Thread: venom 3000 blew up today

Default venom 3000 blew up today

1 of my batteries went boom today. It made a bit of a mess in the boat, so it has to be cleaned up now. lol

I had just completed a short run with the bj and as I was pulling the tape off the hatch the battery let loose and puffed a nice black cloud of smoke.

"it was funny right....................... fool"
    Last edited by Avanti; 12-02-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

I was not name calling that is a quote from Gabriell Iglesis (not sure on spelling) when he is talking about his friend Mondo. Fool is just the name he uses for everyone it's like bud or pal

anyway obrien is my best friend I would never dog him like that. the battery blok up was funny, you should have been there I've never seen anything like that.
    Last edited by Avanti; 12-02-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

sjfe its all good. he is my best friend and we say that to each other on a regular basis.

The post had no context and I had no idea you guys even knew one another. It just looked like a stab. In case you didn't notice your profile is public. Thats where I got your name. You may want to correct that also .

thanks I thought that part of the profile was for admin. I fixed it

Default venom 3000 blew up today

I had this happen in a El Lobo II, the fiberglass Lobo. The cells were the dark green 2600's and cells vented when i opened the cover. What happens is when soldered by you or the manufacturer, the solder covers the vents, not all the vents but a few which prevents the cells from breathing. Remember when i was told to try and keep the solder on the nipple or it would present problems. I also had micro-bullet which was geared on 8 2600's and it vented and blew the cover off with a LOUD BANG and sank. The best cells for me are the old 2400's and charge as if new. I think alot of soldering problems come with dirty head and not cleaning it with a wet sponge which is in a old cat food can. Now you can join the smelly boat club on the RED Forum!

The 2400 NICAD cells do have a spring vent that resets if cells vent. All of the NIMH cells from China have a plug in there and once it fails it's gone. What happens when soldering improperly is damaging this plug more often than not.

thanks,
    Steve

When I reassembly my battery packs, how to I make sure it is all soldered properly so I can prevent as many problems as possible?

Is you pack end to end or side by side. You can see the cell vents when doing a side by side.

Venom NiMh + High current devices = Blown Cells

I have two 3600 packs that I'm converting into receiver packs with whats left over.

Actually all my NiMh packs are being demoted to "goofing around" packs.

2008 I'll be running LiPos on all my boats,,,there is no comparison between the two.

The only packs that even come close are 4 packs of IB4200's I got from OSE when Steven used to build custom packs a few years ago. They are still the best of the bunch of NiMh's that I have

"The only packs that even come close are 4 packs of IB4200's I got from OSE when Steven used to build custom packs a few years ago. They are still the best of the bunch of NiMh's that I have"

Back in the good ole days of being able to get good cells. I built some packs for Steven as well.

Maybe you built my packs ,,,they are still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlepack View Post
    Is you pack end to end or side by side. You can see the cell vents when doing a side by side.
    They are end to end right now, but I want to change them to side by side.

I have 2 sets of IB3600 that Steve from Battlepack matched and built for me. A quick story... I have a light bar that pulls quite a few amps. I test all my packs all the time. Those IB3600 packs he built and matched BLOW every other pack including my Lipos away. Some of the other cheap packs drop under 7 right away. Simple test.. no hiding put the pack on the bar, let it burn a min then test voltage with a meter. His IB packs push over 7.8 volts on a load. When I first test there over 8v. Awsome packs.
    Last edited by ice329; 12-05-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Default venom blew up

obrien, when changing end to end , make sure your iron is 1/4" wide and has a point like a screwdriver to reach inbetween cells. Now it's going to be a ( censored ) to do , i wouldn't tackle it and i tackle anything, better off buying!

I never had a problem with cells venting....and I never even knew they had vents!!! WOW!!!! can you guys take a pic of them so I can see? All I have are lipos now :-)

For the most part I ran IB cells....IMO the IB cells where more powerful, but the GP cells lasted longer. That was my experiance with NIMH batterys.
    Fast Electric and Fast Ford's / V8 Mustang Enthusiast

Default venom cells blew up

Battlepack is an authority and probably has some pictures. Pictures show better than words!