Thread: medina619 brushless conversion

Smile medina619 brushless conversion

well i started my Brushless conversion and its in testing phase.lol I wanted to share my progress to help others by passing on some of my trial and errors. So far im very impressed with my progress but still have a lot of room for improvement. I did add some Great Planes segmented Lead Weights to balance out the Rio. Im going to list some of the parts I installed for other to use or not. any recommendations are very welcome and needed. thanks!!!

Im running a Turnigy B36-40-07 2900kv Inrunner BL motor,Force Control 60a water cooled ESC and linked together with a Octura Coupler Flex Hex 5mm to .130.

60A Watecooled Waterproof Brushless ESC
    http://cgi.ebay.com/60A-Watecool-Wat...ht_3639wt_1139
    im pleased with the ESC it has a BEC and lipo cut off as well as soft start and other programmable functions.

Turnigy 2900kv brushless motor
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6532
    the Turnigy brushless motor is a little shorter that stock motor but fits well. note: motor sleeve from stock motor is needed to tighten down motor.

Octura Coupler Flex Hex 5mm to .130 Cable
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...oct-ocfhe5mm13

Last edited by medina619; 04-05-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    The Brushless crew!
    Losi Ten SCTE/Team Associated SC10/Axial Exo Terra/Apparition Offshore Brushless

i had this in another thread but thought i should consolidate it to one thread

well i just got back from testing and have some good news and bad.lol I think over all it was a success but adjustments are necessary. The Rio has really good speed id say mid 20's. It does suffer from torque roll but not terrible, i am adjusting trim tabs and adding some self adhesive lead weights to help. i didn't finish testing because i literally ran into a snag.lol Just when i was getting everything under control i ran over a stick and it took out my shaft. i will report back when i get it back in the water.
    Last edited by medina619; 11-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.
    The Brushless crew!
    Losi Ten SCTE/Team Associated SC10/Axial Exo Terra/Apparition Offshore Brushless

I got my boat back together and is ready for round two. I just wanted some recommendations on some props. I want to test different sizes and wanted to take on step down in size. what do you guys suggest i also need help with prop pitch selections.
    The Brushless crew!

Looks like a good set up, looking forward to hearing more as you prop test.
    Couple of questions any reason you went with a 40 length motor instead of a 60 (targeting 2900 kv perhaps?)

Also you went with a B series motor instead of the KD apart from price any particular reason?

I am getting ready to convert my Rio was thinking of a
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6674 or

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6675

Was hoping to run 2S for everyday sport fun but have the ability for 3S if the hull re torque roll etc would take it for calm days

You have made me wonder about the B series motors now.

Peter.

thanks!

I have a KD36 3000kv and Turnigy B36 motor i went with the B36 motor because of the weight difference. The B36 Weight: 170g and the kD36 Weight: 260g its a much bigger motor. my B36 fit well.
    Last edited by medina619; 11-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    The Brushless crew!

Quote Originally Posted by medina619 View Post
    thanks!

I have a KD36 3000kv and Turnigy B36 motors i went with the B36 motor because of the weight difference. the b36 Weight: 170g and the kd36 Weight: 260g irs a much bigger motor. my b36 fit well.
    Hadn't thought of the weight issue. Have you tried your B36 on 3S, I'm thinking 2s would be the best for everyday fun.?

I believe the torque would be less in this B36 motor vs the KD36 which in the Rio hull is probably a good thing. Guessing, because I cannot find the specs but the B36 should be close to the Proboat 2900 kv in size and performance and that motor costs almost 3x as much, the B36 is perhaps a poor mans equivalent.

Peter
    Last edited by CaptPJB; 11-26-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

Here are the specs on the B36 Turnigy motor. If you want to go 3s id go with a lower KV something around 2000Kv. It might even be a better choice just because theoretically a lower KV motor on a 3S lipo should generate less heat.

TURNIGY brushless Inrunner

Spec.
    Kv: 2900rpm/v
    Power: 375W
    Turns: 7
    Resistance: 21
    Idle Current: 2.5
    Esc: 45
    Battery Config: 3-4S
    Length: 42mm
    Width: 36mm
    Shaft: 5mm
    Weight: 170g
    Last edited by medina619; 11-26-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    The Brushless crew!

Default 2S

Thanks but I was just curious on the 3S. My thinking is a 2S setup for the Rio is where I want to be with this hull. Looking to make the Rio a 20 plus mph reliable fun boat.

yea me too. as soon as i get it back in the water ill try to take some video.
    The Brushless crew!

got back from running it @ Otay lakes and the boat runs great! still a little torque roll but nothing that is not manageable. didn't have someone with me to take video but i will get something up soon.

i added an 1 ounce of stick on weight on the rear of the boat under the lip near the rudder. also i know the water is really cold right now but i didn't even run into any heat problems what so ever.
    The Brushless crew!

here is a video, its not very good quality but it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vdVx55etys
    The Brushless crew!

Default Good Work

Looks really good and a decent speed for this hull. Is this on your B36 42mm motor as shown in the photo's, was it on 2s or 3s and with what prop?

Looks like you have nailed the "reliable Rio fun boat speed combo" , might just have to copy your set up on mine.

Peter
    Last edited by CaptPJB; 12-02-2010 at 05:19 PM.

yea its B36 42mm,this is on 2s with the stock prop.

i want to get a 40mm prop but cant seem to find one or im looking in wrong section. i need some ones help please.
    Last edited by medina619; 12-02-2010 at 06:25 PM.
    The Brushless crew!

Quote Originally Posted by medina619 View Post
    yea its B36 42mm,this is on 2s with the stock prop.

i want to get a 40mm prop but cant seem to find one or im looking in wrong section. i need some ones help please.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tunnelvision
    40mm sounds to be a bit better but I like more mph's. Where did you get yours? I think I'll give it a go. I usually run it with my 7 cell nimh, save my lipo's (5000mah 25C) for my Supervee. Definitely, want to run it a little longer.

Curious how it stands up to a stocker with the same battery. I really need a GPS to get a better grasp on mods.

Rob
    You can get the props here at OSE or Kintec but you will need to order K & S tubing to sleeve the shaft. Very easy to do see prop hints here on OSE Tips and info. Agree I would like a GPS to accurately tell speed I need to search out a small lite weight one maybe another reader can give us a suggestion?

It will be the weekend I think at earliest before I can run the 40mm Rio S600 against the stock one'

Peter

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...led+Propellers

Hi guys. I need a REAL collet for my dad's stock Rio. No I aint gone convert it to brushless....but the stock one messed up the flexshaft....by the crappy two grubscrew design...please help....lots of choices on here....don't know which one to get for the stock setup......

Thanks!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by res3567 View Post
    Hi guys. I need a REAL collet for my dad's stock Rio. No I aint gone convert it to brushless....but the stock one messed up the flexshaft....by the crappy two grubscrew design...please help....lots of choices on here....don't know which one to get for the stock setup......

Thanks!

Rob
    this should work

3mm to .130
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=ose-str-ci

or check here

http://kintecracing.com/RIO_EP.html
    Last edited by medina619; 12-10-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    The Brushless crew!