind of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by keithbradley View Post
    Probably. I assume you would need more than 6S1P 4000mah venoms (just guessing) to get that kind of speed.
    I would love to do a detailed video of this rtr. I mean test runs on provided nimh as well as 4s, 5s, and 6s runs with eagle tree & gps installed. I just don't want to spend $300+ on a boat I really don't want lol, plus I don't own a eagle tree yet
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
    I would love to do a detailed video of this rtr. I mean test runs on provided nimh as well as 4s, 5s, and 6s runs with eagle tree & gps installed. I just don't want to spend $300+ on a boat I really don't want lol, plus I don't own a eagle tree yet
    I'm thinking of getting one for that very reason...
    4s, 5s, and 6s runs with the stock prop and then with some of my own

I'm thinking of getting one for that very reason...
    4s, 5s, and 6s runs with the stock prop and then with some of my own
    After you get all the testing done stick some REAL power in the hull and see how much abuse it can take lol. I read traxxas has the hull on warrenty. If that is true beat the s**t outta it go back to stock and send it back lol....
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

After you get all the testing done stick some REAL power in the hull and see how much abuse it can take lol. I read traxxas has the hull on warrenty. If that is true beat the s**t outta it go back to stock and send it back lol....
    Bro, your like reading my mind!
    after I find out what it does with the stock XL motor, in goes one of my CC1520 motors!
    it's the top one

Great (crazy) minds think a like lol....

Is the bottom a 1717? If so throw it in, the hulls on Traxxas lol
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

well I do have a 3rd 1717 that's the air version I could try? hmmmm
    but the 1520 should slip right in!

well I do have a 3rd 1717 that's the air version I could try? hmmmm
    but the 1520 should slip right in!
    yea a 1520 will indeed rip. Both will be WAAAAAAAY better then the 540xl
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

yea a 1520 will indeed rip. Both will be WAAAAAAAY better then the 540xl

Quote Originally Posted by Snowride View Post
    Wow, I started a thread only to say the Spartan is finally being shipped after several months of delays and you guys managed to turn it into a bashing thread based entirely on nothing as no one here has even tried one or seen one for that matter. Seems like a real nice place to get factual and helpful information
    well put

Quote Originally Posted by lost rustler View Post
    well put

Brand new-bee here...impressed the last week or so with everyones' experiences! Proud owner of a new SPARTAN...waiting on my 3s 11.1v 40c(50c burst) 5000 lipo's. Would like to pick up speed without gutting her so I'm looking for any suggestions including the correct prop to max out top-end. Looking forward to the advice and promise to pass-on my results to all!!! Thanks to all...Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by 101onwater View Post
    Brand new-bee here...impressed the last week or so with everyones' experiences! Proud owner of a new SPARTAN...waiting on my 3s 11.1v 40c(50c burst) 5000 lipo's. Would like to pick up speed without gutting her so I'm looking for any suggestions including the correct prop to max out top-end. Looking forward to the advice and promise to pass-on my results to all!!! Thanks to all...Ciao
    welcome for the forum..
    well the ones who are having good experiences with this boat are removing the stock motor and esc and using a totaly new setup
    also an upgraded cooling system to

welcome for the forum..
    well the ones who are having good experiences with this boat are removing the stock motor and esc and using a totaly new setup
    also an upgraded cooling system to

And welcome.

Unfortunately it seems that very few are having long term success on 6S with stock setup.

Not to discourage you, read through some of the prior threads, and keep in touch with what is going on here. Don't be surprised if you find you want to upgrade eventually.

Kevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast