Thread: Stiletto fliping on take off

Default Stiletto fliping on take off

Using a 4s 1pack all the way forward. On take off the boat wants to jump out of water when slightly pulling throttle.
    I have the transmitter epa throttle set to 100%.
    Do I need to raise the engine up slightly so boat takes off more level? Any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

hate to sound like a smart ass but cant u just use a little less power till it gets goin? mine does raise the bow way up but not to flip over...unless i have a full turn into the motor then flip city
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    hate to sound like a smart ass but cant u just use a little less power till it gets goin? mine does raise the bow way up but not to flip over...unless i have a full turn into the motor then flip city
    I give it a tiny bit of throttle and it takes off!

Make sure you calibrated your esc to your transmitter according to the instructions. I didn't pull full throttle when the esc beeped on start up on my Elam and it jumped hard. Once I reset and recalibrated the esc to the transmitter, everything worked just fine.

Cool

I noticed the same thing, after binding it was better. But the throttle is rather sensitive and requires a steady trigger finger on start up. A little practice and it's fine.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

what radio are u useing?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Quote Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post
    what radio are u useing?
    Dx3s-setup according to the Pro boat manual. Manual states "The speed controller will adjust the full throttle position automatically." No where in the manual does it state to pull full throttle after you hear the beep or before the beep. If you want to change timing, you would hold full throttle and then turn on ESC. I guess their is no calibrating the transmitter to the esc on Stilitto, since it is done automaticlly.

What prop are you using??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    What prop are you using??
    GrimRacer metal prop 42 x 55 balanced/sharpened. I have been using this prop for sometime now and noticed sometimes the boat would would jump out of the water with a tiny bit of throttle. Re-tested today and was very careful on the throttle and it seems better, but wants to take off faster even with a tiny bit of throttle. Do you use the stock esc? Do you have the same issue? Do you think an upgraded ESC would be helpful?
    Thanks in advance!

Cool

Try changing the throttle trim so that the motor starts after a very slight movement of the trigger. My DX3S throttle setting as originally set so that there was about 1/4 throttle movement before the motor started, this made it more difficult to apply smooth throttle when starting off.

[QUOTE=Fluid;247760]Try changing the throttle trim so that the motor starts after a very slight movement of the trigger. My DX3S throttle setting as originally set so that there was about 1/4 throttle movement before the motor started, this made it more difficult to apply smooth throttle when starting off.

My throttle trim setting on my Dx3s is set to zero-Your settings?
    My travel settings are Throttle 100% forward and zero back. What settings are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Try changing the throttle trim so that the motor starts after a very slight movement of the trigger. My DX3S throttle setting as originally set so that there was about 1/4 throttle movement before the motor started, this made it more difficult to apply smooth throttle when starting off.

Jay... That makes sense... Mine was doing exactly the same thing as described above. Can you please elaborate on the settings you adjusted??

To answer the question above... I replaced the stock ESC with a Castle Barracuda 125 and the issue went away. It has a MUCH softer startup. If something can be done, however, using the stock ESC, I'd love to put it back in. It fits better!

I think you guys are worrying too much, as CC says:

My Competition X Mamba system in my Mini-T keeps flipping the truck over if I give it too much throttle. When I can keep it rubber side down, it's so fast that I keep hitting things. What's going on?

Congratulations! Perfectly working system!

My buddies BJ26 would do the same thing. It had to do w/ his start up upon connecting batts and hearing the beep. He would just tap the throttle, then tape up and go run. We couldnt figure it out for 2 or 3 runs. Finally I tried it, armed it and pulled full throttle out of habit and the boat ran perfect. It still took us another battery to figure out what I did to make it not jump.

Jay... That makes sense... Mine was doing exactly the same thing as described above. Can you please elaborate on the settings you adjusted??
    The DX3S throttle trim is now set on 50%. The trigger has less than 1/8" of movement before the motor comes on.

The DX3S throttle trim is now set on 50%. The trigger has less than 1/8" of movement before the motor comes on.

Jay, when the trottle hits... does it hit gradually, or is it a pretty "hard" startup, with the radio like this??

Mine didnt act that way. But it would bite when turned in to hard. :-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_HKhOrAfmg
    Proboat Stiletto 29 / ProBoat Miss Elam Brushless / AquaCraft Miss Vegas Deuce FE Conversion

Cool

Jay, when the trottle hits... does it hit gradually, or is it a pretty "hard" startup, with the radio like this??
    It's still pretty abrupt, but because it starts close to initial trigger movement it is easier to gauge.

JD, you have way too much steering, that's why the hooking occurs. I cut my end points down to 50% and the hooking was dramatically reduced. Set you end points so that the boat will just make the tightest turn you need to make.

It's still pretty abrupt, but because it starts close to initial trigger movement it is easier to gauge.

JD, you have way too much steering, that's why the hooking occurs. I cut my end points down to 50% and the hooking was dramatically reduced. Set you end points so that the boat will just make the tightest turn you need to make.

Thanks, Jay...

ON the hooking... Check your hulls on a setup board, and make sure that the last 10" or so of the sponsons set dead flat on the board. Block sand them until they do (like I showed in my race prep thread)... This will help DRAMATICALLY....

Also, this hull can really BITE in the turns... if you drive in too hot, or if the hull starts to "fly" between the apex and the exit buoy, your natural reaction is to turn more. At some point, as Jay indicated, the steering input will be too much and it will grab the outside sponson and roll, or hook. I find that if I ease off the thottle a little, get it biting again, then squeeze back on, it gets through the corner great. All of this happens, obviously, in fractions of a second.

Not quite as forgiving to drive as a TS2 or WoodStuff, but when you get it right, it seems to really go. Blueprint the bottom and that will help a ton on driveability.

Thanks guys. Really enjoying this boat. Blueprinting the hull and tweaking props is going to be fun. Cant wait to attend an event and socialize, learn, and race.

What about the ride attitude? How much sponson do you like to have wet?

My first time out, and after reviewing at the video, my initial though was mine had too much contact patch on plane. That first hook turn was to prevent running across a peninsula while trying to get some up close hi speed passes. Make-A-Wake doesnt like to try to zoom the camcorder in and out while filming the boat.
    Last edited by JDCrow; 11-06-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Proboat Stiletto 29 / ProBoat Miss Elam Brushless / AquaCraft Miss Vegas Deuce FE Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by kevink View Post
    Make sure you calibrated your esc to your transmitter according to the instructions. I didn't pull full throttle when the esc beeped on start up on my Elam and it jumped hard. Once I reset and recalibrated the esc to the transmitter, everything worked just fine.
    how would u reset the ESC?