Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video/s of the P1 in action, and my first thread here.

Default Video/s of the P1 in action, and my first thread here.

Hello, my first thread here. I have done a lot of testing with this boat so far, and I am over-all very happy with it. I am also very happy with Venom's support. So far after 40-50 runs I've had two problems. One was with the transmitter (it still worked but was buggy) sent it back, and they sent me a new one right away, and the port trim tab needed to be relocated as it was not flush with the boat. I've also had a few of the glue/resin joints let go, but I am sure that has been from the pretty intense crashes I've had. Flexible CA is "DA BOMB" on these boats, and on marine stuff. A couple drops and it was all good again.
    I hate to post a link to another forum, but I did a pretty intensive write as I went with this boat on RC groups, and I don't want to have to repeat all the info here, so here is the link:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320827

I have been through 3 props so far, and I just got in 3 more from OSE. Hopefully I will have time to work on them, and do some more testing before it gets too cold out. I have a ton of videos on this boat, including a music video I made(music by me, just a live recording while watching the video). The two most impressive are these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjlYFbd1Spg

and a brief 6S run (need to do more testing with props before I go 6S again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyFgJtc2scM

Anthony.
    I think possibly I cannot embed video yet, as this is my first post.

welcome to the board!

great work on the slo mo - what camera are you using? also, I would like to see the same clips of real speed. You captured what offshore models are - amazing!! and the slo mo makes them seem much bigger too.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

The camera is a Casio EX-FH20, those slo-mo clips were shot at 210fps. When shooting at that speed there is no sounds recorded, and the resolution is 420x240.
    The stills were screen grabs from 720p hd video.
    I did do some normal speed recording before I took the slo-mo clips, I won't have a chance to post it till next week. The slo-mo clips, I was running 3S, with a x437/3 prop sharpened by finedesign. That's all you need in those waves.

Antslake, damn good job!

Here ya go........

It seems like the boat wants to roll to the right when the prop leaves the water and is still running, torque? It seems like it is all up to the throttleman when getting big air.

Quote Originally Posted by bwells View Post
    It seems like the boat wants to roll to the right when the prop leaves the water and is still running, torque? It seems like it is all up to the throttleman when getting big air.
    Exactly correct. Its the narrow hull with the torque of the outrunner can causing it to twist. The p-1 becomes out of control in rough water. Its one of my biggest gripes with mine.

have you been running it on 5s stock without any problems?

how do you like the overall performance of the x437 3. most people seem to be running a 2 blade prop on this boat? THANKS!

Ok, to answer all your questions.

1. Boat rolling to the right.
    If you notice in the video, sometimes it will roll to the right, or to the left. By comparison, I think these waves I was in are equivalent to 15 seas, so the boat will roll any way the waves toss it. Yes, there is prop walk, especially with a 3 blade prop, but running on 3S (as I was in the video) there isn't much prop walk at all. On 3S with that prop, the boat can go 23mph, plenty fast for those waves.
    I do look ahead though (from years of racing RC cars, and flying) and try to hit the waves right. I also sometimes let off the throttle a little, but it all happens so fast in real time, it's kind of hard to keep up with it. I hit about 2-3 waves per second, that leaves .3-.5 seconds for reaction.

2. 5S.
    I ran the boat on 5S with that prop, and it got a little hot. I peaked around 88 amps. Remember the boat is rated for 60 amps. I was drawing a constant 70 amps at WOT. I only have one other prop a Y536, and it was my first attempt at shaping/polishing. It's all balanced correctly, but I may have messed up the face a little, so I don't think it's running correctly. I just bought 3 more props, X432, 435, 438, but my time this month is limited. Going to be traveling a lot, and the weather isn't getting any warmer. Right now the Y536 draws more amps than the X437/3 and goes slower, so not sure about it. More testing to come.

3. 2blade vs 3 blade.
    AS stated, I only have the two props, and as far as handling goes, the 2 blade handles way better, has less prop walk. The 3 blade has more lift, but I am still tuning the boat (the tabs) and I haven't put any turn fins on yet. The 3 blade is also way better out of the hole, and better in the waves on 3S.

Forescott, do you run the port tab lower than the starboard tab?
    Jamespl, don't run that plastic prop anything over 4S. (IMO)

I dont use the trim tabs at all. They are both set at neutral.

That is the best RC boat video I have ever seen. Great Job!
    Last edited by JEDNJONES; 11-13-2010 at 07:23 AM.
    Fountain KOS P1, Formula Fastech, 37 Fightercat Daytona CF twin
    Pulled by Slash 4x4 tow vehical

Thanks Jed! Quite the compliment :)

Forescott, do you have videos of yours running? I am curious. I have both tabs down, other wise it will just drive itself out of the water with a 3 balde prop. The two blade doesn't do that. But even with the 2 blade, the boat drives "heavy" on the starboard side due to prop torque, so I offset it with the tab.

just one......

What prop is that one Scott?

I noticed with my 2 blade, I didn't need any tab, but the 3 blade I did. Especially in the chop, any help to get the bow in the air, the thing will just fly out of that water.

Its the octura x442.

Do you know your amp draw on 4S?

I also think my flex cable may have a limited life. I noticed it's bent in between the motor and the stuffing tube. I don't think that was completely lined up from the factory.

Yes, I agree also. That is the best true offshore RC I have seen. (King of shaves).

Quote Originally Posted by antslake View Post
    Do you know your amp draw on 4S?

I also think my flex cable may have a limited life. I noticed it's bent in between the motor and the stuffing tube. I don't think that was completely lined up from the factory.
    I'm not sure of the amp draw. I don't have a data logger. And my motor/stuffing tube alignment was horrible from the factory. I ended up grinding away at the bottom of the motor mount and even bending the little "L" brackets to line it up better. It's still not perfect, but much better.

Man, this boat looks great! Awesome videos too. I checked out your RC Groups link and there is some good stuff there too, as well as in this thread. If you don't mind, can you tell us what prop worked best with what voltage? That would be awesome.

Like all boat it seems to have its bugs but I already made up my mind and asked the wife for 1, for X-mas. She approved since I have a $60 off coupon from Tower, $289 shipped. I have plenty of Turnigy 5000 MAH LiPos too and I think to start 4S will be enough for the "small" pond near me.

The octura x640 seems to be the best all around prop for top speed/optimum handling and stinger adjustability.

I haven't tried that prop yet. I have a few more props to try, but was traveling a lot, and no time to sharpen them. Hopefully before the ice comes, I will get to it. The x640 is on my list. But that prop would probably only be good for 4s. I will be testing for 5, and 6S. My goal is to hit 50mph with the stock motor and speed control @60amps.

Your gonna have to run an m645 to get that kinda speed. That 45mm prop is too big and will hit the rudder linkage without adjusting the stinger way down which in turn will give you a nose down attitude and scrub speed. If the 60 amp esc doesn't burn up first from too much prop. Good luck though!

I was going the other way, down in size to reduce amps and bring up rpm's. I think it might just be a matter of prop work, but 6S and the right prop might do it. The 60 amp goal may be unrealistic, could turn out to be 70 or 80 amps. I was told the motor would blow up before the speed control. I've peaked the speed control at 88amps already on one short run. I think I've had it up to 47-48 mph already. It's not the way I would run it all the time, just a goal to hit. Most likely I will stay around 4S and 40-44mph.

Why don't you do what I have done and get a turnigy H2136 motor in place of the stock one, this motor is good for 2-6 cells and should turn a bigger prop but as said you are limited by the hardware. I ran mine on 5s with a 90a esc and x640 prop and it was very fast, only had nod run as it's freezing in the uk at the mo. I have the 1600kv version but fightercat does the 2200kv and it's a straight swap motor.

How fast exactly? I am using eagle tree to find out actual speeds. I can't see spending money, and taking out what is already good, just for a couple mph.

I don't knw how fast exactly but from running 4s and x640 to the turnigy motor and 5s there is a deffo speed improvement. But at $20 from hobbyking u can't go wrong. I wish I had a vid for u.

I recorded with the stock setup and x437/3 prop, going from 4s to 5s went from 38 to 44mph. But I was drawing 70 amps on 5s. 60 amps on 4s.

That's why I recommended the turnigy motor, my esc died cos I got it wet so replaced it with a seaking 90a so both motor and esc are good for upto 6s. I would say the turnigy will be about as fast as the stock motor on 5s but it can handle it, venom only recommend 3s for that boat.

Venom recommends up to 6s. I was working with there r and d guy about it. I have run it on 6s already, but I have the wrong prop on there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast