Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50" Expresscraft Thunderbolt Twin Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Looks better bro!
    what did you change on this run?
    Absolutely nothing that I can think of. Well, it did have the added couple oz. of weight from the GPS.
    The only real difference was the chop on the water and wind that I think was not letting the tunnel fill with air on the downwind runs. To me it seemed like it was running heavy on the downwind. I was too chicken to punch it running into the wind.

your Genesis looks kicken to
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

I think that may have been Chris's (osprey21) It runs pretty good now too.
    Did you check tiqueman's HPR on 6s? He caught some serious air in that chop.

Quote Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
    I think that may have been Chris's (osprey21) It runs pretty good now too.
    Did you check tiqueman's HPR on 6s? He caught some serious air in that chop.
    this one?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKdKjjqCYMg
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Oh OK, that one is mine. On Chris' (I'm being lazy and taking care of YT as well) think he went to a X642. I've ran the same one on mine but it's not that much faster than the X640 it's running now. The 642 is rougher on a 6s 1p battery setup too.

Bill, do you know if the bottom of your hull is the same as the Thundercat?
    I may do a twin on that hull...

Wow. That is a cool boat you have there and you must be proud of your handiwork which seem to be really appreciated by everyone here!! It really seems powerful and I liked the sound of it!! Hope I can make something like that and that’s definitely going to be one of my pet projects!
    Life

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Bill, do you know if the bottom of your hull is the same as the Thundercat?
    I may do a twin on that hull...
    I haven't seen a Thundercat in person so can't swear to it. I know the MTI cat is different (a friend of mine has one) and would be tough to do as a twin since it has a curve on the transom end of the sponsons. Would make it really difficult to mount stingers.
    Drop Tom an email. info@expresscraft.com Might take a day or two depending on how busy he is but he is really good about supplying photos of his hulls to answer questions like that.

I haven't seen a Thundercat in person so can't swear to it. I know the MTI cat is different (a friend of mine has one) and would be tough to do as a twin since it has a curve on the transom end of the sponsons. Would make it really difficult to mount stingers.
    Drop Tom an email. info@expresscraft.com Might take a day or two depending on how busy he is but he is really good about supplying photos of his hulls to answer questions like that.
    Thanks for the info

A couple of fresh vids from yesterday running at Scott's house. 1st run is on 5s and nothing special. His pond is a little narrrow for the big boats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlrGxeFWEY

It's still good for SAW passes though if you start back far enough. Finally broke the 60 mph barrier with detongued X447's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiP2EODrBuo

Nice!!!
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

Very Nice....

Nice setup!

What temps are you getting?
    Nothing like keeping you lipos warm and your prop wet!!

Everything is staying cool to the touch with the detongued X447's on it Even the caps on the esc were very reasonable. Think the motors were about 103 main esc body around 110 and caps about 120. But it had a little cool down time walking back to the table with it.

As nice as it runs and as proud as I am of it, it's still no match for Scotts HPR 115 with Castle 1520's on 6s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAyT7GdFeI

I can at least take pride in keeping up with his with the video camera.

Interesting.

I have the same exact setup in my 54" Fountain hull but I am using Leopard 5692's and I am hitting just over 59 MPH in a really short burst of the throttle. I haven't even gotten to open it up for longer than a couple of seconds.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=21373

I am new to FE and the fact that you guys are happy with 58 MPH on a 50" cat makes me super happy that I can achieve the same speeds in a 30 pound mono.

That cat looks super smooth and stable though where my mono is just itching to fly out of the water.

Tried the Thunderbolt again this past Sunday but with the props spinning out from the tunnel instead of in toward it. Only GPS'd at 59.3 but found it's capable of a full throttle turn with it set up that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjiInzIXgbI

Beautiful boat...
    Never had luck turning twins outward, like the full scale boats...
    My models always seem to do better turning them inward...

"Tried the Thunderbolt again this past Sunday"

This is bullsh*t! I gotta move!!
    I'm sack deep in snow and you FL boy's are still runnin, why do I live in MI???

Quote Originally Posted by igottalongone View Post
    This is bullsh*t! I gotta move!!
    I'm sack deep in snow and you FL boy's are still runnin, why do I live in MI???
    I really don't know why, but better you than me.

Very nice, what timing are you using on the escs? I am asking because the HPR sounded like the motors rev up more but actually the kvs are almost same. Maybe there is a difference in timing?
    Twin Cat 135, Sprintcat40 (single-twin), DF 35", Maritimo, Mean Machine, SV 27
    http://www.rcfastboats.com/

Thanks DISAR.
    By the spec sheets that come with the Turnigy 180's timing would be @ 11.25. Scott has Etti 150's in his HPR so don't have a clue as to what timing he's running. There's only a 20 kv difference in the no load speed on the motors. The 1717 is 1580 where the 1520 is 1600.
    I think the biggest difference as far as rpm (and speed) goes comes from the weight difference of the two boats. The carbon fiber HPR on 6s 1p is consideably lighter than a gas layup polyester hull on 6s 2p. It's pnly pushing around half the weight and it lets the props unload better. The Thunderbolt is 23 pounds when full loaded, I'd guess the HPR to be in the 11-14 pound range. (I've never picked his up so it's a real rough guess)
    I still like it though. Mine handles chop a lot better than his.

Thanks DISAR.
    I think the biggest difference as far as rpm (and speed) goes comes from the weight difference of the two boats. The carbon fiber HPR on 6s 1p is consideably lighter than a gas layup polyester hull on 6s 2p. It's pnly pushing around half the weight and it lets the props unload better. The Thunderbolt is 23 pounds when full loaded, I'd guess the HPR to be in the 11-14 pound range. (I've never picked his up so it's a real rough guess)
    I still like it though. Mine handles chop a lot better than his.
    13 lbs on the HPR w/ 6S1P per side ( I just weighed it), so you were pretty close Bill

"(Ive never picked it up so its eally a rough guess") LOL cuz I dont let anyone touch it

"Mine handles chop better than his. " But, mines faster

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    "Mine handles chop better than his. " But, mines faster
    Not if it skips off a tiny little wave and lands upside down.

Not if it skips off a tiny little wave and lands upside down.
    Looks like were going to have a throw down on the pond huh? Youll be behind me so I wont have to worry about your wakes.. only mine. Although, yours throws like a tug boat wake When Bill was idling it thru my pond to get to where we were going to run we commented how the aluminum rescue boat w/ a trolling motor on it throws a smaller wake than Bills cat. Awesome!

Keep in mind I'll only be behind you for so long. In order to lap me you have to come around and pass me. Guess where that puts you then.

It does throw a heck of a wake when it's idling. We could hear the waves slapping the shore. Seems to go away once it's on step though.
    While we're goofing off in here, got any idea of what the timing spec on the etti's is? I meant to ask last post but had a crs moment.

I had to come back and post this one. Goldfinger on 5s 2p running against Speed Racer (60" MTI with Little Screamers Marine Scream) on 10s 1p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NJumIsc3Jg

Dang!
    sounds like turbines running...

bill, did u have enough room in the hull to do what u had to do? ive seen caves that wernt that big...nice boat hope to see it next week sometime...ron:

oh ya do any of the lhs down there stock 4mm connectors? i got some on order but will not be here in time i am sure
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Hey Ron. It seemed like a good one to try twins in. With big hands it's hard to work in a small one. If we're having decent weather for the weekend you're planning to be in the area I'll bring it out so you can see it in person.

We have 3 hobbby shops locally. George's in Palmetto stocks connectors but is only open on Tuesdays & Fridays. I know Machine's used to have 4mm Castles but haven't been in there recently. Hobby Marketplace has a website so you might check it for availability. I go there occasionally but don't recall ever seeing any bullets. I'm pretty sure Phil's up in Pinellas would have them.

Hobby/Robot Marketplace stocks them on a "limited" basis.
    http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-EFLA249.html

Or... I have 6 pairs of new take-off 4mm's your welcome to. Gratis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast