Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pics and shakedown run impressions

Default pics and shakedown run impressions

Hey guys...finally got this sucker finished last nite, and had a chance to make a quick run this evening. I must say, I'm very impressed! I didn't have time to take the gecko GPS with me, I was running out of light fast. Set up again is Hacker B50 10L, CC Hydra 120, 12 Accosiated IB4200s, and a balanced x440. I had the Strut set fairly deep, and it showed, I'd guess speeds in the mid 40mph range. I've already made some changes to raise the strut depth a bit, and I'll go up a few prop sizes tommorow. Heres a few shots of the finished product.

Nice! Take some VID if you can!
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Dude your set-up is crisp
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Nice setup. My only issue is the motor mount area. Push on the fiberglass in that area. Its very thin. At some point I would suggest adding a piece of carbon fiber in that area and remount the motor mount.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Looks good

One question is in not better to run the water cooling through the esc fist then the motor jacket ??

David

Looks really good, I would think about adding a sheet of C/Fiber, as Steve suggested!! Just to make motor area nice and stiff!! Cant wait for some video!

Trey very very nice..I love a clean setup. I agree with Steven how ever on the CF suggestion. PM me I can help you out with a small piece .

Hey guys...I appreciate the compliments and suggestions, but after looking over the area around the motor mount, mine is extremely stout and barely bends...I'm wondering if maybe proboat saw it as a problem area, and added some extra glass in that and other areas.

As far as water cooling goes, I doubt it maters much if it goes to the motor or esc first, after running it yesterday near the battery dumping point, nothing was overly hot, only warm to the touch.

Anyhow, weathers crap over here today, but if I get a chance to run later, I'll post up the results.

ttyl

Trey

Did you change the location where the flex shaft comes though the hull?

No, stuffing tube was actually installed when I bought the hull. The hobby shop charged me $115 for the new hull and hatch, had the wood work and stuffing tube installed. I just made a motor mount from some angle aluminum I had laying around. I also filled the spin fin and drain hole with fiber class cloth and CA.

ttyl

Trey

You may find that once the water warms back up that you will want to cool the ESC first! I'd hate to have to buy a new ESC!

Nice build though!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Wait you bought the hull with hatch and stuffing box and tube installed for 115...wow
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Water warms up...lol...I'm in south louisiana, the water never really cools much! Its mid Decmber and 80+ degrees out! Whatta winter...lol...anyway, It'll be fine I'm sure. If temps become a problem I'll drop a prop size.

Yeah, $115...I've been going to the same hobby shop for over 20 years now, so me and the owner are tight enough that if I need something special, he'll give me his cost or close just to help me out. Good guy!

Well, no running today, possibly tommorow after work...just depends on wife and kids and work and well, you get it.

ttyl guys

Trey

Cool, because I've seen the replacement hull with hatch for 121.00 online and the esc and motor for 66.00 each.

Nice boat dude! How's it turn?
    Fast Electric and Fast Ford's / V8 Mustang Enthusiast

Actually, it turns very well, not as bad as my old Drifter S which was what I was expecting. Its only got two quick runs on it. I'll try and get it in the water again this weekend, and I'll post up with some top speed info and a better idea of how it turns with my rudder set up.

ttyl

Trey

Ran my BJ 26 yesterday for the first time, on 4S2P 3700mAh 25C lipos!! Great run time and very fun to drive!! Handles rough water really good for a 26" hull ... The motor seems to be smoother than the SV27.... For a RTR under $300 NEW, I think itis a great little boat!! I will have to try some upgraded hardware next!!

Alright guys...GPS'd a run today, with 12 IB4200's hot off the charger in the stock battery boxes, and a sharpened balanced x642 I got 48.6mph on the GPS. The cool thing was I probably ran for over 5 minutes before I brought it in out of plain curiosity. Next run, I'm unsure when that'll be, I may try a V or a 21 series 3 blade prop, or possibly keep it simple and step up to an x645...so my goal to go mid 50s continues...more to come.

Trey

Did it turn good? Any spin outs?

I tried to run a v947 but it just bubbled water like crazy...The 645 worked good for me...But the guys here telling me thats whats eating my ESC's CC need a data logger programmer like Jeti/Hacker, doesn't that BlackJack 26 Brushless look sweet

I may try a V or a 21 series 3 blade prop, or possibly keep it simple and step up to an x645...so my goal to go mid 50s continues...more to come.

Trey
    Trey, from what I have been told the V-props are more for SAW running. What was the temperature of the esc, motor, and batteries?

Hey guys, the boat handles reasonably well with the speeds its running, no spin outs at all, I'm sure the stock driveline is very prone to that hence the inclusion of the spin fins. And the introduction of misaligned thrust angles when the drive is turned...that is unless the drive is adjusted perpindicular to the transom...which would be less than optimum for straightline purposes. Again though, I'm not really running this boat for any other reason than just to fart around and see how fast I can get it going, so turning isn't really a big concern. My hardware choice was just based on past experience setting up a nice free running driveline.

As far as V props being for saw use only, maybe for this boat yes. While they aren't good oval props for most boats, I've used them successfully in both N2 and P hydro for oval racing. In order for a V prop to work right, the driveline must be set to run parellel to the waters surface at all times. The possibility of using them on a cat is probably limited to straightline running, but for what I'm doing it may fit the bill. Also, the 21 series props are another high lift prop, but a bit more forgiving as far as non parrellel running angles, but they are very high pitched, if I recall, they may even have a higher pitch to diameter ratio than the V props.

TX I don't have a thermometer to tell you any temps, but off hand I'll say the esc and motor were warm but ok, and the batteries were hot but not unberable. This is the first set of 4200s I've used, and they are way more tempramental than the old 2400 nicads and 3000 nihms I've used back in the day. I think Steve Hill said something about them loosing voltage very fast after charging if they are left to sit for any period of time, and I experienced that first hand the other day after charging the batteries the day before running...the boat ran like it was on 6 cells...crazy stuff. Anyhow, today, I took the packs straight off the charger after multiple re-peaks and ran the boat a few minutes after, so the batteries were hot going in the boat to start.

Short version...lol...I may go buy a thermometer tommorow and start making some notes.

ttyl

Trey
    Last edited by treystoys; 12-19-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: whats grammar?

Trey, the set up looks clean, I think you have done a great job! How about some video? Mabey with a temp gun reading!LOL HAHAHA

Hey guys...had a chance to run the boat today with the x645, had I not had the gps, I'd have been telling you guys the boat picked up 5 mph cause it looked faster and lighter on the water, however, the satelites don't lie! The boat was actually almost 3 mph slower. Speed droped from 48.6 to 46.2 mph. Now the crazy part...every single item, batteries, motor and esc were cooler to the touch even though speed was slower, and the 645 obviously loaded the system more...I guess I'm stumped. If the 642 was faster like the gps said, I was expecting higher temps with the 645... My first thought is to try a few props that are smaller or same diameter as the 645, but with higher pitch...like a 2137/3 I also have a p747 I'll try too. And since the smaller of the two 6 series props I tried was actually faster, common sense is telling me that maybe an x640 would be faster yet...who knows.

Tell me your thoughts guys and what some of you may have experienced with similar set ups. Again, I'm running 12 matched IB4200s, a Hacker 10L (I think the same as some of the AMMO motors, about 2300KV) and a Hydra120...two gps'd props were x642 (48.6mph) and an x645 (46.2mph)

later guys

Trey

Default Nice setup!

Trey, what inline rudder system did you get for your cat? Sorry I'm a nooB and I have only run my blackjack 26 Brushless 4 times which I bought about 2 weeks ago and I am already seeing the problems with the u joint. (I think thats what its called.) I think its time for an upgrade already. Thanks for the help.

Tony

Thanks Tony...I'm not using an inline set up. Its a traditional offset hardware set up. I'm running a Fullers super strut and bracket, and the mini speedmasters rudder with the 2" set back.

Trey

Hey guys...tested a 1640 today, after the 48.6 run with the x642 and the 46 run with the x645, the 1640=poopoo. It ran ok, but the gps read 38 and some change...and the boat was slugish getting up on step...sooo baxk to the 642 props...maybe a normal x640 and the P series props in the mix.

Well, just figured I'd update...hopefully next post will be better news.

Trey

I tried a stock prather 220 yesterday and saw 43.6. I will try a couple of tweaks to it, and see what she will do. I have to do some repairs to the hull though. I had a blowover again at 50, and not there is a bit of damage to fix.

it was a nasty blow over I was there to witness.
    I have pics of the runs, but did not get the blow over as that was a later run.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

I took a brush and epoxied the whole hull, a light layer of 5 minute... I need to get my outboard SV running again and Start on my BJ outboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast