Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P1 prop talk/discussion

hey antslake, how was the temperature of your motor and esc when u ran on 5s lipo. I am thinking about buying the kos p1 and would like a little more speed then the 30-40mph range without spending alot of money on changing the motor or esc. The guys at venom told me not to run over 4s, but if your 5s worked fine and was in the mid-forties mph range then that would be cool. If this is not possible with stock setup then i might do what jamespl did and get the turnigy 1600kv motor. He said it was a direct replacement motor so, it sounds simple enough to change it.

It all depends what prop you run. Running this boat at those speeds is pretty hairy, and unless it is absolutely flat you will probably flip it all the time. The motor gets pretty hot in the summer running 5S and x437 3blade, too hot for my liking. 4S is more than enough for everyday running. I only do 5S and 6S when going for a speed run. It's really pushing it though. I actually have the most fun running 3S in the mid-20's in rough water. I will be experimenting with hot 3S setups this fall.

well maybe i'll do that, get 5s for speed runs and 4s for the rest of the time?? I dont know.... Maybe for $20 it would be worth it to buy the motor jamespl has and run 5s the whole time..... I really dont know what to do..... anyway i dont know what charger to get, what do u reconmend??

It all depends what prop you run. I will tell you what Chris from Venom told me. Get an eagle tree data logger and start experimenting. I bought one of those motors too, but I haven't tried it yet. As a matter of fact I have a 1600KV, a 2000KV, and the stock 2200KV motor to play with. I also bought a turnigy 80amp speed control. So far everything is holding up under my extreme runs, but it is stressing the system, and putting the boat at speeds that it just wasn't designed to run. 30-40 mph is fine for that boat, and you better have it tuned right (tabs, and prop angle). That boat can get airborne quickly.
    I am using the icharger 1010b. I bought a bunch of 2 and 3 cell 5400mah packs, and can arrange them in 3,4,5,6s configurations. I am using venom packs as well, but they charge at 1c, which takes an hour or more to charge. But I have enough packs to get 4 runs in which is usually enough. You could get some of these new 6c charge rate packs, and have the 1010b charge them in 10 mins.
    I have other chargers too, so when I get home, I just gang everything on the chragers and in an hour I got everything charged again.
    The x438, and the 640 props work good on this boat, but can draw over 60 amps at full throttle, so be careful. The speed control in the boat is pretty hardy according to venom, and what I have experienced.
    Change the bearing to a boca bearing in the drive strut, and get yourself extra drive cable.

Correction on the last statement, the stock motor is 2000KV. The motor I got from fightercat racing is 2200KV. Which I just installed. I am trying some more props, and more data to follow. I had to return all my Venom packs, because they all lost their capacity, and all got puffy before the one year warranty. Venom will be testing them and hopefully sending me some new ones. I hope so because I did not come anywhere near what these packs are rated for, and always took care of them.

I just got 2, 2s Turnigy 5.0 packs, and I have to say I am very impressed. These packs barely get warm when I run them.

I tried my 940/3 prop and was disappointed. Lots of cavitation. Couldn't really tell how fast it would be because it was a bit too rough, and couldn't open it up. Once it hooked, it seemed to really want to go. I will be putting back in my eagle tree and trying it again. It might be good for a top speed run, we will have to see.

I also tried a 42mm Gruapner carbon prop, and all I can say is WOW. Hooks from the beginning, and blazingly fast on 4S. Keep in mind that I have swapped out the motor to fighter cats 2200KV motor, but the boat never felt better. It had great take off, great top speed, lot's of control, and handled awesome. I'll try to get better data this week, and some video.

I have a wire drive in the mail, going to be trying that too. I am also still using the stock speed control, and this could be limiting me too. I have a 80amp turnigy that I need to get busy on and get in there, because I am sure I am drawing over 60amps, but not much more. So far I am thoroughly impressed with the stock speed control and motor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12