Thread: New Boat for a 4year old.

Default New Boat for a 4year old.

Yeah so ive been thinking highly about trying to get my girlfriends son into boating... Not so sure i want to unleash him with any of my boats just yet. Hes turning 5 in december and he likes watching me when we visit the ponds. Sould i try to do a low volt ABS hull or a cheap/crap walmart boat and let him learn that way? IDK just kinda lost in a final decision, curious to see what you guys think about it.
    I believe it's my god-given right, To destroy everything in my sight. Cause it never gets dull, it never gets old. The only thing it gets is more bold. Drinkin', fightin', going to the game. In our world it's a way to stay sane. If you're asking me. To have it my way, I'd say that's One fine day. ---- The Offspring

reef recer is self righting and rtr out of the package

Yeah very true... think it will take a beating? I know him its gonna get stuck in anything thats full of water.
    I believe it's my god-given right, To destroy everything in my sight. Cause it never gets dull, it never gets old. The only thing it gets is more bold. Drinkin', fightin', going to the game. In our world it's a way to stay sane. If you're asking me. To have it my way, I'd say that's One fine day. ---- The Offspring

Would you like a crappy walmart boat? lol

Tenshock eco from minicat racing. Run on 2s, it will be pretty slowish. mid to upper 20's. Almost impossible to flip, plus it's self righting.
    Best of all, if you run on 3s, YOU will have a blast with it.

Here's one from Aquacraft..............14" and will go probably 15-18 mph.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXTHM4**&P=ML

I would recommend the Reef Racer 2. My little brother who is 7 has one and he loves it. It got a bit slow for him so I installed a brushless system and a lipo, and it's even better now!

But for a 4-5 year old I the stock RR2 is perfect.

The Eco from MiniCat racing is really awesome, but it's more money and really fast - at least too fast for a youngster IMO.
    SV27 w/ Ammo 2300 / Stock ESC || Pursuit w/ Leopard 4074 2200kv / SeaKing 120a ESC || MHZ Drambuie on Ice w/ 2x Schulze 4.160wk's / 2x Neu 2215 1.5y's

Quote Originally Posted by WrknItUp View Post
    Yeah very true... think it will take a beating? I know him its gonna get stuck in anything thats full of water.
    Ha Ha.... Come on..... I know plenty of adults that run boats "get stuck in anything thats full of water"...

Really, I would think that a Mini Rio or a Mini WildCat would be good options. There are may offerings that Aquacraft, Proboat, and MiniCat can offer. Give him a chance, he's got to start somewhere...

Mike

My 5 year old girl and 7 year old boy both have pro boat mini-v's, parts are cheap and easy to get your hands on!
    ..Eagles may soar in the clouds, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines..56" P.I. Fountain /37"Genesis Cat.-1717/T-180/33" DF Copy-1717/T-180

Quote Originally Posted by b.mcdaniel.2009 View Post
    My 5 year old girl and 7 year old boy both have pro boat mini-v's, parts are cheap and easy to get your hands on!
    I second that, I have a five year old and a three yr old that love their mini v's

I would opt for the mini rio over the mini v. The rio is water tight and the mini-v is definetly not.

what about the new pro boat duck jet boat..no prop to break..2.4ghz , and looks cool to

I found a lightly used new style Traxxas Blast (waterproof!) for my 5 year old, he likes it. Good little boat.

I would still choose the Reef Racer 2 over all of them. It's self righting and has awesome handling. Turns on a dime and goes a decent speed. You'll be happy with it, and so will the 5 year old, haha.
    SV27 w/ Ammo 2300 / Stock ESC || Pursuit w/ Leopard 4074 2200kv / SeaKing 120a ESC || MHZ Drambuie on Ice w/ 2x Schulze 4.160wk's / 2x Neu 2215 1.5y's

I have a proboat fastech for sale, includes 2 sets of nimhs so is completely RTR. My son has had a great time with this boat, and I'm upgrading him to a toysport triton. Has a 2 week money back guarentee, to boot! Shoot me a PM if interested.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=19161

Chief

Quote Originally Posted by timjz View Post
    I found a lightly used new style Traxxas Blast (waterproof!) for my 5 year old, he likes it. Good little boat.
    and................a lightly used blast: http://cgi.ebay.com/Slightly-used-Tr...item4aa6946888

mini vee is nothing but problems , oh ya but mine is brushless and 3s, never ran it stock but it takes on lots of water, i re state reef racer