Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to give up

Default About to give up

Was posting this in the "what works for me" thread, but figured I better just start from scratch. If you were following my posts there, some of this will make a lot more sense.......

Well, The mold for the hatch still needs all the prep work done and I wanted to run the boat TODAY. So, I mixed up a quick batch of polyester resin and began repairing. First I CA'd all I could back together, then layed up the inside with 3/4oz mat got and couple runs in, however, not w/ out some issues. First run was flawless. Boat ran exceptionally well. There were times ther was no breeze or ripples and she is running as tru and flat as can be. I brought it in and "almost" had mishap #1 (my fault). I picked the boat out of the water and carried it to the house. Set it on the bench and the prop fell off. I used stub shaft from another boat so I could get it back in the water after the cable situation. After a 445 hub, there is barely enough room for a stock, non locking nut to go on. I shouda used loc-tite, but I didnt. Fortunately it came home this time and now its "loc'd" on. So second run, boat goes 50 feet and stops and winds out like a slipped, shaft, broken shaft or could I have just thrown the prop anyway? I fished her in and found that the stub shaft seized in the strut. Greased shaft had 1, 3.5 min run on it. So, to the house I go. I was able to finesse the shaft out and saw it was looking very burnt where it rides the bushings. I worked on it a bit, sanded the shaft w/ 1000 grit, lubed and oiled it, put it all back together and it seemed it spun more free than it did new. So, I buttoned her up and off I went. Hit the throttle and the shaft spins in the coupler. I put it as tight as usual, but I guess since it slipped, thats no longer acceptable. So, tighter it went. I ran it for a couple minutes but you could hear and tell it was slipping now and again and finally slipped a bunch. So to the bench again.. heres where it gets interesting. Set scew in the coupler might as well had been installed at Firestone w/ a 150 ft/lb air wrench. I broke a craftsman wrench trying to undo it, then shortly there after stripped the set screw... SERIOUSLY???? So I began to drill it out..... Bits kinda dull, Ive got a new one in the garage, bit cathes hard while drilling, coulper (which is still installed in boat on motor that I am hold ing in my left hand) rolls towards my finger and I put a brand new 1/8 drill bit in one side of my finger at the first bend, finger print side, and out the other, just in front of my nail. Thats about a 1" travel thru meat. Then the bit stuck out about 3/16 out of my finger. I didnt realize it went thru until I tried to pull my finger back and look at it and the drill, still in my right hand, came with it. Theres blood all over my boat, my bench, my carpet now in my hobby room and down the hall, across the living room and into the kitchen. ER visit cost more than the damn boat did, my trigger finger is now wrapped, splinted, and hurts like hell and worst of all, my boat is STILL broken. Im beginning to hate my MG. Not really.. just the experiences its causing. PB hit the nail on the head w/ the design of the hull and most of the hardware... but thats about it. Quality of mine put together was far from what my BJ26 was. I re-epoxied most of the things in the hull. A battery tray was almost out before I even put the first battery in it. The lid as we all know is horrible, the flex is junk, and seriously, who puts a coupler on a motor so it wont come off? And will break a wrench trying... Shes great when she runs, but Im thinking I shouda just bought another Genesis.. same amount of work.

EDIT: and, its a pita typing w/ out your left index finger.....
    Last edited by tiqueman; 11-22-2010 at 01:21 AM.

I'm so sorry to hear...

Get well soon!

scott .....darn man u pulled a ron there dude.....sorry to hear it.....been there and done that but usually with a scribe or a xeacto knife....i even cut my thumb on a sharpened prop the other day putting the boat in the truck lol....my advise is dont get old ...it happens more as u get old and feble like me ......walk it off!!!!!...
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Default Ouch! Yikes, that hurt me just reading about it!

Dude! What can I say? Bad day for sure! Here is a tip for you, on any Proboat couplings, you need to heat up the coupling with the tip of your soldering iron before trying to remove the set screws. They use some form of loctite on the set screws that is more like welding things together. They also use lower quality steel in their set screws, instead of SS, so they will rust!

When I got my first Proboat, I had to cut into the coupling the get the darn thing off. I called Proboat to ask them "what the are they thinking. They suggested heating the couplings first , which should be published some where in there literature. It works for me, so now I just heat them up before trying to remove the set screws.

Kintec Racing and I would image, OSE sell higher quality bushings for Miss Gs.
    Go to Kintec Racing under Miss Geico upgrades and look for "Removable Replacement Bushing -you might want to change it out for one that can be greased."

Sorry I bring you this information a bit late.

Hope your finger heals quickly and the pain goes away soon.
    Boomer

Damn Tique sounds like you have my luck bro. You need to heal up and make some MG hatches. Even mine cracked in the corners when I blew it over this weekend.
    FE BOATING: Less like a hobby and more like an addiction!

I'm all set with PB rubbish...

Default Replacement hatch update

I spoke with Rich today regarding the status of his replace hatch. He almost ready to go, but is working on a few custom features he will be offering to enhance the appearance of our boats.

He feels he is going be able to match the color but advised that not all Geicos are the same color. He has two at his shop and there is a slight difference in the two boats color. Albeit slight, it is logical that boat color will vary from batch to batch.

From what he is telling me, his replacement hatches will be very cool. He will let me know more after Thanksgiving.

Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Dude! What can I say? Bad day for sure! Here is a tip for you, on any Proboat couplings, you need to heat up the coupling with the tip of your soldering iron before trying to remove the set screws. They use some form of loctite on the set screws that is more like welding things together. They also use lower quality steel in their set screws, instead of SS, so they will rust!

When I got my first Proboat, I had to cut into the coupling the get the darn thing off. I called Proboat to ask them "what the are they thinking. They suggested heating the couplings first , which should be published some where in there literature. It works for me, so now I just heat them up before trying to remove the set screws.

Kintec Racing and I would image, OSE sell higher quality bushings for Miss Gs.
    Go to Kintec Racing under Miss Geico upgrades and look for "Removable Replacement Bushing -you might want to change it out for one that can be greased."

Sorry I bring you this information a bit late.

Hope your finger heals quickly and the pain goes away soon.
    Boomer

Thanks Boom. I was actually at the LHS last week and picked up a few packages of Aeromarine teflon bushings. I always like to have a few on hand. I used a set in the PB strut. My OSE order arrived today so I was able to make a new shaft so I could put the currently used stub back in the boat I stole it from after my PB stocker was about in two after 5 runs. I ended up using a cut off wheel on the dremel tonight and went at the set screw to get the coulper off. While at it I also removed the motor mount and used a round file to extend the motor bolt holes upwards so the motor would actually line up w/ the shaft. It was about 1/32 too low. Had I known, I would have ordered a couple 5mm to .150 couplers just to have on stock and replace some of my "china" ones, but I didnt even think about it. Guess I will have to rob a boat again until I can get some.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat26 View Post
    Damn Tique sounds like you have my luck bro. You need to heal up and make some MG hatches. Even mine cracked in the corners when I blew it over this weekend.
    They will be ready next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I spoke with Rich today regarding the status of his replace hatch. He almost ready to go, but is working on a few custom features he will be offering to enhance the appearance of our boats.

He feels he is going be able to match the color but advised that not all Geicos are the same color. He has two at his shop and there is a slight difference in the two boats color. Albeit slight, it is logical that boat color will vary from batch to batch.

From what he is telling me, his replacement hatches will be very cool. He will let me know more after Thanksgiving.

Boomer
    Boomer Boomer Boomer.. how you gunna plug someones elses hatches on my thread when im making them? Your price just went up

Scott, I thought you had posted you weren't gonna make them due to issues with the color match. Sucks about all the badluck!

Btw, I noticed in black cats thread you posted about working on one of your twins. You been fooling with one of the hprs?
    Catching Air!

Talking ops

tiqueman
    I am sorry! I didn't realize you guys were competing with each other. I have no stake in this other than reporting any updates that come to me. Not promoting just reporting the news.

Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    Scott, I thought you had posted you weren't gonna make them due to issues with the color match. Sucks about all the badluck!

Btw, I noticed in black cats thread you posted about working on one of your twins. You been fooling with one of the hprs?
    Nah Im still making them, just not as quickly as I originally planned b/c of color issues. Plus it sounded as if Richs were going to be out like a week ago. So I stalled to see what he was doing so we dont offer the same thing. I put the whole thing on the back burner until I broke mine. Now its moving its way forward.

HPR.. and got my HOTR back in the water yesterday... dam that boat is cool!

LOL no sweat at all Boom, just pokn your ribs man! Im anxtious to see his. Ive made some subtle changes to mine and just wanna see what he came up with. I talked to him last week. Hes makin some different scoop options which is way cool. I removed the side scoops off mine for one of the molds so hopefully his "cooler" looking scoops could be installed. Im not looking at this one really as competition, but different options from different enthusiasts. I heard he makes a good product. I cant wait to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by tiqueman View Post
    Nah Im still making them, just not as quickly as I originally planned b/c of color issues. Plus it sounded as if Richs were going to be out like a week ago. So I stalled to see what he was doing so we dont offer the same thing. I put the whole thing on the back burner until I broke mine. Now its moving its way forward.

HPR.. and got my HOTR back in the water yesterday... dam that boat is cool!
    Sweet! Which hpr? You need to add more pics of them to your albums! Did I tell ya my 115 and hw made it in? I'm pumped.
    Catching Air!

115 man!!!!! Only thing I do not have is the Hydraulic fakes. I plan on ordering them in the next couple weeks. Everything is hanging loose of the transom now its not all ligned up and tru, but you get the idea....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome! They are good looking boats! Did you have the hw annodized? Also, how did you break that drive down?
    Catching Air!

Holy sheet! That thing is bad azz bro! I'm jealous.

Awesome! They are good looking boats! Did you have the hw annodized? Also, how did you break that drive down?
    They came that way. The boat, if I have the story correct, was purchased by someone on the other side of the pond. Im not sure if he anodized it like that or if HPR did it for him. Then a friend of mine bought it. He sat on it for a while and never touched it, so I bought it from him and started puting it together... although... Ive had it about a year now.

Drive, hit it w/ a hammer. No, unscrew the piece at the beggining of the stinger where it goes into the angle adjustment block. It will all come apart.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat26 View Post
    Holy sheet! That thing is bad azz bro! I'm jealous.
    Im not screwin around anymore

No doubt. Looks like you are getting serious too!

Awesome man. I wasn't aware the transom end of the stinger was 2 pieces. I hope you are gonna get some good pics of build progress. I've seen a few different techniques for mounting that hardware. Would love to see how you are getting the job done.
    Catching Air!

Yeah this ones gunna be super cool. Thats really why Im not spazzin to do a Geico twin. Not saying its not going to happen, just not now.

Awesome man. I wasn't aware the transom end of the stinger was 2 pieces. I hope you are gonna get some good pics of build progress. I've seen a few different techniques for mounting that hardware. Would love to see how you are getting the job done.
    Im not going to post it up until its done. I have been taking pics along the way though. Kinda just doin this one on my own, keeping it on the DL and not getting anyones hopes up incase I have to put it on pause again. I dont think I will though.. I have everything to finish it but the rams. And they can go on later. Castles sale made it happen for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you going 1518? I have a pair sitting in my closet I was thinking about using. Yay castle. Haha
    Catching Air!

Are you going 1518? I have a pair sitting in my closet I was thinking about using. Yay castle. Haha
    1520s, 1600KV on 6S

Gotcha. I was thinking 1518 on 5s. I've seen people running neu 1521 1.5d in this hull and the 44 inch MHz mystic. Was thinking maybe the 1518 would substitute ok.
    Catching Air!

I dont hink you will have any problems at all with it. I originally stalled my build b/c I was going to go el chepo and put Feigao 10Xls on it on 6S like I did in my HOTR. When it came to it, I couldnt do it.. it cried for better power plants.

Dude I just read the first post...Sorry that happened. Hope it heals well. The boat looks nice. Me likey....But seriously, get well and take care of that finger.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

Thanks Dom, I will. I worked on the MG this evening and bumped it a few time. Lit me up! Its my trigger finger, hopefully it wont be so sensitive Sunday. I got racin to do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast