Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triple Cat

Default Triple Cat

I got this Daytona/Genesis hull from FighterCat a while back.I re-inforced it with FG matting and resin.I also sprayed Great Stuff window and door expanding foam in the front for a little more strength and mostly for flotation.
    The 3 motors will be Align 600XL outrunners in 1650kv and most likely X447 props.These will be run on 6s with 120 amp esc's.Im still waiting on the stingers from Ben,so as of right now,Im at a standstill.I will be using .187 flexes,2 left hand and 1 right hand.
    This wont be a speed record setter-Im expecting low to mid 60's with it.Im building this a triple just to have something different.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uh Oh! Larry is "upping the bar"

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Uh Oh! Larry is "upping the bar"
    No,no,no..Just wanting something out of the ordinary.I learned alot from my EKOS by not re-inforcing it to begin with,so every hull I get will get it.These motors arent really a "hot" kv for 6s,but it ll run good Im sure.The Prop Shop in the UK has some bigger than 47mm and 50mm twin drive props,so maybe I can move up a bit in diameter without heat and amp loads since there will be 3 motors.

You got my attention my man!! I like it!!!

Lets stop bending the rules of normalcy, instead lets destroy them! I love seeing out of the ordinary builds. I like doing them too obviously.

I'm watching.

Nice idea!!! Very cool..............

Wow!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Thanks for the comments.Hopefully,the stingers will be here soon so I can commence building.

I bet you hit 70's with that setup when you find the right prop. This thing is going to be a monster Larry. Very cool build

With it being a triple u might get away with the x450/3! Sweet build!

Thanks.I hope I can get 70 out if it.Ben says the stingers might be here by Feb.1.Im getting ancy to build it.Still need to by esc's and a couple more batteries and small parts.

where's the "all aboard" emoticon?

I'm in...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Hope you have a big bag of popcorn Jesse,it ll be little while yet.

you said outrunners right?

Thats what they are.Theres an "outer"can to them.Thats why you see water jackets on 2 of them.

where did you get them?

Bought them used in the Swap Shop.I dont know where you can buy them new at.They are Align brand motors-I guess do a search on them.

Default align

Those are stock motors for the Align 600 e heli. readyheli.com has them in stock new. The 600L motor is a crap shoot with some of them being not very tolerant to heat. The newer 600M motor almost eliminates that issue and has a longer mean time before failure rating. Ask me how I know. you can find them new and used on runryder.com as well. Some guys buy the kit and sell the motor out of it and go for high end aftermarket motors from Xera, Plett, Neu or Actro. fwiw. Might find them on ebay but stay away from the 600L new on ebay chances are they are the troubled ones that got unloaded. jmo
    Larry c ya at the pond soon!

That made me paranoid.Maybe they will be fine since theres 3 of them?

Default no fear

Remeber they were air cooled only under the canopy of a 7 to 8.5 lb heli with the pilot doing stunts that would destroy a full scale heli running very close to wot. In your application I can't see heat being an issue. I was just sharing nfo.

Thanks.I checked out readyheli,its a nice site.Was looking at the Scorpion motors too.

what about the Castle 1717 air motors that are the TRex 600 replacements?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Default scorpions

I've had 6 or 7 scorpions and have yet to own one that I did not like. Got one in each of my helis and plan on putting 2 in my mini cat. You must service the bearings tho. No big deal,,,a drop of oil for every 5 or 6 flights or ceramic bearings.
    They even sound different with the ceramic bearings.

My wattmeter said the castle was more efficient than the scorpions and slightly more powerful than the align motor but I could bog the castle easier than the scorpion. I had to try hard by doing pitch pumping tic-tocs but the castle was easier to bog on the same pinion and setup.

Stingers in!!!The build commences!!!

I'll be checking back often Larry Need anything just holler.

That's really different, I like that concept.

As of the Align 600. Personally I think the benefit using outrunners in boat was the cost. But as Leopard join the market this advantage today no longer exsists. You don't want to hear my sad story with Align 600 motor. It ended up with a nice looking white magic smoke in my 1/8 buggy after only approx. 1 minutes of its debut run, and that wasn't a hard run. The cooling jacket does very little help if any. The motor will soon become a warm hearted cold man who's really warm inside. Actually you can tell what they're capable of by just watching the 3 slim wires.

Thanks,Mad.This one will be going kind of slow.Have to save up for a few parts Im lacking.

Hull has been stunged.Got the stingers mounted.Still have to mount the strut/rudder for the center.Im also open to outrunner motor suggestions.Im kind of paranoid about the Aligns with amp draw/heat.Wouldnt mind running Scorpions,but dont know which ones.Id like to have 1800kv motors for 6s running.Any ideas?

Got the strut/rudder mounted.These pics are just mock up with props stuck on for pictures.Its pretty tight back there with 3 X447's hanging there.Im hoping to get the rest of my parts soon.Im kind of getting excited to run it now after seeing 3 props on it.

Now don't take this the wrong way Larry because you've been doing this fe thing longer than me but I'd like to ask a couple of questions. Just doing some 'what if' math with some good 30-40c cells. 1800kv x 3.5 x 6 puts your motor @ 37800 rpm. Are there props that can actually move water and ultimately your boat at that rpm? And how much energy will be wasted and turned into heat if the motor can't reach the sweet spot? With that said I used to set up my 12s heli for a given head speed and selected motor kv based on what I KNEW that head speed was. You've been playing around wit these cats and have an idea of what a certain prop will do with so many cells in a boat that weighs whatever. There's my 2 cents and btw scorpion has some sweet new motors if you can shoehorn 40 mm in that hull 3 times or if you know something you'd rather not share here's the 30mm motor I ran in my 500,,, http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...S-HK30-1900KV/ Just plain stupid power on 6s. There is something to be said for 1400 watts x 3=4200 for sure. I want to see this boat fly, I'm very interested, actually excited and wondering if grown men should be this excited about toy boats

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast