Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Az Winter Warmups VII Feb 25th-27th

Hey Dave,
    I sent you a e-mail with some questions about LSH.

Thanks,
    Ted

Got it. Answered. Doug-come out now. You've got a place to stay through Thursday.

We've had a few weather systems roll through town and scattered rain is on again/off again/on again for the weekend.

I've got shelter for those flying in. For those driving, throw and easy up in the trailer/vehicle!

You could get these guys to put the event on the web. They covered the Florida race and it was very cool...

http://www.metimeliverc.com/
    Support US hobby suppliers

Have a safe trip out, guys!

Please be advised that parking on the grass is allowed for loading and unloading only. Vehicles must be immediately moved to the parking lot.

Trailers can stay on the grass for the entire event.

Boy do I wish that I was able to take a mini vacation out there for this. Hopefully next year. Good luck to all, but more luck to team WI/MN.

Thanks Sean!

I'll try to stay out of Doug's way!

Default WW7 Results

Here's the results the WW7 race:

Winter Warmups 7

P – Offshore
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Pete Wijatyk
    3. Dan Proulx

P – Sport Hydro
    1. Sean Cordova
    2. Dave Newland
    3. Pete Wijatyk

P – Limited Hydro
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Paul Weingarner
    3. Dan Proulx

P – Limited Offshore
    1. Paul Weingarner
    2. Doug Peterson
    3. Dave Newland

P – Limited OPC
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Howard Tucker
    3. Dick Roberts

1/6th Scale Crackerbox
    1. Chuck Alarid
    2. Dick Roberts
    3. Tim Schaubroek

Limited Sport Hydro
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Dan Proulx
    3. Howard Tucker

1/10th Scale Hydro
    1. Paul Weingarner
    2. Rod Sanata
    3. Chuck Alarid

P – Mono
    1. Dave Newland
    2. Pete Wijatyk
    3. Dan Proulx

High Points Champion: Dave Newland
    Concourse: 1) Gary Rose 2) Rod Sanata 3) Rod Sanata
    Mr. Consistency: Doug Peterson…. the highest percentage of DNF’s.
    Mr. Amps: Doug Peterson…. the most chargers in operation.
    Mr. Carnage: Pete Wijatyk…. the most spectacular wreck.
    Mr. EPA: Sean Cordova…. the best display of Magic Smoke.

Thanks for the results Pat.

Now where are the pics? LOL!

Congrats to all!

Are we going to get a write up on the event?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Thanks for the results Pat.

Now where are the pics? LOL!
    Working on the pics, Alan, but its just not gonna be the same without your smilin' kisser in the lineup.......

Great job guys....

Mr. Carnage & Mr. EPA LOL i like it.

JAson Sims

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
    Working on the pics, Alan, but its just not gonna be the same without your smilin' kisser in the lineup.......
    Thanks Pat, I miss your cheery smile too. Sorry, but someone had to stay home and milk the cows.

My notes:

Boy, did we luck out with the weather. Fri/Sat were perfect, with a storm hitting Saturday night and early into the AM on Sunday. The temp dropped as we had a quick rain/sleet event mid-morning, but then the sun came out for the rest of the day to close out our event.

It's always great to have our staple racers join us (Dan, Doug and Tony!), and it was fantastic to have a lare contingent of Colorado guys attend this year! Right when gas prices were going through the roof, too.

Friday had 3 classes run in the afternoon. P-Offshore, P-Sport Hydro and P-Ltd Hydro.

P-Offshore. I think we all had a DNF in there. It's just another example that speed isn't really what you're looking for in a good offshore boat. Well, sprint racing, too! The course is tight, so you had to be on your game to get around the course. Peterson gets the most improved award for this class as he just put together a Titan 40 and he kept making adjustments throughout the heats, and really had that thing singing by the 3rd round. I still run a Titan 40, Pete runs a Cyberstorm and Dan an Aeromarine 31 (I think...).

P-Sport Hydro: Another Insane/Whip battle, and the Whip got this one, driven by Sean Cordova! I was running an old 8XL in my Insane against his 1521 1.5D and the boats were matched up very well. but heat 3 I found his (or another boats) rooster. Tony was also hanging in there with his Insane, working on his race finish percentage.

P-Ltd Hydro: A little bit of carnage in this class. Howard broke his booms in a collision, I DQ'd in the 3rd heat after ramping right off of Dick's dead boat (fortunately, minor damage to both), but all boats were very well matched. I run a custom built rigger by Justin Hill, Paul runs a JAE, and Proulx a Raptor.

Sat/Sun we ran the same classes both days, for 6 rounds total.

P-Ltd Offshore. Peterson was coming into this class by just missing out on a Nat's win in Greeley, and Paul had something to prove to everybody. And that he did. 6 rounds without a DNF, he had his Cyberstorm moving and he bested everybody by 8+ laps after the event was over. He had the fastest boat and the setup and driving skill to bring home the win. Dan's going to retire his OM 29. It's been raced hard and held up well, but the 'ol girl is just plain worn out.

1/6th Crackerbox had some nice running boats, especially Chuck's, Rod's (Concours finalist boat) and Dick's. 1 heat had a photo finish with Rod and Dick, with Rod getting the win! Chuck pulled out the overall win in that class.

P-Ltd OPC. Wow. It's really cool to see so many manufacturers represented in OPC. VS-1's are still in there, Mike's new 29.5, Cobras, Villian and Woodstuff. Pat ended up not running, or his Lynx would have been out there as well.

1st heat with Pete driving a brand spanking new 29.5 ML Boatworks against my Cobra. I get the start and inside line, but after turn 2, Pete hit the throttle and it passed my like I was standing still. You could hear chairs tipping over in the pits as people stood up to see what just happened. I was pissed as my Purple Passion Cobra doesn't lose. Well, I lost. By something like 12 seconds. Ouch. Unfortunately, Pete's boat hit Peterson's in the 2nd round, causing a DQ and a torn out transom. He was able to repair it for Sunday, but mechanical issues compounded and continued to hurt his results. It's hard to pull off a good showing w/a new/barely tested hull, but Pete's 1st heat was eye-opening to many, many people.

LSH. More Whip Vs Insane Vs Phil Thomas action (old and new designs). Peterson locked down 3 1st place wins on Saturday with a boat that is top notch. Fast. Dang it, another Whip domination? I mean, we had 5 or 6 Insanes there, 2 Whips and 3 Phil Thomas boats, so you'd think the other manufacturers would have a fighting chance. Well, Sunday proved that Doug should have just gone to bed at 9:00 Saturday evening. He suffered a rooster blow over 1st round on Sunday, and troubles compounded from there. I locked down some good finishes (5 1st's and a 2nd...to Peterson) for the win w/my Insane, Proulx was right there with his new verion Phil Thomas and Howard was also right in there with an old Phil Thomas hull. Tino tried to give me/us the business in the last heat by knowingly overpropping his boat. The end result? 3rd in the heat...and a broken motor that wouldn't get his boat out of the infield and back to shore. Play the music..."WAAA WAAA waaaa!!!".

The 1/10th scales were running very well, with Gary Rose actually fielding 2 boats with Paul driving the other one. Leonard Feeback has a beautiful running hull and he quickly started accumulating heat points. But, Paul was giving him a run for his money! All of these boats were beautiful and driven well, with the only carnage coming from Ted's boat that blew a driveline.

P Mono continues to be a very fun class to watch. Howard kept dialing in his Cyberstorm and wanted to go another 6 rounds! Also, Tony kept working on his driving skills and getting his boats to finish. He did very well in this class. 1st and 2nd go to the local boys! I ran my Titan 40, untouched from it's very successful (but not perfect) run at the Nat's, and Pete runs a Cyberstorm.

Heater Award Winner: Chuck Alarid for his great racing style, friendly demeanor and spot-on pitman skills. He's got a great perspective on this hobby. Oh, he can drive, too!

Thank you to all that joined us for a fun weekend of racing, and to our sponsors for helping us with our event! We have always received strong sponsorship support for our race and it is very much appreciated.

Please visit and support our sponsors that are listed on the OP.
    Last edited by D. Newland; 03-01-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Dave,

Thanks for posting the info you just did. I have been waiting all day to hear from Propperchopper Tony or Pete about the OPC results!! Sounds like it was fun till Pete had the impact! Should be fun running the PS295 in D12 this year. 3 of them are already in the owners hands!

Thanks, Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Great write up Dave! It's almost like I was there instead of plowing snow here in WI.

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    I have been waiting all day to hear from Propperchopper Tony or Pete about the OPC results!! Sounds like it was fun till Pete had the impact!
    Pete said it was so fast that it skeered him resulting in nervous driving errors..... hence the detached transom..... LOL
    The hull appeared to be very fast on smooth to moderate water..... everyone was impressed!

Just got back to L.A. Will have pic's/vids later today. I miss everybody already !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

That's cool. Yeah, the hull loves race water, and it can hang in 5" chop (almost white cap chop!) at around half throttle or so depending on conditions. Its probably about like most other 21 tunnels, but it definitely doesn't spin out or veer side to side like a VS-1 would in those conditions. I am glad the boat made Pete nervous. If your not nervous while racing, you probably should go home cause it means your not enjoying it!!!!! Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Hey Pat its Winegarner....

First of several videos - Pits in Sunshine ! ( wait 'till you see the next one )

Have some racing action; downloading while I'm unpacking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_qRjgZ9rhA
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Cool write up Mr.Newland.
    It's good to see Mr. Fuller still at it!!
    Thanks for the vid Tony.
    Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

WW VII Pits in the Hailstorm. Just a momentary interruption of the racing action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMuhSQcNBs

P-Spec OPC Heat ; Pete's ML 295 shredding up the course to a first place finish !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azvOpD8Q3n4

LSH heat - Mr. Newland takes the finish AND the 2nd Place Class Win with his Insane FE 30 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDENz2nKLyE
    Last edited by properchopper; 02-28-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    Hey Pat its Winegarner....
    Sorry, Paul...at least I got all the letters right..... musta been one of them there freudian slips......

1/10 Scale Hydro heat . These boats are really beautiful and SO scale that the drivers actually fart (37 seconds in on the back straight of the first lap) ; unfortunately the boat sucked in the fumes and quit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOD_9vx8HI

All I can say is we had a great weekend. You guys put on one heck of a time. A first class event. I enjoyed the racing but mostly seeing some old freinds and have made some new ones. Nice to put some more of the faces with names of the folks who this was the first time being able to race together. It was well worth it. I had a blast and am already planning it for next year. THANK YOU FOR A GREAT TRIP. Sorry about the light snow on Sunday morning, I'm sure we brought it with us LOL!!!

HA!!!! Tony, thanks for filming that OPC Heat.

Pete-I knew you didn't do 6 laps!!!! You only did 5!!!!!!!! I'm changing the points.

No wonder your heat time was so damn fast!

No, I'm not changing the points. And, yes, your boat did beat my Purple Passion hands down...for that heat...until you stopped at lap 5.

You know, I didn't know how you guys run out there (If it was IMPBA or NAMBA), I thought I remembered Tony telling me it was a 6 lap race. After watching the video, I thought to myself "Dang, guess they only run 5".

Pete has not PM'ed me any info about his second day racing yet..... Tho I have been patiently waiting...

Do you guys have Pit guys that help the driver count laps and tell the driver which lane to be in to avoid dead boats? Just wondering because a lot of odd things happened from the recaps I have been hearing.

Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast