Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HPR cat in snow, because the pond is frozen

Very interesting. Does it scuff the hull as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    I'd think it's not going to happen with a mono. Twin cat, and BIG props. Super short rudder.
    Yeah, that is what I am afraid of, but I have to try!!!!

Brian

Snow rudder! This is such a cool idea! That just goes to show how bad our addiction is. We will run it in the snow if there is no water!!
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

The Germans did it last year with a miniboat :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yCUabsOmw

thread about that mini twin mono :
    http://www.schiffsmodell.net/showthread.php?t=35393

just watch out for the chocolate flavored snow...

for this new field of rc boating (get it, "field"?) the breakaway function of the rudder is extra important. I wonder if we will need as much flotation for running in snow?

I will report back today about mono - my twin triton just twitched when I watched this video. I will also need to try a single motor cat.

where would we be w/o OFE forums? no high speed cameras, no snow running, no place to go cyber-hang out... you guys are the best!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    just watch out for the chocolate flavored snow...

for this new field of rc boating (get it, "field"?) the breakaway function of the rudder is extra important. I wonder if we will need as much flotation for running in snow?

I will report back today about mono - my twin triton just twitched when I watched this video. I will also need to try a single motor cat.

where would we be w/o OFE forums? no high speed cameras, no snow running, no place to go cyber-hang out... you guys are the best!
    We would be doing chores and other boring stuff like that!
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

Snow mobiles on water and boats on snow makes all the since in the world. . It is cool.

yep, it's cool. it's very cool, and that's why the pond is frozen en we need to put boats in snow, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerwin Brommer View Post
    The Germans did it last year with a miniboat :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yCUabsOmw

thread about that mini twin mono :
    http://www.schiffsmodell.net/showthread.php?t=35393
    While I do not read german, the pics in that thread are good enough. One problem I have with it though, I do not think that flood chamber is going to work in the snow! Maybe I am wrong....

OK, might get to work building a twin 24" mono now if my other ones do not work.

and to think we are supposed to get rain here today as it is warm and all the snow has just about melted. Odd to be upset that it is this warm in december!

Brian

i would think the snow has to be a certain consistancy for this to work (a.k.a) its not going to work in fluffy or light powder. i would think a moderately wet snow would work

I disagree. I think your going to need light pow just like in the vid. Once the snow is packy, or compressed, there will be nothing for the prop to push. If he had kept running in the same strip, over and over eventually, it would't work any more.
    I have plenty of snow right now to try this, and 10-15" more on the way tonight. To many people at the hill today to shred anymore, so I may get busy with this.

No windows here!

why cant you just click the youtube link?

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    You are able to watch this? You have windows on it? Jesse my Mac is amazing... Just need to put windows on it. Too bad windows is rubbish and I wont

Hows this.......

I just went outside for fun and threw the Sniper 23 in the snow. Gave it a shove to get going. It would go about 23-30 feet and then just cavitate and come to a stop. Wet snow today. I'd bet with a big prop, and some fluff, it may work. I couldnt stop laughing at it when I tried.

Thumbs down airboat on ICE

wander over rc universe and watch a PA. gentleman use his small airboat on lake ice. Mine does the same thing on ice. Were having a blizzard right now so i can take airboat out. First snow.

I just went outside for fun and threw the Sniper 23 in the snow. Gave it a shove to get going. It would go about 23-30 feet and then just cavitate and come to a stop. Wet snow today. I'd bet with a big prop, and some fluff, it may work. I couldnt stop laughing at it when I tried.
    get a big prop and bring the video camera!
    I be this could work with a F1 and Hydro to
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Cat would work the best . Maybe a WIDE body rigger in your CO region as the snow would be more fluffy ( less moisture content ).I'll know tomorrow as we are having a blizzard and will try my small airboat which is 17" long on the hard snow surface. I see on OSE where the Germans show a build of a small boat and a closer look see a flat or almost flat bottom for riding on top of the snow. That would be an easy build even with no plans and use common sense in the 17" range. Take a look see and draw your own conclusions. They used twin props but i would use a single with trim tabs toward the outer edge of the transom with small twin turn fins.

A rigger could be a blast!
    snow races anyone?
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Woo hoo! I'm praying for snow! lake aren't frozen yet but now the snow coverd field looks to fun! I can race my 2 hpr's together! My Wife is excited about snow Cat-ing

i dont think that flood chamber is to useful in the snow on the mono, unless the smow melts quick

does this mean no hatch tape is needed?

HAHA.... so it actually worked with a mono? nice!
    Go Brushless or GO HOME

My Sniper 23 might get a maiden voyage in the sow!

There is a storm coming they say but, just rain so far....

Get out the 50mph cat :)
    Nortavlag Bulc

WOW! that's neat

I guess the amp draw is low, he is using 1 x5s 30c pack and 2x1940/7 LMT at approx 2200kv roughly 41000 rpm and 2x Octura X457s, very neat!!

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelW View Post
    Hello Guys,

just wanted to tell you that this is acutally my HPR06 in the video driving on snow. I had the idea after some "Glühwein" (hot spiced wine) at the last meeting of the PBS Passau members and today I tried it the first time.

As some people had problems watching the video, the link in the first post of Gerwin is deactivated, now the video is available at our Youtube Account:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuNt0PUahTY

(maybe Gerwin could edit his first post, that anybody will see the change immediately!)

So thanks that you like if, I have already some ideas to improve the performance. This was just the beginning......

For any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Best regards,
    Manuel
    Ya know, after watching the vid the first time i was pondering....just how much drinking did it take to come up with this idea? My suspicions are now rewarded. (BigGrin)

Again, well done, unbelievable.

Awesome video! Might try this with a Tunnel. I would think the lower amp draw and ambient temps in snow would be cold enough not to require water cooling. JMO
    ? WHAT RULES?

Have to put this one on my android, no one will believe it otherwise. Awesome at least. A couple of inches more here and I'm tryin it.

No retrieve boat.

No doubt if you were in Lane 1 or Lane 2.

No need to find a pond - a park will do.

Looks like a winner to me!

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Default What's next, wings?

This fellow has opened a door to a totally new world of fun for RC boating enthusiasts. The next thing will be to put wings on these things so we can fly them.
    I wonder want kind of damage the snow does to the props, and if it scratches up the hull?
    Boomer

I just had to try, ducks don't work ing the snow

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast