Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P1 overhaul

Default P1 overhaul

finally picked up the P1 - what a beautiful hull.

Well, I didn't like the tray, the 1/8" flex, the 4mm stub, the 42mm max prop diameter, nor the motor. so I gutted her and stripped off all the hardware.

I laid a layer of heavy fiberglass and whipped up a custom motor mount; that and the stuffing tube are curing right now, so pics on the way. For hardware, I had picked up an MHZ inline for my MHZ shockwave, but it was a bit big for it.... perfect for the P1 AND I can run up to 46mm prop. I will be running my Castle 1520, .150 flex and 3/16" stub. With 1600KV motor, I have my options from 4-6S. I added a set of turn fins and am stewing on torque roll defenses.

Here is the Strudder I went with. I reckon a Fullers might work as well. The problem was that this guy also was set up with the 1/8" to 4mm flex/stub... exactly the same as the venom strudder. So I spent a good bit of time with the stuffing tube of the MHZ hardware and jamming bits of imperial measurement K&S inside so I could run a speed bushing and get me down to the 3/16" inside the strut. I stopped the stuffing tube just at the transom and let the liner bridge the gap between transom and strut. Again, pics to come. I ended up making a 1.5" spacer to get the strut back even more, wanted the prop back closer to 3".
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Where did you pick up the hull only?
    Chief

I got the near RTR boat from Brad on the swapshop. It was pretty much stock, but had some heavy use. I tore into it like I did with your Fastech. You can get the hull and hatch only though, I am glad I got this one, now I have perfect hardware and ESC for my smaller Shockwave.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I love the lines of this hull. I can't wait to see how this build turns out! Do you think the narrow hull can handle a 46mm prop?

Chief

Are their any issues with the strut laying flush at the hull. The p-1 has that roll at the top of the transom that really limits the amount of space to mount aftermarket hardware. Oh yeah, How is my hatch? I'm ready to have it back now. I sold it to Brad to get him back on the water. Then he went and sold the boat! I just got a set of turn fins and wire drive for the stock setup and am now wishing I hadn't sold it.

your hatch is beautiful! i saw that thread - I get the idea the boy is rough on his toys... I have a buddy like that. I am gonna CF the windows then FG the whole bloomin thing - THEN fill it with flotation. I might buy another hatch and fixer up for ya - I just looked and it seems th'ain't nun... When our ponds freeze, I could see sellinerbacktaya - I just hope that ain't this week!

Yes issues, that's why I had to make a spacer for the MHZ hardware - that dang curved transom. it was about 15deg angle, so I cut a piece of pine to space out the hardware. I am thinking of painting it gunmetal or maybe just white like the rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Why the in-line rudder? I hate removing it to get the shaft out and it never goes back on the same way! I do think they look alot better than the offsets.

Inline because I like the looks and am willing to pay in the performance. I will have my racers offset for sure, but for my scalers, looks is at least half of the equation. I have yet to see how she performs. removing flex is not bad, just remove the lower screw and the rudder kicks up - very easy. I am playing with making a little more overhang - more true to scale.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Are their any issues with the strut laying flush at the hull. The p-1 has that roll at the top of the transom that really limits the amount of space to mount aftermarket hardware. Oh yeah, How is my hatch? I'm ready to have it back now. I sold it to Brad to get him back on the water. Then he went and sold the boat! I just got a set of turn fins and wire drive for the stock setup and am now wishing I hadn't sold it.
    Hey Forscott,
    If you want to sell the fins and wire drive let me know. Jesse, Your P1 looks sweet!
    Fountain KOS P1, Formula Fastech, 37 Fightercat Daytona CF twin
    Pulled by Slash 4x4 tow vehical

got it all ready for test run tomorrow. She weighs in at 6.5 pounds... I may need that bigger prop diameter to get her out of the hole. Gonna start with 6S and x642 (I know, 35K rpms... but, small prop, big ESC and flat water. I suspect 4S maybe even 3S for the rough stuff. I loaded her up port side heavy hoping to dampen the torque roll problem. trim tabs oughta help too. Painted windscreen and might be able to reinforce tonight for ample curing time.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Looks like you may have a shot at my record! If you have time, post pics of your setup. What ESC etc? Are you going to gps or radar the run?

I am starting with the Himodel 200 2-7 opto (with external 6V rx pack) and my little Garmin GPS.

Here are pics of the hatch - pretty happy with it and may stay with how it came out. I reinforced with the heavy automotive fg after spraying the windows with pearl purple then black.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Default innards

here are shots of interior. Home-made motor and servo mount, used a piece of the original tray to make the speedo and GPS mount up front.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

You do good work. Those windows look awesome! Glad you put flotation on the hatch. Its tight in these boats with all the electronics. Still have room to move batteries around tho.
    Looks good, ill be on standby for the test results.

Thanks bro. I have that Casio camera showing up Tuesday for some slo mo, but will take out my vidcam for test runs. I am pretty psyched to see how the overhaul holds up to field test. I have tried to incorporate all the issues I have read about in my redesign of the interior and hardware set up. Will post updates as soon as I get out to test. Sposed to snow later this afternoon and my LHS buddy might stop by on his way to work, so could have results around noonish
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

well no buddy, so had to film AND drive. I took a few warm up laps to make sure she would go and to get a feel before splitting my attention. Quick lil vid - chine walk makes me think inline might need to go - wanted to see before ditching the idea.

Also, was on 6S my max target voltage, and didn't spend any time adjusting. and yes the white stuff is snow.

Here is vid.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Crap, It came to a dead stop at 46 mph! Any stress cracks? It seems to run and turn pretty well. Thats beautiful country where you are.

Awesome boat Jesse. That thing is quick! I dont know how you drive and film I have a hard enough time just driving. LOL
    Many issues!!!

Thanks guys. Yes I love the scenery of that pond, even if its snowy.

It had its share of stress cracks before, but fiberglass floor and sides should nip that one.

I hate driving and filming, but its better than no video at all... especially for test runs.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

That motors itchin for a big prop.

ya, it was only 72F, but 200 a speedo was 140F. Thinking I need a 240 or something bigger.

Next run will be on 4S with 445 ish prop. I found that the rudder is kinda woblbly, so might need to rethink that part.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

..... I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Then once I have it running perfectly, I let you know.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    ..... I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Then once I have it running perfectly, I let you know.
    Tricks???? Do tell....

Jesse,
    I recieved the flex cable and tube. Looks like itll get me in the water tomorrow to race my brother. Thanks pal.
    Jerry

Thanks bro. I have that Casio camera showing up Tuesday for some slo mo, but will take out my vidcam for test runs. I am pretty psyched to see how the overhaul holds up to field test. I have tried to incorporate all the issues I have read about in my redesign of the interior and hardware set up. Will post updates as soon as I get out to test. Sposed to snow later this afternoon and my LHS buddy might stop by on his way to work, so could have results around noonish
    Which Casio? I got the EX-fh20. filming at 210fps is best. I love that camera.

I think I am going to replace my flex drive with a wire drive like you. Where did you get everything to do the swap?

Nice pond too.

thanks, pond rules and the scenery is always different, but always beautiful.

yep the very camera. I really like it. can you get yours to focus on the fly, or does it stick to a focal length during filming? What editing program did you use? My free Movie Maker is frustrating me - probably can't handle all the frames; it gets to a point and gets jerky. I played one of the clips in Quicktime and no jerky but no tunes either...

For wire drives, go to Jeff Wholt's site and tell him I sent you - he will take care of you.

Note, I went with .150 flex for now, not wire - but if you wanted to, it won't change the hardware below. I tore out everything and laid fiberglass, then the stuffing tube. I think the best stinger will be the Speedmaster with offset rudder.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by JEDNJONES View Post
    Jesse,
    I recieved the flex cable and tube. Looks like itll get me in the water tomorrow to race my brother. Thanks pal.
    Jerry
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

thanks, pond rules and the scenery is always different, but always beautiful.

yep the very camera. I really like it. can you get yours to focus on the fly, or does it stick to a focal length during filming? What editing program did you use? My free Movie Maker is frustrating me - probably can't handle all the frames; it gets to a point and gets jerky. I played one of the clips in Quicktime and no jerky but no tunes either...
    Which resolution are you trying to edit?
    In slo-mo, I don't think it will focus on the fly, in HD, and VGA, it will if you press the record button half-way. The focusing skills of that camera are less than favorable. I was going to write to Casio about it actually.

For all my editing, I use Pinnacle 10.8, which is old now. Editing HD takes a good video card to do. My old laptop won't even edit HD, because it tells me the video card doesn't have enough ram. The amount of frames is the same 30fps on play back for all recording modes. So if you record in 210fps, playback is still 30fps, that's how you get the slo-mo effect. In all slo-mo modes, there is no sound recorded. And in HD zoom mode, there is no sound recorded.(I hate that fact).
    Recording in youtube mode gives the best resolution for playback on youtube, but I think in slo-mo the clips come out shorter.

And how the heck do you video and drive at the same time?
    I tried driving my rowboat, and the RC at the same time, While having a helmet cam clipped to my hat, it was not all that much fun, LOL.

video and drive sucks.

I got me a high speed flash card on the way, hoping to solve the herky jerky.

Got some vid to rival yours - did you see?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast