Thread: Scale Scarab Sport build......

Default Scale Scarab Sport build......

OK I think I'm nearing completion of this build. For those of you that didn't follow the original thread here it is. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=18711

Just some minor details to be done like a steering wheel and throttles. Not sure if I am going to duplicate the upholstery and add more lighting. I don't want to add more weight and complications. She runs super sweet.

Now some final pictures.

The real boat once again...

The scale build...

Continued....

Thanks to all you guys that offered advise and input, it helped a lot.

I'm still playing with props on this boat. I have two sets which are pretty much the same with exception of 4mm in diameter. I really can't tell the difference in speed but I would like the ones that are easier on the batteries, gears and motors.

Not sure if lower RPMs and higher load is better than higher RPMs and lower load.

once again, incredible build! I would vote for the higher rpm and lower load - less wear on the gears in the end.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Amazing build Chris. The attention to detail is very impressive. I love the outboards, they look perfect and with the brushless motors it seems like a blast to run. Great work and thanks for sharing with us. Giving me inspiration for that winter project.
    Tom

well done sir! can i ask where you get the outboard motor covers?

Well come on Tom. I can't wait to get these hulls built and running. I've already started a shopping list.
    Hope ours come out as nice as yours Chris.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have looked high and low for an RC center console with outboards. None out there at all so I had to build my own.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    well done sir! can i ask where you get the outboard motor covers?
    The motors are Aquacraft EP1s. I just painted them and put some decals on them.

Well done Sir!

All the best,

Ray

Dont tweak it any more.................its perfect...................oh..........just needs a steering wheel

i agree, a steering wheel and railing on the front and you are spot on... does it have a port-a-poty under the console? if not you may want to add that too....
    nice job...

Yeah, a small rail around the front........you can fab one of those easily with your abilities.

Port-a-pottie? Not in the console. It used to be in the cabin but the first time I got pee on my hands trying to empty it that was the end of that. Now there is a true marine electric head in the cabin along with air conditioning.

Though a scale toilet and AC unit might weigh the model down a bit. LOL

i run big boats (65 ft) but i remember when i was in Fla last year seeing some of the center consoles with port-a-potys in the closet under the wheel.
    this boat has me thinking scale though. we have a 42ft scarab excalibur with super charged 502's and arnesen surface drives that i have been thinking about replicating. i just dont think i can stick to the scale speed. it does around 70mph so my 12th scale (42") would only go 6 mph. no fun there!!

Build the boat to scale but forget the scale speed. With how fast my 12th scale Scarab goes the real one would have to go 300+ MPH to make the model scale in speed.

You can drive the model as fast or as slow as you want. You should see the looks I get when I cruise the scale Scarab past the people hanging out on their boats at the park at scale speed. The reaction is "ha look at that" but then when I stab it and the boat leaps out of the water I hear them say "HOLY SH!T". LOL

Took some onboard video and posted it in the video section.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=20001

Wow! Absolutely beautiful model. It looks so real. Congratulations on such a cool build!!

Stay tuned.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scale speed is the square of the scale factor, so for your 1:12 models it is 3.464. A 70mph full size cruise will look right at about 20mph, still not much fun to be had there, but much better than you thought.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Scale speed is the square of the scale factor, so for your 1:12 models it is 3.464. A 70mph full size cruise will look right at about 20mph, still not much fun to be had there, but much better than you thought.
    Yes I have seen that equation before. But nobody builds a scale (go-fast) boat and says to themselves...."I have to make sure this thing only goes 15 MPH"...LOL
    That scale Scarab hit about 30 actual MPH (slightly faster without the deck and arch assembly in place) with those Aquacraft EP1 outboards....which were converted to brushless.

I have a feeling the boat will be much faster with what is going on the transom next.

It's still a scale build.....until I punch the throttles. LOL

This is such a nice build. Next?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
    Port-a-pottie? Not in the console. It used to be in the cabin but the first time I got pee on my hands trying to empty it that was the end of that.
    Reminds me of what a good friend of mine says about the porta-potty in his boat and when someone asks if they can use it, "That's not mine, it belongs to the next owner, so we're keeping it clean for him."

Toilets aside, center console boats are just great looking models.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Reminds me of what a good friend of mine says about the porta-potty in his boat and when someone asks if they can use it, "That's not mine, it belongs to the next owner, so we're keeping it clean for him."

Toilets aside, center console boats are just great looking models.

Yeah I have heard that line before. But that won't work on my boat....way to many women and now....kids on board. I don't even have the real Scarab anymore. I sold it in 2011 and bought this....yes I am considering a scale build of this one too...

Couple pics...this one is a tank, 38 feet total length and 12,000 pounds when full of fuel. The cabin has a head, AC and flat screen TV in it as well, much nicer cabin than the Scarab. There is also room in the cabin for two 50+ inch RC boats.

Showing shortly after I bought it (on the trailer), a pic of it docked in Bimini Bahamas and docked behind my house where I do a lot of RC boat testing. The neighborhood dogs love it. LOL

Sneak peek. Notice the weight difference alone. Old motors weigh almost double what the new ones will weigh. Old motors weigh 950 grams. New motors will be at 534 grams. Yes they will be turned into Evinrude's.

Motors on. Came out pretty good. The steering rod from the old motors will line up perfectly to the new motor so no modification at all for the steering. Just need to make a tie rod to connect the motors. The push rod ends you see on the engine bracket are 440 threaded rod ends. The top outside mounting bolt for the motor goes into the rod end and then it's screwed into the top of the platform to give the motors a little more holding power because the CF mounting plates are just epoxied on and the bottom motor bolts are just tapped into the plexi glass. It should hold up well. If I run into no extra roadblocks I may be able to test this thing today before dark.

Yes I made some extension boxes to put the props lower. I also used CR flex cables.

Finally got it running. It was dark out but only because I had to stop working on it for family obligations. Ran it in the canal, pitch dark out there but it was hauling a$$. I'll take some in water pics in the daylight

Just have to redo the mounting for the LiPo's, with the heavy EP1 outboards the batteries had to be shoved all the way up in the bow. These motors are so light that now the batteries have to be moved back which will require some modification to allow the deck to sit in place. But not a big deal. I think it looks killer. Once I get the battery mounting done and I can get the boat to running weight with the deck in place I'll take some in water pics.

Not liking how the water line is done. That thru hull fitting is the discharge (and flush port) for the ESC's. I think I'm going to give the motors their own intake which will clean up the back a little.

What props are you using?

Also, please advise depth of outboard (propshaft) in relation to bottom of hull.

Vert nice nuild, do you know this one ?

This Cigarette is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by chs51 View Post
    What props are you using?
    Red props are 38mm Venom