Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Miss Geico-What Works For Me

Default My mods

THIS IS MY SET UP ON M/G. THOUGHT ID SHARE

DANO
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice now if u could just keep the ice off the pond lol
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Ron,

went out and figured there be ice on edges again but water was clear.....my plans tomorrow are going and running again as long as weather holds out, were suppost to get some snow/ mix but i dunno if its gonna happen, no ice at this time here....may try to shoot a vid saturday if i can talk a buddy to go with me, really pleased with the boat, just still waited on the prop, been 6 days so far.

Oh,

how the heck do ya get your boat pics by your posts??

Default Attaching an Avatar (picture by your name)

Dano,
    You need to go to the upper left hand corner of the page and you will see.
    Welcome, Dano.
    You last visited: Today at 03:31 PM
    Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Select private messages, look to the left hand side of that page where it shows the control panel. Find the heading to "edit avatar", select it and the rest is about the same as posting pictures in a thread.

You will be able to create your own albums, as well and provide any general info about yourself as you feel comfortable listing and you can add friends to your group. Kind of a mini facebook kind of thing.

Boomer

where did you order that 4"rudder from? could you provide me the part number for the Kintec racing offset brkt? not sure what your talking about removing the bottom portion brkt. Is there anyway you could mark on the picture what you did to the kintec brkt or show me what you did in a video?

Not sure what pics, rudder or even who your asking, but heres the version 2 bracket that the bottom is already cut out of. top of this page http://kintecracing.com/Miss_Geico_Upgrades.html
    And the only rudders Ive seen on the last couple pages are the stock Proboat Miss Geico rudders.

Quote Originally Posted by airman66285 View Post
    There has been a ton of information listed here on OSE regarding Proboat's Miss Geico. I wanted to take the time to show what I have done with my set up so that other Miss Geico owners might be able to gain some possible insight. To preface things a bit, I am a sport user, not a racer. I love speed, but not at the price of small scale nuclear explosions. Reliability and enjoyment are of paramount importance when it comes to my FE rigs. Out of the box, Proboat's Miss Geico is a fantastic boat in terms of build quality, performance and ease of operability. Having said that, some things are left to be desired. Namely, the porpoising. By trial and error, I have found that the porpoising is caused by the stock in-line rudder configuration and nothing else. I tried multiple props, COG adjustments, battery placement and what I found was that an offset rudder configuration eliminates the porpoising 100%. I ordered the Kintec Racing offset bracket and it works, except that it introduces a significant amount of drag which I found to be unacceptable. I ended up altering the Kintec design by removing the bottom portion of the bracket as shown in the photo below. This kept the bracket out of the water line and eliminated the drag. I also installed an aftermarket rudder which is 4" in length versus the stock 3.5" rudder. This change brough back the amazing handling that was somewhat lost when I originally offset the rudder in the first place. The next modification I did was to remove the stock power system. Now don't get wrong, the stock PB 1500 motor and ESC are damn near invinceable at 4S but I wanted more speed without having to tweak the heck out of the stock components. This means I didn't want to blueprint the hull. After consulting with Steve at OSE, I chose the Leopard 4074 2000kV motor and Hobbywing Seaking 180 V2 ESC. This duo, combined with a S/B/P Octura x642 prop nets me speeds in the mid-fifties every run. The temps are luke warm at most and that is considering the fact that I have 5.5mm bullet connectors on everything. I am also not using the BEC and have opted to use a 1600mAH NiMH Rx pack instead. My batteries are (2) Zippy Flightmax 5000mAH 2S 40C packs for a total system power of 4S (14.8v). Based on past perfomance baselines, I decided to stick with my trusty Tactic 2.4GHZ Tx/Rx combo because I loathe antennae's. Differrent strokes for different folks there. This system set-up lets me run in the mid-fifties reliably and safely every time I go out and I always come back with a huge smile on my face because I didn't sink the boat or cause any explosions. Thank you to all of you who have posted here because you have given me a lot of valuable information and further enhanced my love of this incredible pastime!
    Did you have to change the flex shaft to a drive shaft for this setup?

Big Lebowski, I think the information you posted will be helpful for others with this boat. I agree with your insight. I ended up looking at the Kintec offset rudder system and made my own system as I saw the problem with drag by looking at the Kintec design. Mine works great and the boat handles great even at over 80mph. Boy, this boat does have a lot of potential.

Man I would love to see the video of a MG going 80mph! Where in NC are you?

2012-05-02_16-59-05_334.jpg2012-05-02_16-59-59_221.jpg
    This is my setup leo 4074 2000kv fits perfect supported the back and used stock mount on front.running it on 4s dont no what prop is best yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TWCFI View Post
    Man I would love to see the video of a MG going 80mph! Where in NC are you?
    I live in Lenoir, NC and here is a video I had my nephew shoot of my boat with my camera. Sorry he didn't know how to use the zoom on the camera so the boat is far away making it appear not to be going as fast as a closer shot would have. The batteries died just before I was going to give it full throttle in this video. I probably got up to 80% throttle here.

That boat looks like it is hooked up really well and very fast. Thank you for the video. :)

Any time TWCFI, I need to get out again and have a better video of the boat where it's not so far away. I also need to hook up my micro cam to her for an on-board ride. Best I can figure, all I need is a cat (6) or better SD card as my micro cam only shoots in high def. You can see some of the videos I shot with the on-board camera and they skip. I'm not happy with that. Those videos were shot with a smaller motor and smaller prop. With even more speed I expect the skipping video issue will be even worse. The SD card I was using doesn't indicate speed although it's an HC card. I think all I need is a faster SD card. If you shoot HD videos have you ever had this experience?

I shoot a bunch of HD videos, but use a GoPro and a Contour camera. I primarily use it on a plane that I teach in but have no issues with skipping. I have used it on an 1/5th scale off road truck with no skipping either.

The Countor GPS camera will provide map overlay and gps readouts with the software downloaded from their website. Works really well. The camera isn't water proof but they do sell a case for it that is. If you are happy with your camera I would first try a faster card.

I hope some of this helps.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by TWCFI View Post
    I shoot a bunch of HD videos, but use a GoPro and a Contour camera. I primarily use it on a plane that I teach in but have no issues with skipping. I have used it on an 1/5th scale off road truck with no skipping either.

The Countor GPS camera will provide map overlay and gps readouts with the software downloaded from their website. Works really well. The camera isn't water proof but they do sell a case for it that is. If you are happy with your camera I would first try a faster card.

I hope some of this helps.

Bob
    I think I'll try a faster card first as it costs less to try. I do think the card is most likely the issue.

Thanks for the help Bob,

Eric

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345