Thread: BEC not working on Hobbywing/Seaking ESC?

Default BEC not working on Hobbywing/Seaking ESC?

Hi guys

I just completed the maiden voyage of my Mean Machine.

The motor I used is a Feisuda amp and the ESC is a 120 amp Hobbywing/Seaking ESC.

After like 3-4 mins the boat just stopped. Waited for like 15 minutes and there was no wind and the boat just stayed in the middle of the lake.....

So I swan in the lake to pick up the boat..... Was pretty disappointed to have this problem on the maiden voyage of my newly completed Mean Machine...

Did a number of test at home to determine what is the problem.....

It looks that its the BEC of the ESC that is not working. When I power the receiver with an external power source everything is fine. Thanks god.....

A friend of mine told me that the Hobbywing/Seaking ESC ofter have the BEC behaving funny or just die.....

Has anyone been having similar experience with their BEC from this manufacturer's product?

What is your setup?
    I do ot use a internal bec on any esc over 3s.

I've had it happen......plug in a receiver pack and you should be good to go!

my set up is

Hobbywing/Seaking 120amp
    Feisuda with inbuilt water cooling (the chinese anodized purple one)
    Two 2S Turniguy Lipo battery
    Plastic black propeller from Ebay

Why don't you use an internal BEC over 3S? Will that fry the receiver?

Mine looks that its the internal BEC that die. The ESC still works with and external power supply. Thank god

I was so upset at that time and was even considering selling the boat and get a nice brush motor with an Eco boat...... They are so reliable and fun......

Anyway I am sticking with brushless for the speed and thrill factor

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I've had it happen......plug in a receiver pack and you should be good to go!
    Happened to me also. Others have reported this as well. Rx pack or external UBEC & git' er done
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Yep. I have one that finally died. It died while programming it. I now use a UBEC and FWIW it does not run any cooler with it.
    If all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed!

It's interesting how little information there is on larger servo's and their amp draw.

Some items of note;
    - If the servo is pushing against the rudder at speed or binding it might pull it's maximum amperage

- The Hobbywing BEC is only 3.5a, most servo's are rated at up to 7 amps.

I've had the BEC's fail, BUT only when I was running servo's that are rated to draw more than 5 amps. Might be coincidence. Might not.
    FighterCatRacing Team CHING BLING - Ching Bling. Brilliant, Advanced Sparkle for your hull.

Quote Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
    It's interesting how little information there is on larger servo's and their amp draw.

Some items of note;
    - If the servo is pushing against the rudder at speed or binding it might pull it's maximum amperage

- The Hobbywing BEC is only 3.5a, most servo's are rated at up to 7 amps.

I've had the BEC's fail, BUT only when I was running servo's that are rated to draw more than 5 amps. Might be coincidence. Might not.
    Good points ! Makes me wonder what safety threshold I have using the internal BEC's on my boats. Just so you know, I've had at least a half dozen stand-alone CC BEC's fail - either die altogether or pass battery voltage-taking out Rx's and servos. It's all internal BEC's for me now.While I can't find out the current draw on the EXI D226-F servo I run in several boats, the servo, rated at 185 oz/in cranks a huge rudder on my 9.5 pound Cyberstorm which corners hard enough to bend rudder brackets while being supplied with the internal CC240LV BEC. My findings are consistant with Mr. Mopars in that I'm not finding excessive heat buildup in any of my SC's [AQ UL-1's, Turnigy 120's, Turnigy 180's and the CC240]. Bear in mind that these are all 4S setups.
    I recall seing a recent post explaining that early internal BEC designs did create excessive heat, but later switching designs don't have this characteristic. The only internal bec failure I've experienced recently was a Seaking 180 which I believe suffered from water intrusion. ( The two I'm currently running have been siliconed).
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono