Thread: Anyone know if a Turnigy 35A ESC is enough?

Default Anyone know if a Turnigy 35A ESC is enough?

I bought one of these boats, Widowmaker, on eBay pretty much new, but the ESC had burned and been removed for $90. The stock ESC says it's 30 amp and I don't want to spend to much on it so I was wondering if any one had any idea if this would be ok for this boat on 2S.
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7377

Thanks
    Rafael

So you were the one who outbid me on that boat..lol
    Should work fine. I run the pro boat 2900kv and the seaking 35amp esc in my Aquacraft Rio and it works great. 36mm prop on 2 and 3s. That proboat esc will burn, does not have burst abilities like the seaking. Go get it!!

Hahaha! Are you referring to the one from hobbmart?

Thanks for the input. I figured it would be enough and thought problem was with the stock ESC. Just thought I would ask before I bought it and found out the hard way that it couldn't keep
    up.

Yeah, the one from hobbemart! I have been trying to get one for over a month but do not want to spend more than 75 bucks for the hull. I am sure I will get one eventually..lol I want to put my the seaking in it with my grim 36x55. Then I will convert my Rio to the rescue rig.

What size sea king are you planning on putting in one?

Honestly I bid on it thinking I would get outbid, like I always do when biding on Hobymart stuff. I didn't even check the auction till Tuesday and it ended on Sunday :P. Then I read the reviews on this forum and others and was completely bummed out about winning it. Saw videos of it and it skips along the water like crazy! But I figured for now WTH, I'll just keep it and mess with it a bit and try to tame it to where its drivable.

To start, I might even throw my spare Mamba Max in it without water cooling and see how hot the ESC gets. Considering it has 3 caps and its 100A continues rated it might do ok on 2S in this boat. By what I hear the motor in the Widowmaker is pretty efficient anyways. Worst case it will just thermal and shut down. If it works but is a tad to warm, I'll rig up a way to water cool it and save $50 on a lesser ESC.

I have the 35amp that I plan on using in it. Got it for $34 from value hobby, great buy for the money. Also have a 60amp seaking but that's probably going in my supervee R soon so I can upgrade the motor.

I hear you can tame them down quite a bit with some strut adjustment. It does look like a fun boat for wave jumping if you ask me!! Good luck with it and let me know how you like it.

Hmm, wave jumping does sound fun!

Thanks, and I sure will let you know.

Default Seaking ESC

Hi Jackblack26

I have a Shockwave 26 I converted to brushless using the Widowmaker motor this summer. As I needed to buy a brushless ESC I bought the Seaking 35A ESC, thinking it would be better than the ProBoat stock 30A ESC which a lot of people have had problems with burning up.

The 35A ESC ran fine with 6-cell NiCd and 8 cell NiMh packs and 2S lipo, using the Proboat plastic prop and an Octura replacement Y534 I got after the original prop broke. However when I got an Eagle Tree logger I found that the motor was actually drawing much more than 35A - up to 50A or so. The ESC has a "burst" rating much higher than 35A which was actually OK for my pond - I can't run for more than 10s at full speed anyway - but I decided to upgrade to the Seaking 60A ESC instead for peace of mind when I upgraded to a Y535 metal prop. However I do hear that the 35A ESC is conservatively rated and puts up with some abuse, so a good buy for <$30.

-yellowbird

Thanks for the input, Yellowbird. For now I have decided to stay with the Mamba Max speed control in there. I ran 3 5000mah 2S packs back, to back, to back today with no water cooling to the ESC and I could hold my hand to the heatsink with out it burning my thumb, so it had to be under 100*. I forgot my temp gun. The boat is so small and light that I don't believe I will need a cooled ESC unless I upgrade to a bigger prop. The boat is already a handful as it is, so I think it will stay as it is and just get a metal version of the stock prop. I did break the stock prop and I threw in the one from my Apache. Don't know if it was a different one but I did notice a bit of change in speed. It seemed faster for some reason and it was kicking up more water. I'll post a video of it running in my other thread.

Default Mamba cooling

Hi JackBlack26

Just a thought, you could try adding a water cooling plate to your Mamba ESC for a bit more protection? OSE has these for ~$6

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80678
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80674

which you may be able to shrinkwrap or tie wrap on top of the existing heatsink for extra cooling.

- yellowbird

Haha, I was going to be ghetto and just JB weld some tubing along the sides of each end, length wise, on the green heat sink

But seriously, I was going to take the ESC apart and see if I can get the stock heat sink off. If I can I'll put one of those over the FETs, attach it with heat transfer epoxy from Radio Shack, and shrink wrap it. Thanks