Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About to give up

Just realized how ot we were getting, whoops. This is why the hpr needs its own thread! Lol

Heck, look how old my fe30 thread is with no activity. That will change soon though, just about got everything I need for it.
    Catching Air!

Sorry about your finger bud. Those set screw suck, that's why the motor I sold your still had the set screw in it. That thing was JB welded lol. Wish I would have known about the heating up thing prior. O well. Heel up fast bud, I haven't cracked my hatch (yet) but today might be the day so im gonna need one
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet
    "It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves"

Default Kudos to Boomer!!!!

I took the motor I got from Deisel and used my heat gun on the coupler. After a few seconds of "high heat" the set screw backed right out. Thanks Boomer!

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    I took the motor I got from Deisel and used my heat gun on the coupler. After a few seconds of "high heat" the set screw backed right out. Thanks Boomer!
    Now you guys tell me the secerts
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Diesel,
    This is amazing! I found something you didn't know. Wow. You are the "shell" answer man in my book! Better late than never, right?
    Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Diesel,
    This is amazing! I found something you didn't know. Wow. You are the "shell" answer man in my book! Better late than never, right?
    Boomer
    It isn't a good day unless you learin something new!!! Good information buddy... Better late then never, but never late is better.....lol that's from a song...

If I'm the answer man in your book your gonna need a bigger book, cuz i ain't the sharpest prop in the box
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

Wow, completely missed this. Sorry to hear T, I know exactly how that finger feels... Takes a bit to heal.

Hope you heel up well and fast.

Sorry about the timing of my PM yesterday.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    Wow, completely missed this. Sorry to hear T, I know exactly how that finger feels... Takes a bit to heal.

Hope you heel up well and fast.

Sorry about the timing of my PM yesterday.
    No worries Ben. Yeah, itll take a little bit but Im still tinkering. Falling behind on my glass work though...

hey boomer what secrets ya got for a stripped set screw in my boat? lol.....was going to send it to scott but now thats out
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

i loked at the ose couplers page ...which one do i need anyway?

5mm to .150. Long or short would work. Short may be better in the Geico. I ordered one of each yesterday. whichever one I dont use in the Geico is going in another boat to replace a china cheapo one.

Talking Set screw stripped = bad

Ok, is it stripped and stuck on the shaft? I am assuming it is, because that is when crap happens. Is it on the flex shaft side or the motor side.
    If it is the motor side, pull the motor out of the boat. If it on the flex shaft side, more care has to be taken.

If you want to save the coupling drill it out, with great care. It might be a good idea to have someone who knows the difference between a finger and a coulping do the drilling

Most of us have had to do this at least once in our lives. The trick is to use the right size drill and to holding it very straight. Those holes are generally 3MM so with the next size being 4MM, so drill size is important.

Once you drill it out, unless you have taps, I'd junk it! They are not all that expensive. If you have all the tools, you can re-thread it to 4 or 5MM and get a new set screw of that size and you are back in business.

The one I had the most trouble with was on my then new Motor Life Boat, I was trying to remove the prop shafts to lubricate them, but the blessed set screw was struck in the coulping to the point that I had to use my Dremel with a diamond cutting disk, to cut a slice into the coupling, down to the motor shaft. I was not aware of the heating the coupling trick yet.

Proboat sent me a replacement out of the kindness of their hearts.
    But the best thing was leaning how to get the darned loctite to release with heat.

I use my soldering gun tip to heat the couplings and so far it has worked every time.

Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    If you want to save the coupling drill it out, with great care. It might be a good idea to have someone who knows the difference between a finger and a coulping do the drilling
    LOL!
    Catching Air!

thanks man....i do know the difference between a finger and a drill bit but thats not saying much for my drilling skills lol....havent gone through a finger yet but sure have stuck a few lol.....

Damn thats harsh...

Ron, cut it w/ a cutting wheel on a dremel as Boomer also suggests. They are not worth the time to drill out. Just get an Octura from OSE. Just keep cutting into it looking for the bottom of the screw and trying not to knick into the shaft. Use a vice. I only recommend drilling through a finger if you have nothing to do the next day. Also, be sure there is oil and metal shavings on the bit before doing so. It makes it feel much nicer, goes in cleaner w/ out friction and the metal can make your finger magnetic. No more struggling w/ hard to reach bolts

but if my finger is magnetic ill have to get a full body pat down at the airport when i want to fly.....dam...ill do it...most action id get in months....maybe ill request a full body scan also....man this is livin

I never went through my own finger, but I did go pretty deep threw a friends hand does that count for anything...
    - Diesel's Youtube
    - Diesel's Fleet

u win !!!!! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12